Has anybody built a midi control surface?

Started by vendettav, September 23, 2012, 02:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vendettav

Hey guys, I was thinking, has anybody built a control surface?!
I'd want to build one myself thinking it to have a transport control (play pause loop etc), at least a single motorized fader for volume control, some pots for pan and other assignable stuff like pads and switches.

would this be possible?
check my music HERE

Shredtastic psycho metal!

Gurner

Quote from: vendettav on September 23, 2012, 02:48:18 AM
I'd want to build one myself thinking it to have a transport control (play pause loop etc), at least a single motorized fader for volume control, some pots for pan and other assignable stuff like pads and switches.

would this be possible?

It's certainly possible (I've not built a control surface but have done basic pitch to midi) but the motorized fader would cost a lot (to the point it's probably way better to just buy a cheap secondhand complete control surface!)

A midi control surface is essentially ...... a physical sensor (switch, piezo sensor etc) ->Simple AtoD converter (to get the magnitude) -> an MCU (to map the incoming value to a midi parameter) ->A Eusart (to get the data from the MCU serially to your midi receiving unit).

A $1.50 pic has most of those elements - in fact I reckon you could probably source a pic that has all the (non tactile) elements needed (e.g. a PIC with integrated opamps to interface with your sensor etc)...but like I say your challenge would be to source the motorized fader (128 position needed)

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

vendettav

Quote from: Gurner on September 23, 2012, 06:49:50 AM

would this be possible?

It's certainly possible (I've not built a control surface but have done basic pitch to midi) but the motorized fader would cost a lot (to the point it's probably way better to just buy a cheap secondhand complete control surface!)

A midi control surface is essentially ...... a physical sensor (switch, piezo sensor etc) ->Simple AtoD converter (to get the magnitude) -> an MCU (to map the incoming value to a midi parameter) ->A Eusart (to get the data from the MCU serially to your midi receiving unit).

A $1.50 pic has most of those elements - in fact I reckon you could probably source a pic that has all the (non tactile) elements needed (e.g. a PIC with integrated opamps to interface with your sensor etc)...but like I say your challenge would be to source the motorized fader (128 position needed)

Ok lets actually disregard the motorized fader bit. I'm a noob when it comes to the digital world, so could you please be more detailed in your replies and may be even get some links to get me started, because you're post is already helpful A LOT :)
I'm also seeing this as a small box not a huge controller surface really
check my music HERE

wavley

I'm normally all about the DIY, but I have the Korg NanoKontrol and it's really hard to beat for $50, I'm pretty sure that I couldn't build such a thing for less than that.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

vendettav

I'm actually thinking of getting that too, but this was an interesting idea that popped into my head and I figured this might be useful as a piece of new knowledge/experience.

I'm still willing to at least plan the project even if it's still expensive to build at least I'll have some new knowledge :)

except I dont know where to start haha
check my music HERE

Gurner

Quote from: vendettav on September 24, 2012, 04:21:54 PM
Quote from: Gurner on September 23, 2012, 06:49:50 AM

would this be possible?

Ok lets actually disregard the motorized fader bit. I'm a noob when it comes to the digital world, so could you please be more detailed in your replies and may be even get some links to get me started, because you're post is already helpful A LOT :)
I'm also seeing this as a small box not a huge controller surface really

in the light of your post, I'm thinking here that such a project (midi control surface) would be perhaps biting off a little more than is chewable.

What I would say is that it will always involves some form of MCU ...if you're up to speed on programming, then buy a PIC & start doing basic stuff ....basic A to D, spitting serial data out of the PIC to your PC com port etc. once you've learnt all the various aspects in the chain (outlined in my original reply), then it's just a case of gluing them together so to speak.

deadastronaut

@V:   check out youtube vids for converting a usb game pad  controller to midi...cheapy cheap cheap... :)

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

vendettav

^^ well that sounds like indeed being a bit more than is chewable atm :/

Quote from: deadastronaut on September 25, 2012, 03:59:52 AM
@V:   check out youtube vids for converting a usb game pad  controller to midi...cheapy cheap cheap... :)

that sounds interesting Rob, I'll go see it now but do you think it'd be possible to glue a fader somewhere there? lol
check my music HERE

wavley

Quote from: vendettav on September 24, 2012, 05:07:07 PM
I'm actually thinking of getting that too, but this was an interesting idea that popped into my head and I figured this might be useful as a piece of new knowledge/experience.

I'm still willing to at least plan the project even if it's still expensive to build at least I'll have some new knowledge :)

I wasn't poo pooing your idea.  The whole thing is fascinating to me actually.  I was just giving you an alternative that's cheaper than building.  If you come up with something I would be quite interested in building one for myself.

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

vendettav

Quote from: wavley on September 25, 2012, 09:17:30 AM
Quote from: vendettav on September 24, 2012, 05:07:07 PM

I wasn't poo pooing your idea.  The whole thing is fascinating to me actually.  I was just giving you an alternative that's cheaper than building.  If you come up with something I would be quite interested in building one for myself.
actually thanks for the followup. I'm thinking at least trying and planning somehting would still be wiorth the time due to all the experience and knowledge gained. I just really don't know much when it comes to digital electronics, could you get me some good links to read or some other kind of guidance help? :)
check my music HERE

wavley

I have a friend that built a DIY monome, it's more for controlling ableton.  Otherwise, my only real experience with digital is the Meeblip synth built around an AVR.  Though, the Meeblip site and diy monome searches might turn up some good info for you. 

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

vendettav

Alright I'll have a look at them thanks

Hmm here's a question I've been wondering on for awhile now. Would making just a midi controller be easier than also implementing midi to usb?
check my music HERE

Strategy

www.highlyliquid.com

makes a kit around $45.00 for a DIY midi controller basic thing, you pick the controls!

Strategy
-----------------------------------------------------
www.strategymusic.com
www.community-library.net
https://soundcloud.com/strategydickow
https://twitter.com/STRATEGY_PaulD

vendettav

hmm woudlnt an Arduino be cheaper and more versatile and also have straight usb connection?!
check my music HERE

wavley

Quote from: vendettav on October 08, 2012, 06:44:53 AM
hmm woudlnt an Arduino be cheaper and more versatile and also have straight usb connection?!

I think that's what the DIY monomes are all about.

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

vendettav

the reason im asking is cause I'd prefer a USB connection along (but not necessarily) with a MIDI in/out or thru

anyways, another reason is that I can easily find an arduino board for 20 on ebay plus shipping to my country which seems like a nice deal really

are there any dos and dont dos with arduino boards? like what kind of arduino board should I get?

check my music HERE

deadastronaut

heres a cheapy novel  idea....butcher a qwerty..... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxaClh7FACw

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2007/08/get-loopy-with-the-diy-10-ableton-footcontroller-no-soldering-required/

in the right hands it could be fun+ useful....... :icon_twisted:

get hold of a mini qwerty/usb...and build a box with bigger buttons etc... :icon_idea:

vendettav

Hey Rob one thing I didn't get from the controller. is he basically just assigning keys from the keyboard in ableton? I'd want the controlls to send OSC or MIDI data. is there a software that can transform usb keyboard command sinto midi, while leaving my onboard keyboard (I'm a laptop user) intact? This way it'd have some good potentiial yeah!
check my music HERE