BLACK FOREST High Gain Preamp - Based on the Bogner Uberschall

Started by J0K3RX, September 01, 2012, 02:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightendday

Quote from: meffcio on September 04, 2012, 03:45:13 AM
Quote from: J0K3RX on September 03, 2012, 11:35:36 PM
Here's a quick crappy demo, dry as a bone.. too much gain :-\

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11178619/BlackForest2.mp3
What was the recording chain? I always make that as simple, as I can - guitar>effect>line input in the PC>some guitar cab impulses on reaper, using LePou LeCab plugin.
When I put your sample through some impulses it sounded better, you know. ;p

No kidding, that sounds BEAST with the cab sims. I WILL be building this.

bancika

The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

sugonidamaso

Hmmm. Thinking to change my Dr. Boogie :icon_mrgreen:. What a heavy sound! Great work Jim! Thank you!
" The greatest inspiration is often born out of desperation--so be DESPERATE! "

danielzink

pakrat

Quote from: nightendday on September 04, 2012, 04:05:46 AM

What was the recording chain? I always make that as simple, as I can - guitar>effect>line input in the PC>some guitar cab impulses on reaper, using LePou LeCab plugin.

Any chance of someone posting a sample with the cab sims on it?  ;D

J0K3RX

Really cheap Jay Turser 7 string, I payed $150.00 for it brand new and it has some let's say less than good pickups in it... -> DIY TS808 tubescreamer with the level on about 3 or 4. tone in the middle/12noon and the drive all the way off -> Black Forest -> Line 6 GX USB recording device -> Reaper -> LeCab with some shitty impulse... that's it. If you have any impulses you would like for me to use then send them to me and I will use them  :icon_biggrin: Plus, I need some good impulses... All I have is some crappy ones I downloaded from guitarampmodeling.com about 2 years ago.
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

J0K3RX

Quote from: danielzink on September 04, 2012, 07:15:10 AM

Why the jumper between R18 and C22 ?

Dan

There was a 470k resistor there but I removed it and replace it with a jumper to increase the output volume... I guess I could go back into the layout and extend the trace, maybe later after I get final Rev of this board. In the schematic there is a final buffer stage after the tone stack that I left off. I may add that back in and see how it sounds? I left it off to save on parts like another J201 etc and to keep it smaller board wise. I really wish I could make a board with the boost circuit, full Uberschall layout and on-board pots and maybe a speaker emulator! But, that is a friggin task and I am dyslexic which makes on-board pots a nightmare! Everytime I try to make on-board pots I get one or two of them reversed and that right there PISSES ME OFF!!! :icon_twisted:

@ bancika - Thanks man! DIYLC is a great program! Is there any way to create a ground plain in it? I use it to draw out the boards and layout the part diagrams but then I have to recreate the board in Sprint so I can add GP... Sprint sucks for part diagrams but kills on the boards.

meffcio

Quote from: J0K3RX on September 04, 2012, 11:39:35 AM
If you have any impulses you would like for me to use then send them to me and I will use them  :icon_biggrin: Plus, I need some good impulses... All I have is some crappy ones I downloaded from guitarampmodeling.com about 2 years ago.
Dude, I'm shocked :D
http://signalsaudio.com/Products/Gods_Cab_1.4.zip

Quote from: bancika on September 04, 2012, 05:49:04 AM
that's one of the nicest layouts I've seen drawn in my diylc :proud: :)
Lol. And I was wondering what soft did he use. I am shocked again.

Quote from: J0K3RX on September 04, 2012, 11:57:55 AM
@ bancika - Thanks man! DIYLC is a great program! Is there any way to create a ground plain in it?
I can tell you how I've done ground planes in DIYLC. Tracks. Whole lotta tracks. :D

Quote from: pakrat on September 04, 2012, 12:45:27 PM
Some impulese: http://relivethefuture.com/music/patches/GuitarHacksImpulses.rar
Yeah, some of them are also ok. The point is to use more than one at a time. ;)

Quote from: pakrat on September 04, 2012, 09:39:26 AM
Well, I'm not a producer, so it's still bad, but you get the idea.
http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/60407449/file.html

artifus

Quote from: J0K3RX on September 04, 2012, 11:57:55 AM
@ bancika - Thanks man! DIYLC is a great program! Is there any way to create a ground plain in it? I use it to draw out the boards and layout the part diagrams but then I have to recreate the board in Sprint so I can add GP... Sprint sucks for part diagrams but kills on the boards.

diylc 3.13 and up offer ground planes.

pakrat

@meffcio  That sounds great man, impulses really bring out the punch.

nightendday

Quote from: pakrat on September 04, 2012, 09:39:26 AM
Quote from: nightendday on September 04, 2012, 04:05:46 AM

semicolonoscopy

Oh, I've gotta build this. I have the AMT clone of the Bogner Ecstasy, but this sounds even more aggressive.

J0K3RX

Nah, I use diylc to make the initial board and layout and then I flip over to Sprint and re-create the board...  :icon_confused: I will have to check into the diylc GP thing.. maybe I am missing it, maybe using older version?

@ meffcio and pakrat - Thanks for all those impulse links! Now I am gonna get lost sorting through all of them :icon_rolleyes:

Here she is... naked :icon_redface:

artifus

check your light bulb - bottom right - in diylc for updates. gp is under connectivity - the big black block.

bunch of ampsim stuff here: http://www.guitarampmodeling.com - mostly freeware.

*edit* nice board!

pakrat

Quote from: J0K3RX on September 04, 2012, 03:37:55 PM
Nah, I use diylc to make the initial board and layout and then I flip over to Sprint and re-create the board...  :icon_confused: I will have to check into the diylc GP thing.. maybe I am missing it, maybe using older version?

@ meffcio and pakrat - Thanks for all those impulse links! Now I am gonna get lost sorting through all of them :icon_rolleyes:

Here she is... naked :icon_redface:

Drool......

J0K3RX

I don't know if I posted this already but R16 should be 10k not 100k... The boost switch doesn't do a whole lot to justify a switch, may just want to remove R11 and replace with a jumper... Thinking changing R15 or adding a switch to say 560 or 680 range maybe lower may give some added gain/boost? Will try that tonight..

EDIT: Ok, I changed R15 to 680 and WHOA!!! This thing is smokin bad@ss now folks!!!

10k on R16 is a must... All the knobs function really well now!!!

scuzzphut

Just listened to the mp3 clips - I will have to build this - great work Jok3rx.

If anyone in the UK plans to get some PCBs done, I will happily buy one.  Otherwise it's vero for me...  :icon_cry:

scuzzphut

.............. this kills the thread.

Anyways - off the back of this topic, I just ordered some press-n-peel, copper board and ferric chloride.

Wish me luck !!!  :)