Turkey Day SHOOTOUT Competition

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, September 15, 2012, 02:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vallhagen

Great one, there Garcho! Cool sounding innovative thing to my ears.

Nice face(-plate) as well. Blackredwhite exceed ignite... Cool.

Cheers

garcho

Thanks y'all, you're too kind!

We're like the fun, down-to-Earth version of NAMM  8)
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

midwayfair

Just have to say, the last two entries are amazing and both sound really excellent.

Gary's is right up my alley, I want to build one! But I'll wait until he's back in town to get an etch image. That would be a lot of parts for perfboard. :)

(There was talk over on Madbean of a group buy for PCBs for Bengt's project if anyone's interested.)
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

garcho

Quotefor Bengt's project if anyone's interested

yes!

what about yours Jon? I keep thinking that next year we're gonna see a bunch of Blue Warbler rip-offs from the pedal 'industry'  >:(  ;D

EDIT: I can send you the etch image at the correct scaling if you want. I couldn't immediately figure out how to post one that's scaled correctly without a bunch of blank space around it, then I lost my patience and posted it as is. But, the trace mask should be correct.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Govmnt_Lacky

At last the true purpose of this contest is coming to light!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D  :icon_mrgreen:

I am very happy that people are discussing interest in the shared layouts and designs!!!

Good luck to all.... ONLY 9 DAYS LEFT!!  :icon_eek:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Jdansti

Gulp...

Artwork is done, but the enclosure is still naked.  Got the board etched and populated. Adding offboard components and praying the sucker will fire up first time. Since this is a new design, although fairly simple, I'm hoping I got it right. Not much time to troubleshoot and do a new board. [insert profusely sweating emoticon]. About the only thing I've got going for me is thanksgiving dinner will be at someone else's home this year. I'm also lucky that my wife hasn't shot me yet for spending so much time on this project. BTW, if the deadline comes and goes and you haven't heard from me, you'll know why...   :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Jdansti on November 13, 2012, 08:52:31 AM
BTW, if the deadline comes and goes and you haven't heard from me, you'll know why...   :icon_rolleyes:

I hear you!!!  ;D

Well, think of it this way...

Enter a pedal... any pedal = About 50% chance to claim a prize.

Don't enter a pedal at all (even one that you are not 100% satisfied with) = 0% chance.

Good Luck with your project! And good luck with the wife  :icon_mrgreen:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

oldschoolanalog

Hide the guns n ammo John. We really want to see what you have in store for this. Your entry in the last contest was in my personal top 3.
Waaaay original! BTW: Do you use that toilet seat much?  (For guitar, that is...  :icon_lol:)
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on November 13, 2012, 09:37:28 AM
Do you use that toilet seat much?

I think we can all admit to playing guitar on the toilet at some point. John is an innovator in the field ;D
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

oldschoolanalog

There is just something about playing guitar in a small room with tiled floor/walls that brings out all the tone.
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

haveyouseenhim

• SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

deadastronaut

good to see 'original' designs coming out.... 8)

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

midwayfair

Quote from: deadastronaut on November 13, 2012, 10:41:05 AM
good to see 'original' designs coming out.... 8)

Seriously. At some point there was a comment that we'd be seeing a bunch of fuzzes with cool graphics. Expectations haev been ground into a fine powder and used to bake battle bread and add a little something to the morning coffee.

Wait, what were we talking about?

Oh right.

original designs good.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Jdansti

Well, last time I combined my favorite two pastimes. This year I'm focusing on circuit simplicity. What I found was trying to make a "simple" circuit do what you want it to do isn't simple.  My circuit is simple, but I ended up with a lot of knobs to make it work right!  I used ideas from several different pedals and did a ton of research and self education. I got it to about 95% of what I wanted the circuit to do.  I could have gone the rest if the way, but I would have had to increase the complexity and basically end up with something similar to what's already been done.  It'll be interesting to see if anyone can provide improvements once it's out.

As Jon said, this contest had turned out to be about original designs.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

pakrat

I'm actually upset that this turned out to be all about original designs since I must build them all now. P.S. John, I LOVED the toilet seat!

Vallhagen

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 15, 2012, 02:31:40 PM

3)   Competition is open to hobby builders only. NO commercial or production builders.

Just a short one, which I need clarified by you judges:

Is there by any means against rule three, if someone near us here on the pedalbuilders part of the web, make a bunch of fabbed PCBs out of my BLÜE MONSTER schematic and sell them in his store to enthusiasts for - say - 9-12 USD each?

... I can't see it can be against the rule, as i'm definately a hobbyist and that store is not mine, just felt that i needed to ask anyway.

I am fairly overwhelmed bout the positive response so far, here and on madbeans forum. Thanx guys!

/Bengt

Hehe... this browsing is addicting too. I can tell i check this page more than once a day ::)

Govmnt_Lacky

@pakrat

There was never a rule AGAINST using an already proven design. It was only stated that "If you use another creators design, in whole or in part, the original design/layout creator MUST BE CREDITED." It just happens that most.. if not all... of the submissions have been original designs in whole or in part.

I think this is fantastic and I am stoked to see original designs thus far!!

@Vallhagan

The whole intention of the "original designs" aspect was to cultivate creativity AND to give other builders a possible design for new projects. I will speak for myself as a judge and say that possible PCB fab runs that derrive from any of the submissions are NOT against the hobby builder rule. In fact, I think it is great that your design is getting that type of reaction! The rule was put in place to ensure a level playing field for ALL of the entrants. We didn't want production builders/business owners to enter and CRUSH the competition. This has been gone over several times in this thread so I believe I will leave it at that.  ;D

Vallhagen

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on November 13, 2012, 11:43:23 AM
... I will speak for myself as a judge and say that possible PCB fab runs that derrive from any of the submissions are NOT against the hobby builder rule. ...

Perfect.  Maybe it was obvious, but to say it again; my stomachfeeling (as we say here in sweden... ) needed it clarified:) Thanx:)

Cheers

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Vallhagen on November 13, 2012, 11:56:30 AM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on November 13, 2012, 11:43:23 AM
... I will speak for myself as a judge and say that possible PCB fab runs that derrive from any of the submissions are NOT against the hobby builder rule. ...

Perfect.  Maybe it was obvious, but to say it again; my stomachfeeling (as we say here in sweden... ) needed it clarified:) Thanx:)

Cheers

No problem!  ;)

As long as this is occurring AFTER your submission it is not a problem. In fact, it is great all around (for you, the forumites, etc.)

pakrat

@Gov I completely understand the rules  ;D I was just pointing out that so far I must build every one of these entries. I'm upset because that brings my build list up to about 50. It is amazing what people come up with when the pressure is on. If the community ever needs great new designs, just run a competition.