Looking to build a small digital box that plays back a single audio loop

Started by blackbutterflyian, November 12, 2012, 06:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackbutterflyian

Hi guys,

I'm looking to build a digital music box that plays back a single audio loop. I've thought of cannibalizing an existing looping pedal that can store loops and mating with a cigarette box amp but there must be a cheaper (if not time consuming) way to do this. It will take a good while to get up to speed on everything that is involved but I'm patient and inspired!

I don't need to record directly into this device. I only need it to play back something I've recorded. I don't need it to store multiple loops either.

If anyone can steer me in a good direction I would be really, really grateful.

Thanks,
Ian

slacker

The easiest and cheapest thing to do is probably to buy a £10 MP3 player and stick that in a box with an LM386 based amp. In fact depending on how loud you want it to be you might not even need the amp.

blackbutterflyian

Thanks Ian!

That does make a lot of sense and that should get me going very quickly.

PRR

The other, bad, option is to get one of those greeting cards (or stuffed animals or books) that records a message from grandma to the kids. Press a hidden button, it records for 20 seconds. Press the main button, it plays back.

The only easy signal input is via a 3-cent microphone. (Output may be another hassle.) There's about 2 cents of digital storage. The fidelity is awful. They are not meant to playback looping (though jamming the Play button *may* work). And funny enough, they are awful hard to find at the right price WHEN you need one. Several places sell cards books bears for $30-$90 every day. Once in a while they go to surplus, but never when you need it.

Ian's cheap MP3 is probably a FAR better place to start. Unless you happen to have a recording-bear sitting unloved in the closet.
  • SUPPORTER

Processaurus

Not as cheap as the $10 MP3 player, but I've been tempted to pick up the Sparkfun MP3 Trigger for specialized projects that need to translate an electrical pulse to playing an MP3.

egasimus

In case you're comfortable with programming AVRs, this comes to mind:
http://elm-chan.org/works/sd8p/report.html
This guy's a genius. I've built the music box from his site (basically, a six-voice wavetable synth squeezed into a chip with 2k of flash memory) for a friend - works like a charm!

Also, check this one out: http://txyzinfo.blogspot.com/2012/11/AVR-attiny2313-wav-music-player-from-SD-card-microSD-MMC.html

Try googling "attiny wav player" yourself, there's a thing or two that might pique your interest.