PUNCH - 1W amplifier

Started by tca, September 24, 2012, 06:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tca

Quote from: chromesphere on July 08, 2013, 07:13:36 AM
g 1.7
s 9v
d 1.3v
That can not be right! Drain should be 9V and Gate 0V (1M to ground)?

P.S.
Pot volume?!?!? Are using the TDA7052 chip? Or the TDA7052A...?
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

chromesphere

hmmm...maybe the transistor is knackered!

Yep, its the 7052A

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

tca

Quote from: chromesphere on July 08, 2013, 07:44:07 AM
hmmm...maybe the transistor is knackered!
Yep, its the 7052A
Paul
Or badly connected (check pins labels). Are you using chptunes TDA7052A version?

chromesphere

Yeah, using this one except without the resistor on the load (added the resistor made no difference really).

Rock_on

Is this enough to fill in our classroom (about one normal living room) and the gymnasium in our school (yeah i know it's big but we're just few people gathering for a bible study)

And is this transparent? I mean very clean?

Rock_on

Sorry for many postings

Rock_on

Sorry for many postings

Rock_on

Is this enough to fill in our classroom (about one normal living room) and the gymnasium in our school (yeah i know it's big but we're just few people gathering for a bible study)

tca

Quote from: Rock_on on July 08, 2013, 08:59:52 AM
It is very clean if you power it with a wall wart.

I think it will work in a classroom nicely. I guess the gym is just a gathering place, all of you will be closed packed around near the amp, it would work too.

Cheers.

P.S.

Please try to avoid repeated posts.

Electron Tornado

How is it working with a 100k linear pot for the volume control? The datasheet calls for a 1M ohm pot. Just wondering.

Quote from: chromesphere on July 08, 2013, 08:11:20 AM

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

chromesphere

Hey Electron,

I didnt design that schematic check back at, i think its on page 4.

I was going to ask, anyone know if you can replace that 2n5457 with a j201 and the buffer will still work?  I think i read ages ago, you can essenitally use any jfet for a buffer?

I'm going to try replacing that transistor tonight.  I know that for about 5-10 secs i reverse polaritied the circuit.  Wondering if i blew it.   Everything was going so well...not sure how i managed to mess up something so simple, so serverly :)

Paul

Electron Tornado

Quote from: chromesphere on July 08, 2013, 08:15:03 PM
Hey Electron,

OK, but have you built it with the 100k linear pot? If so, I'm just wondering how it worked for you.
  • SUPPORTER

Who is John Galt?

chromesphere

Quote from: Electron Tornado on July 08, 2013, 09:04:47 PM
Hey Electron,

OK, but have you built it with the 100k linear pot? If so, I'm just wondering how it worked for you.

LOL forgot to mention that!  :)  I used a 500k linear pot for mine, what i had lying around.  I think you might get extra volume with a 1meg pot.  Not sure why the schematic has 100k?  Maybe 100k+ distorts...idk...but im pretty sure you want an log pot anyway, not a linear.
Paul

Electron Tornado

Quote from: chromesphere on July 08, 2013, 09:08:45 PM
LOL forgot to mention that!  :)  I used a 500k linear pot for mine, what i had lying around. 

OK, thanks. I was just wondering. I built one using a 1M log pot: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=100717.msg911855#msg911855

It works well, but I think it will sound better with a preamp, although my first try at a preamp sounded awful. The chip gets mighty hot, though, so it's got a heat sink.
  • SUPPORTER

Who is John Galt?

tca

I know that for about 5-10 secs i reverse polaritied the circuit.  Wondering if i blew it.
Yes!

Rock_on

The repeated postings are caused by a bug in my phone

When i selected post it would load then sometimes the wifi will turned off causing the page not to load to the new page which would make me click the post again

chromesphere

Quote from: tca on July 09, 2013, 04:09:04 AM
I know that for about 5-10 secs i reverse polaritied the circuit.  Wondering if i blew it.
Yes!

Replaced it.  Bang, we're back in business.

So here's my REAL REVIEW of the punch amp.  Now that I have one actually working properly.

I've learnt a valuable lesson about power and speakers.  1watt can drive 2x12inch loudspeakers.  The speakers have a huge bearing on how much volume you can get out of an amp.  I was getting a decent output from just a 6inch hifi speaker (in a cabinet), decided to plug it into my 2x12 fender twin (70's not a reissue) and...what can I say?  Its "I need to turn this down cause my ears hurt" loud. 

Its very clean and has quite a pleasing tone.  I would be happy to practice with this amp any time!

Thank you TCA for sharing this, you've turned my unhappy amp experience into a good one!

Paul

tca

^ I'm glad you like your build! It is a wonderful little amp.

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: chromesphere on July 09, 2013, 07:32:29 AM
So here's my REAL REVIEW of the punch amp.  Now that I have one actually working properly.

I've learnt a valuable lesson about power and speakers.  1watt can drive 2x12inch loudspeakers.  The speakers have a huge bearing on how much volume you can get out of an amp.  I was getting a decent output from just a 6inch hifi speaker (in a cabinet), decided to plug it into my 2x12 fender twin (70's not a reissue) and...what can I say?  Its "I need to turn this down cause my ears hurt" loud. 

Its very clean and has quite a pleasing tone.  I would be happy to practice with this amp any time!

Thank you TCA for sharing this, you've turned my unhappy amp experience into a good one!

Paul

I have an old Crate 2x12 open-back cab.  With a quiet drummer I can get by using a 1/2W Noisy Cricket derivative on 9V power. 
With a loud drummer, I need to switch to at least my 150W amp and turn it up most of the way.  :icon_eek:

chromesphere

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on July 09, 2013, 10:18:16 AM
I have an old Crate 2x12 open-back cab.  With a quiet drummer I can get by using a 1/2W Noisy Cricket derivative on 9V power.  
With a loud drummer, I need to switch to at least my 150W amp and turn it up most of the way.  :icon_eek:

lol, yeah I don't think its going to replace my bad cat or fender twin as far as volume goes, but im totally amazed how much volume you can get out of 9v's an IC and 5-6 components.  I was quite shocked!  I'd read about this sort of stuff a million times but yeah...just didn't expect it to be so loud!  You could seriously annoy the neighbours with this, its bloody loud! Great stuff!
Paul