Decimator Gstring Debug / Help!

Started by jmasciswannabe, November 04, 2012, 05:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark56

Hi Slacker, thanks for responding. Yes, I have the connections going to where C3 was. I then have Guitar Out linked to Dec Return with Dec Send going to amp which gives no output. If I connect Send to Return, (as you suggested) I would only have the Guitar Out to connect to the amp which is just the ungated signal.

I also have the Vr connection going to the spare hole to the left of the bottom connection of R22 which I believe is correct.

slacker

I'm not sure what you mean by Guitar Out, I can't see anything called that on either layout. I think you're connecting it up wrong though, on the non gstring you plug your guitar into "Input", the signal splits after the first opamp, it goes though C5 to the control part of the noise gate, this is signal that turns the gate on and off. It also goes though C3 to the audio part of the gate, and then the noise gated signal comes out of "Output".
In the gstring, you plug your guitar into "Input", the signal still goes though C5 to control the gate but instead of going through C3, it goes to "send" instead, to an effect pedal say, then from the pedal into "return", where it then goes into the audio part of the gate, and the noise gated signal comes out of "Output".
This means your straight guitar signal is controlling the gate, but the audio can be affected by what ever you put in the send/return loop. If you connect send straight to return the send/return loop is just replacing C3 and it should work exactly the same as a non gstring.

Mark56

Guitar out I was relating to is marked as Output on the main board.

I tried connecting Send to the Return and it does function just like the non G String, I then connected a loud noisy distortion pedal and it works just like it should, stop playing guitar and blissful silence.

This is what threw me: http://www.isptechnologies.com/manuals/Decimator%20G%20String%20Pedal%205-13-092.pdf It shows guitar to Input, Output to effects pedals back to DEC IN, then from DEC OUT to the amp. This manual doesn't label the jack connections the same way they are on the circuit boards, you have to reverse the DEC OUT (SEND) and the Guitar Output connections and it works.

Thanks soooooo much for getting me on the right track, problem solved, and reading this it may help some others.

TTFBuilder

Okay so I used Harold's revised PCB http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=99848.msg956305#msg956305

Added the components listed here. http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=99848.msg962474#msg962474

Otherwise, I used this layout.http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=99848.msg956242#msg956242

Now, I'm still about as clear as mud on which input, output, send, return corresponds to the ISP G-String in, out, dec in, dec out.

Also, I don't have a switch so it's constantly on but I am getting no sound whatsoever. I have poured over this thread(very helpful actually) and I think it's all wired up correctly but still no profit.

I truly believe the issue lies with the correct input/output.

Thanks!

TTFBuilder

Quote from: DIMstompboxes on March 09, 2014, 06:16:39 AM

Performance is the same with my CA3080 downward expander on the front of the chain only this one has send/return.  I test it both with my Boss NS2 on send/return setting, NS2 has better decay in sustain note due to NS2 has DECAY control.  Maybe its too early for me to comment and I need to adjust the trimmer more for much better result.
Version "B" works exactly the same with version "C" 
I used one TLE2072 and one LF353 for dual amp, two LF347 for quad amp.

Cheers,
Roger

Roger, in your build, what is the pink wire connecting the two lower inputs?

TTFBuilder

I think I got it working.

I soldered in the transistors instead of socketing them and then suddenly the thing seemed to work. Woot.

Good build as long as you follow Harold's mods!

chaohore

hello i have problem
how to connect 9dpdt

someone can help me?  i use inlay version

now i'm connect
in= guitar in
out= output
send= effect send
return= effect return

it's don't have anything  but  distrotion from my engl it's to clean

please guide me

regards