Jangle Switch on a Tonepad Ross Comp?

Started by mipo, October 31, 2012, 06:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mipo

I have a Tonepad Ross comp (http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=9) clone I build several years ago and, since I understand that the Janglebox compressor is a modified Ross/Dynacomp compressor, I'd like to add a jangle switch to it. Is this possible?

R.G.

Maybe, at some level. One way is to wire a switch that replaces the whole Ross compressor circuit with the janglebox. If one knew exactly what a Ross and a Janglebox were in detail (that is, had the schematics) one could rig some number of switches to make the changeover.

If one had the two schematics.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

JustinFun

All you need to do (I believe) is make the 1nf cap parallel with the 150k resistor (just before Q2) switchable.

When I did it, I used an on-off-on with a 1nf (classic) and 470-ish-pf (bright) to give 3 modes - the jangle mod does give some extra hiss so this way you get another bright but less noisy option thrown in.

Just thinking - could you use a pot to sweep between the 1nf and no cap? might give some more flexibility?

mipo

Quote from: R.G. on October 31, 2012, 11:54:03 PM
Maybe, at some level. One way is to wire a switch that replaces the whole Ross compressor circuit with the janglebox. If one knew exactly what a Ross and a Janglebox were in detail (that is, had the schematics) one could rig some number of switches to make the changeover.

If one had the two schematics.

Point taken.  :-[

mipo

Quote from: JustinFun on November 01, 2012, 12:28:45 AM
All you need to do (I believe) is make the 1nf cap parallel with the 150k resistor (just before Q2) switchable.

Ah, so that's the one. Cool, thanks.

QuoteWhen I did it, I used an on-off-on with a 1nf (classic) and 470-ish-pf (bright) to give 3 modes - the jangle mod does give some extra hiss so this way you get another bright but less noisy option thrown in.

What does the middle/off mode give you or sound like?

QuoteJust thinking - could you use a pot to sweep between the 1nf and no cap? might give some more flexibility?

Perhaps; I'm a bit crammed for space in the enclosure as it is, though, but maybe. Would each cap have one leg on pot lug 2, then the remaining on 1 and 3, respectively?

JustinFun

The 'off' position is the 'jangle box' mode, the 470pf (experiment with values - not sure what I used now) is a 'brighter than stock but less bright than jangle' mode). As f

JustinFun

Sorry - finger slipped!

As for the pot I'm not sure - but I think you could pan between the 2 caps by connecting leg 1 of cap 1 to lug 1 of the pot, leg 1 of cap 2 to lug 3 of the pot, then run a wire from lug 2 to one of the cap holes on the pcb, and another wire from leg 2 of both caps to the other hole on the pcb.

Alternatively you might be able to wire a pot as a variable resistor in series with the 1nf cap? I don't know, others here are much better at that sort of thing than me.

mipo

Quote from: JustinFun on November 01, 2012, 09:57:24 AMAs for the pot I'm not sure - but I think you could pan between the 2 caps by connecting leg 1 of cap 1 to lug 1 of the pot, leg 1 of cap 2 to lug 3 of the pot, then run a wire from lug 2 to one of the cap holes on the pcb, and another wire from leg 2 of both caps to the other hole on the pcb.

Alternatively you might be able to wire a pot as a variable resistor in series with the 1nf cap? I don't know, others here are much better at that sort of thing than me.

I may experiment with that before I re-box it just to see what happens; thanks.

Mustachio

I built a dynacomp with the jangle mod on vero a while back , one of my favorites too!

Here's the vero I used theres a lil discussion under it that might help.

I'd suggest looking at what the jangle switch connects to on the vero and which components coincide with from the tonepad layout.
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

Mustachio

"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"