Vanishing Point assistance please...

Started by no one ever, April 16, 2006, 06:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

no one ever

Hi.

I'm having trouble contemplating the offboard wiring for Andrew's Vanishing Point... using this layout :

and this schematic (hope you don't mind me directly displaying the image).

If anyone can help me with the offboard wiring (mainly, Vcc, the optocouplers, and the wiring of the random switch), it would be much appreciated.... bernarduur?

Oh, and is this layout verified? I'm studying the schem and layout right now, and I think I see discrepancies...
(chk chk chk)

The Tone God

Quote from: no one ever on April 16, 2006, 06:09:28 PM
If anyone can help me with the off board wiring (mainly, Vcc, the optocouplers, and the wiring of the random switch), it would be much appreciated.... bernarduur?

The Vcc/V+ and power supply ground are on the left. The random optocoupler is on the right. It lays flat with the LED toward the bottom. The LDR connects to the top. The cathode/flat side of the LED faces the left toward the 1K resistor. The effect optocoupler you wire off board with the stage pots.

The random switch is a DPDT. The "Clock" line goes to the center of one pole. The "Enable" also called "Inhibit" line connects to the center of the other pole.

On one half (left or up depending on how you are holding the switch) the pole that the "Clock" line is connect to gets connected to the line called "RandClk". The other pole connected to the "Enable"/"Inhibit" line get the connection to "RandEnable".

On the last half (right or down depending on how you are holding the switch) the pole that the "Clock" line is connect to gets connected to the line called "SeqClk". The other pole connected to the "Enable"/"Inhibit" line get the connection to ground.

The pin numbers on the schematic and the PCB do match.

Quote from: no one ever on April 16, 2006, 06:09:28 PM
Oh, and is this layout verified? I'm studying the schem and layout right now, and I think I see discrepancies...

Yes I have built it. I don't know about anyone else. Most people seem to have made their own boards for it. Where do you think there is a discrepancy ?

Also did you check out the thread I made awhile back about some updates and also the recent thread about decoupling the power supply ? Those will be handy as well.

I really should get around to updating that thing. :icon_rolleyes:

Andrew

no one ever

Thanks Andrew!

:icon_redface: you're right, I dont' see any errors either... I haven't gotten much sleep lately, and its hard to study a schematic while listening to a Tom Morello solo   :icon_mrgreen:
(chk chk chk)

nelson

Quote from: The Tone God on April 16, 2006, 06:55:39 PM

I really should get around to updating that thing. :icon_rolleyes:

Andrew

Why not have a paragraph on the "step" function mod?

:)
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

no one ever

Quote from: nelson on April 16, 2006, 07:02:43 PM

:)

;D why not.

here's the annotated diagram, for future reference:

oh, and what optocoupler do you suggest?
(chk chk chk)

The Tone God

Quote from: no one ever on April 16, 2006, 07:02:30 PM
Thanks Andrew!

:icon_redface: you're right, I dont' see any errors either... I haven't gotten much sleep lately, and its hard to study a schematic while listening to a Tom Morello solo   :icon_mrgreen:

Your welcome. Its ok I have some Audioslave and RATM in rotation right now too so I can forgive. ;)

Quote from: nelson on April 16, 2006, 07:02:43 PM

Ouch. Feels like my arm is being twisted.

Quote from: no one ever on April 16, 2006, 11:48:35 PM
here's the annotated diagram, for future reference:

Do forget the changes I posted awhile back for things like the reset pull down resistor.

Quote from: no one ever on April 16, 2006, 11:48:35 PM
oh, and the green LED is for the optocoupler's LED side I assume?

Correct.

I've been getting alot of posts/PMs/Emails about The Vanishing Point lately. I'll try to have an update soon with all the changes to resolve some of this.

Andrew

no one ever

Quote from: The Tone God on April 16, 2006, 11:56:36 PM

Do forget the changes I posted awhile back for things like the reset pull down resistor.

done  ;D

looking forward to an update, sir.
(chk chk chk)

The Tone God

no one ever

Quote from: The Tone God on April 17, 2006, 12:33:14 AM

Opps. I meant Don't forget the changes. I made them in these threads:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=28396.0

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=43976.0

Nice diagram BTW. :)

Andrew

thanks! Paint is a wonderful program, isn't it.  :icon_biggrin:

Assuming from my forum searches, these 40106-based modifications apply to the 4093 as well?
(chk chk chk)

The Tone God

Quote from: no one ever on April 17, 2006, 12:43:56 AM
Assuming from my forum searches, these 40106-based modifications apply to the 4093 as well?

Yes I belive they should apply to both. The only differece with 40106 is that I used a spare gate to drive a clock LED so you can see the speed of the clock without having to watch the LED sequence through.

Andrew

no one ever

Thanks a lot, Andrew.  ;D

a few more questions:

• So the numbers inside the 4093 diagram are the step numbers? Then what are the numbers outside?
  • If the SPDT for the reset point was Center OFF, what would be the effect of the OFF position?
  • Are there any SP4T toggle switches? (4/6/8/10 step selector)
  • Does the choice of optocoupler in the sequencer circuit matter much?
(chk chk chk)

hank reynolds 3rd

Quote from: no one ever on April 17, 2006, 01:31:40 PM
Thanks a lot, Andrew.  ;D

a few more questions:

• So the numbers inside the 4093 diagram are the step numbers? Then what are the numbers outside?
the pinout of the IC

• If the SPDT for the reset point was Center OFF, what would be the effect of the OFF position?

I think it goes through all 10 stages in the off position...
  • Are there any SP4T toggle switches? (4/6/8/10 step selector)
there's 3p4t available, like these  ....   http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/rkmain.asp?PAGEID=80010&CTL_CAT_CODE=&STK_PROD_CODE=M30304&XPAGENO=4  ....should do the trick
  • Does the choice of optocoupler in the sequencer circuit matter much?
the LDR part of it (it's on /off resistance) will affect the circuit it is a part of...for example if you used this in a mcmeat/neutron autowah ,one of the vactecs recommended or an NSL32 would make sense...

no one ever

thanks hank!

i knooow about rotary switches, just wondering if anyone knew of slide switches or anything like that.
(chk chk chk)