Decimator Gstring Debug / Help!

Started by jmasciswannabe, November 04, 2012, 05:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Not to be a pest or anything...  ::)

Could someone (Harold??) please repost a good etch transfer for the G-string?

Also, could someone post the complete component layout with it as well?  ;D  :icon_twisted:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

DIMstompboxes

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 20, 2014, 07:13:59 AM
Quote from: DIMstompboxes on February 19, 2014, 07:35:29 PM
1. Is it ok to use 1n914 diode as replacement for 4148 for this job? I got lot of them but no 4148...
2. I counted 6 jumper wire, Am I correct?
3. Trimmer 1M wiper should be attached to r36 (1k) resistor? How do I calibrate this trimmer?

1) YES
2) No idea. Probably need Harold to answer that one.
3) Set the trimmer so the "effect" level out is the same as the "bypass" volume.

Dont know if the 2181B will be the same as the 2181C. I was under the impression that the "C" version was critical to this build. Please let us know.

Thanks Lacky, I will...It so happened that Farnell minimum was 20pounds just also by curiosity I included 1pc " B" version and to reach that minimum.
@ fendman, what resistor (ohm) that you used as your jumper? Kind of new to me  :) mman you're quicky fast....

Tony Forestiere

Quote from: DIMstompboxes on February 20, 2014, 07:08:48 PM
Thanks Lacky, I will...It so happened that Farnell minimum was 20pounds just also by curiosity I included 1pc " B" version and to reach that minimum.
@ fendman, what resistor (ohm) that you used as your jumper? Kind of new to me  :) mman you're quicky fast....

The resistors with the single black band used a jumpers are "zero ohm" resistors used in "pick and place" machines.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

fendman

@ fendman, what resistor (ohm) that you used as your jumper? Kind of new to me   mman you're quicky fast....

Hey Roger, I use these zero ohm resistors all the time on builds...they look kinda neater. Anyway I get them from Farnell UK  Part No 9339027... if you are USA side

probably you can get them at Newark :icon_smile:

Mike

DIMstompboxes

Ya, you're right Mike. my Bourns 3362 can't fit in   :icon_eek:  bummer
Anyhow, is it a set and forget thing? I may use 1M pot to calibrate then use fixed resistor later  :icon_rolleyes:

BTW Local store has 1N5818 only, can I use it? no available 1N5819  ....Lacky, Harold....Mike... anyone...

fendman

Quote from: DIMstompboxes on February 21, 2014, 07:26:38 AM
Ya, you're right Mike. my Bourns 3362 can't fit in   :icon_eek:  bummer
Anyhow, is it a set and forget thing? I may use 1M pot to calibrate then use fixed resistor later  :icon_rolleyes:

BTW Local store has 1N5818 only, can I use it? no available 1N5819  ....Lacky, Harold....Mike... anyone...

Hey Roger, As far as I know the 1meg trimmer is just to set the unity gain so I suppose you can calibrate and use a fixed resistor.

The 1N5819.. well the circuit says 1N4001...I have both and I actually used the 1N4001 :icon_confused: you will be OK with the 1N5818  the only difference

between that and the 1N5819 is the max repetitive reverse voltage which is 30v for the 1N5818  and 40volts for the 1N5819.

Mike

DIMstompboxes

Hey Mike,
As per Harold notes:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I found this differences between the layout and the schematic:

Component   Schematic   Layout
D3   1N4148   2x1N4148
D4   1N4148   2x1N4148
R9   27K   51K
R10   100K   150K
R12   10M   20M
R13   20K   12K
R14   20K   12K
R30   10K   20K
R32   68K  22K
R37   620R   560R
-----------------------------------------------
R32 is 100K on the schematic he gave. But on his note is 22K
R33 what value? I used 1M as schem
C3 what value? I used 10uf

I'll try that 1N5818... maybe the voltage drop, need not to be significant compare to 4001?
I'm almost halfway populating my board and I found that R32....

fendman

I more or less stuck to the schematic, Harold said in an earlier post the schem was correct, so will see what happens.

i should get the rest of the parts in the morning. and sometime this weekend should have it running.

I saw Harold had two sets of IN/OUT connections  and  two jacks on the top off the enclosure which I thought might be Send/Return.

If he reads this would like him to maybe explain what he did...would be useful..unless you know Roger.

Mike

Harold

Quote from: fendman on February 21, 2014, 05:15:29 PM
I more or less stuck to the schematic, Harold said in an earlier post the schem was correct, so will see what happens.

Yep: that's the way to go!   ;D

I saw Harold had two sets of IN/OUT connections  and  two jacks on the top off the enclosure which I thought might be Send/Return.

If he reads this would like him to maybe explain what he did...would be useful..

I've added a passive loop to be able to use it as a patch box on a pedal board. It's nothing more than 2 jacks and a piece of wire, so ignore that if you don't need it.
DIY-Layout.com: Online stripboard layouts

DIMstompboxes

i should get the rest of the parts in the morning. and sometime this weekend should have it running.

If he reads this would like him to maybe explain what he did...would be useful..unless you know Roger.

Mike

That two sets of IN/OUT maybe just a parallel hummmm maybe for the two guitar. Harold is busy with his first born.
He didn't used truebypass (3DPT) switch I think.

fendman

Thanks Harold for the quick reply, that is appreciated, one less thing to worry about :icon_razz: I just saw Roger post as I was sending this.

DIMstompboxes

Ah you're here how's life to be a father....
I see one set is passive and the other one is active
BTW is it required to use 1N5819 for the circuit?
so
R32 is 100k
R33 is 1M
C3 is 10uf

DIMstompboxes

NOTE: R12 on schematic is just 10M  It should be 20M as per Harold's notes

Anyone...my (green) u33K box cap is same as 330n value ?? Am I correct?

fendman

Quote from: DIMstompboxes on February 21, 2014, 09:23:04 PM
NOTE: R12 on schematic is just 10M  It should be 20M as per Harold's notes

Anyone...my (green) u33K box cap is same as 330n value ?? Am I correct?

Looks ok to me, .33uf is 330n  the K is normally tolerance. I did put a 20M in R12. Got a few new parts this morning so hope to get it done later today :icon_wink:

Mike

Harold

I never posted this pic, did I?  ???

I can't etch myself, so I ordered and populated 2 boards, just in case. I used the multi turn trimpots, but frankly: I hate those. I never know when to turn which way, and you almost can't tell when you're turning it beyond the range. Ah, well ... since it's "set and forget". Did I mention I set it using a 65mV~ input sine and measuring the output with my DMM?

Anyway, sorry for not posting that often, my newborn gets most of my attention (and time ;)).

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 20, 2014, 09:56:00 AM

Also, could someone post the complete component layout with it as well?  ;D  :icon_twisted:

Anyone?? Please!  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

armdnrdy

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 22, 2014, 09:17:12 AM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 20, 2014, 09:56:00 AM

Anyone?? Please!  ;D

Look on the first page of this thread.  :icon_wink:
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Harold

DIMstompboxes

Phew Mike, I managed to solder the bourns 3386 trimmer underneath, just tack first the wiper to the 1k resistor and sneak in your solder (thin) tip after that for the rest. (just double check the continuity) afterward or redo the procedure.

I just received my THAT2181C and B version IC and waiting for online order of 1n5819 plus 1590 case to finish the job....

fendman

Hey , nice job Roger. I took the easier route and put a Vert trimmer in.  I got mine working a couple of days ago...Just to mention one point,  I was almost caught out

by useing my test rig which has no send/return sockets. It didn't work obviously, so I had to put a jumper in the circuit  send/return.

It probably won't catch you out...but somebody with not much experience might not know.

I haven't had time to box it yet, but its going to be a useful pedal it works a lot better than the other noise gate we were doing :icon_smile:

Hope yours works great...let me know.

Mike