Pics of my new pedalboard (Cornish style)

Started by psst, June 26, 2006, 04:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

psst

Well, here are some pics of my new pedalboard.
I was inspired by the "building of Gilmour pedalboard pics" in Cornish site, so I decided to build something like that myself.
Anyway, I did it my own way.
For example, I don't exactly agree about all the buffers stuff. I do think if the cable is too long and you're not using a buffer you can lose some signal, that's why I put ONE buffer int he input of the pedalboard. But then the rest of the pedals are true bypass. Actually, there's a toggle switch in the rear side to bypass the buffer too if wanted, so everything is true-bypass.

So, the signal goes:
- First into the buffer. Actually, the buffer makes 4 copies of the signal. One of them goes to the pedals chain, another to the tuner (Korg DT-10), another to an output (to feed my talk-box) and another one unused (for the moment).
- Dynacomp. Built from tonepad's schematic.
- Loop #1. Send and return are switcheable for reversibility. I use this loop for the wah-wah, and the reversibility for "Echoes".
- Fuzz Face: built from fuzz central schematic, with extra "smooth" control.
- Big Muff: built from generalguitargadgets schematic, modified with an extra pot for mids.
- Tube Driver #1
- Tube Driver #2: Both built from "shredgd" PCB. (http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=44779.0)
- Here there are two pedals, switchable between them with a toggle switch. A Phase90 (with a toggle switch to be "Script" mode without feedback resistor or "Block" mode) and a Uni-Vibe sounding pedal (Lovepedal MagicBoy).
- Other two pedals now, switchable with a toggle switch. A Electric Mistress (non deluxe) built from Markusw's PCB (http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=44582.0), and a BOSS CE-2, built from tonepad's schematic. This one doesn't have any pots, it has two internal fixed pots, cause I wanted it for a certain sound and wasn't going to change it.
- BOSS Eq GE-7, modified to make it less noisy.
- Loop #2. Used for the volume pedal.
- Delay PT80. Built from generalguitargadgets schematic. I added a switch for extra filtering to simulate older tapes, and a rotatory switch for "programmed" speeds. I NEED this, cause we play some songs with a fixed tempo, so I put a 12 positions rotatory switch that feeds 11 internal trimmers plus the outside speed knob. I "programmed" these 11 settings and the 12the positions is for the outside knob. Pretty useful.

I wanted to have light in the pedalboard, to see in a dark stage if I want to adjust something (my band plays with a lot of smoke an lasers, sometimes with my former pedalboard I coulnd't see what I was touching), so all the controls are now clearly visible. You can adjust the luminosity with a pot in the rear side.

In the rear side I have the power connector, the ON/OFF switch with its LED, two 9V plugs if I want to feed any external pedals, a pot for luminosity, two send and returns, input and output and another output for the talk-box.

I still have to put labels to show which pot is which (gain, volume, tone, etc), and in the rearside too.
I wan to put the donut-style things in the stomp-switches (ala Cornish). I like them very much.
Also, I'm gonna have to put a bigger power supply. I put a 1W (regulated with the "bipolar power supply" in generalguitargadgets) and another 1W for the LEDs (high luminosity, they suck a lot of current!). The thing is the 1W for the pedals is not enough, cause I have two tube drivers (which their respective tubes) that suck a lot of current too. I'll put a 2W one.

Hope you like it!

MartyMart

That's just FANTASTIC  !!!!  :icon_mrgreen:
Great work, I'm blown away , still have mine "on paper" but this has inspired me to just
"get on with it"  !

Awesome :D

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

Bernardduur

Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

RaceDriver205

Dude! That thing is a monster!
Do you get any mains hum from having the power supply in the enclosure?

Connoisseur of Distortion

that's amazing!! nice job!!

i've been tempted to do something similar, if not so bold. I'm considering a pedalboard with holes for circuits to attach and 'spade' terminals to plug in the ins, outs, and power rails. naturally, it's still theoretical.

PLEASE show us some gut shots...! that is an intimidating machine!

BDuguay

Very nice indeed. I've been an admirer of Pete Cornish's work ever since I discovered Andy Summers from the Police used his gear way back in the early 80's.
Of course now you'll need to post gut shots you know.
B.

Mark Hammer

Beautiful.  Thoughtful.  Functional.  Strategic.  Compact.  Stompable.  Envy-provoking.  Everything a pedalboard should be.

Are those blue LEDs what I think they are?  Illumination for each control panel so you can see the settings in the dark?  If so, outstanding!!

el84

Xavier

Yeah, I think the same. And you haven't seen the guys performing live yet. A true show.....

Amazing pedalboard, simply amazing............

Alex C

The others have said it, but WOW.  That's incredible.  I will "third" the request for gut shots, and convert it to a demand.  We must have gut shots!

-Alex

petemoore

KUDOS mahnn.
 Outta my league...I like my full 6'' depth board...some of the stages we play are rather 'shallow'.
 Looks Fantastic, like an excellent PRO PerFormance MACHINE !!!

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Peter Snowberg

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

psst

Glad you like it!
Of course, pics of the guts to come when I finnish it completely.
No hum at all, pretty silent (is perfectly shielded in the inside, you'll see in the photos).
And yeah, the "blue" lights are for illumination for each control panel. I say "blue" cause they are actually white, I don't know why the camera shows them in blue...

WildMountain

Incredible. DIY at it's best!
I join the rest of the guys when I say: "Gut shots, please."
My compliments, one of the best projects I have ever seen.

Roobin

You must be really proud of that! How many hours work? I daren't even guess... It shows that DIY can produce some amazing results - just try ordering one of them from the shops!

Again, well done!

BTW has anyone actually played one of Mr Cornish's creations?

The Tone God

Sweetalk

Beatiful psst!!... show the guts shots!!!!

KORGULL

:icon_eek: :icon_cool:
...I also like your idea of using the rotary switch and trimmers to make presets in the PT-80 delay.
You also mentioned that you made the Boss EQ quieter; I'm curious to know if there was some particular modification to the circuit performed, or did you just upgrade some components? Or both?

$uperpuma

Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.