A/DA Through Zero Flanger... Now in Stereo!

Started by danfrank, January 17, 2021, 08:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfrank

Ok, so I had to build a second one of these contraptions... My 1st (prototype) one is on the left, the 2nd on the right. The 2nd one is so much cleaner looking because I already knew what I wanted in the build.
I used a 3.5mm jack in each box that I can use as an umbilical cord to carry over the LFO signal from the 1st one to the 2nd one so I can configure it as a
LFO "master/slave". Each box can be used independently from the other one also. I can also use both boxes in series for 4 delay lines.
I'll try to get some audio up soon

iainpunk

that looks great, and the right one looks neatly done as well, although both are more tidy than my builds, haha,

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Mark Hammer

It's been a while since I fired it up, but I have a pair of Boss BF-1 flangers.  I lifted one end of the dry-signal mixing resistor on each and whipped up a splitter/mixer such that I could feed both flangers and mix their outputs.  The BF-1 has an initial/manual delay control with a reciprocal relationship to the Depth control (i.e., wider sweep width means less effect of the Manual/Initial control, and vice versa).

The setup allows one of the flangers to function as the "dry" signal time-stagger for TZF.  The neat thing is that if the time stagger is big enough, the sweep spends more time on "the other side of zero", before returning through it.  One can also introduce sweep into what serves as the "dry" signal, such that the thru-zero point keeps moving around.

danfrank

Hey, that sounds familiar, lol!
I was going to originally make the second delay fixed and use just the 2nd manual control to set how many milliseconds the fixed delay is... But there was room on the Lectric FX PCB (each channel uses 2 of these PCBs) to add the second LFO so I just added it for versitality. I find that the best TZ effect can be had when both delay lines are swept by the same LFO and one delay line is set with the "range" knob fully CW and the other delay line has the "range" knob set about 1/4 to 1/2 way. I guess this would be the BBD equivalent of using two tape players to get flange effect.
I've added some other different LFO functions that's not on this schematic, as this is the only schematic on my phone.
The one caveat is that both BBDs need to have very close bias voltages as they are direct coupled to the op amp that feeds them. Not too hard to do if you have several MN3007s.

Here's the schematic for one channel. Both pics go end to end so the connections (letters - A, B, C, etc) line up.