PCB design help!

Started by errolwest, August 29, 2017, 10:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

errolwest

Hey everyone!
long time lurker, first time poster here.

Ive been building pedals for a couple years now, but only pre existing desgins. done some kits, etched some pcbs, a couple point to point builds-but never anything of my own design(until now!) Could i get some expert opinions on what ive done wrong aNd what ive done right? Ill upload a schematic, and I also have some diptrace files for my first attempt at laying it out as a pcb.

any insights would be huuuugely appreciated because im mostly just making a lot of (kind of) educated guesses here.

and of course, if this is the wrong place for this type of stuff/not allowed please move or delete it.

thanks!

EDIT: image resized because, good lord

ElectricDruid

What's going on with those op-amps? They look like voltage buffers, but the loop from the output to the -ve input looks like it got mixed up with the ground. Otherwise, you've got -ve input connected to ground, and that's a comparator - the heaviest of heavy fuzz!

Tom

antonis

Quote from: ElectricDruid on August 30, 2017, 06:10:45 AM
the heaviest of heavy fuzz!
An almost perfect square wave output..  :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

Quote from: errolwest on August 29, 2017, 10:57:13 PM
EDIT: image resized because, good lord

EXCELENT! if only ever first poster (and welcome to the forum) took the time and the care. only, did the resize vanish all the values, or are they secret? and, you also have no bias on those oppies.
don't make me draw another line.

Kipper4

Ssshh :) it's a secret how we do it.

Welcome Errol
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

antonis

Quote from: duck_arse on August 30, 2017, 11:07:22 AM
you also have no bias on those oppies.
Ahaaaa....

GND isn't considered bias, is it..??  :icon_mrgreen:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

KarenColumbo

This is gonna be crayzee stuff, I'm sure *popcorn*
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

errolwest

ahhh shoot. ok so somethings that might clarify whats going on here:
the first chunk of this is an acopulco gold and i added a tone stack and a gain recovery stage. i either referenced a really awful schematic or somehow manged to bungle uploading the finished schematic i came up with(this could explain why theres no values. i definitely put in values ahah).

ahhh what a mess! when i get home from work in a few hours ill figure outwhatsgoing on here because this is clearly...not right haha

errolwest

also thanks for not totally laughing me off the board haha. my ego is fragile!

Cozybuilder

I think most of us on this board appreciate those who make efforts, and if we can help, we do our best.

Keep pluggin'
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

PRR

> GND isn't considered bias, is it..??

Signal has to swing both ways.

In a *dual +/- supply* system, 0V ("Gnd", "common") is a happy starting bias.

In a Single Supply (just one 9V battery or wart), we normally have to make a half-voltage reference mid-way between the power rails, and cap-couple in and out.

> the first chunk of this is an ....i added a....

I suggest more careful plagiarization.

> thanks for not totally laughing me off

Nobody is born knowing this crap. We didn't laugh at ourselves (much) when we were starting out. No fun in laughing at others. We may slap you around a bit, but only to keep your mind on path to better knowledge (or bigger/better mistakes).

• SUPPORTER

antonis

I was trying to tease Stephen and now Paul yells on me about Single Supply Op Amp basics..  :icon_cry: :icon_cry:

duck_arse

Quote from: antonis on August 31, 2017, 07:58:47 AM
I was trying to tease Stephen and now Paul yells on me about Single Supply Op Amp basics..  :icon_cry: :icon_cry:

antonis, on the other hand, we can larff at.

Ben Lyman has a going thread in which he is working on/at/over an acapulco gold, cause "all the kids are doing it". might be some hints in there (and his has values showing).
don't make me draw another line.

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/