Author Topic: Homemade tone pedal... help/advice (first time)  (Read 4111 times)

Korky Blues

Homemade tone pedal... help/advice (first time)
« on: October 02, 2012, 07:58:33 PM »
I recently disovered I have an old (about 2yrs old) alpha pot, that I purchased and never used. It was bought for putting onto a bass guitar I was building, but didn't need it. Any of you good folk in the know if I could use it for a homemade tone pedal?

Just going to be something simple, one input, one output, one switch to turn the tone on or off, with a knob for adjustment and an LED for visual on/off. Would prefer not to use a battery, but put a mains connector on it. It's a 250k pot, I wouldn't know what type of wiring/resistors/anything else I would need to use.

Thank you in advance :)

Korky Blues

Re: Homemade tone pedal... help/advice (first time)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 08:11:50 PM »
Also, is it a worthwhile project?

CurtisWCole

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 08:39:57 PM »
Personally I would go ahead with a booster. Check out the beginner project and see if its something you think is worth trying. My opinion on a tone pedal is to not build one. But it always comes down to making yourself happy.

Curtis
Composers shouldn't think too much - it interferes with their plagiarism.
Howard Dietz

Quackzed

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 09:03:06 PM »
i was thinking the exact same thing. the beginner project is a really nice booster and is easier to build due to it being designed with first time builders in mind.
the important thing is to help you to avoid headaches and frustration with your first build. you could easily incorporate a tone control into it with a little help and a little understanding. its a well respected booster and has been built by many as a first build. while you could just wire a tone pot with a cap up, and bypass it with a 3pdt footswitch and a led / resistor, the results may or may not act how you want depending on what you plug into it and what you plug it into. for reasons that arent obvious, passive circuits can behave very differently with different gear, which is a design consideration of all active effects.
these 'considerations' help to avoid tone sucking, noise, bass loss etc... which you may encounter with passive circuits (no power)...
anyway, i'd say do the beginner project. you can use it to push your amp, or other effects, as a solo boost its a usefull circuit, and you could always add a tone pot to it and make it into a tone pedal in addition to a boost...
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

Korky Blues

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 06:51:28 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll get a look at the booster pedal  :icon_biggrin: