Would this diode switch work?

Started by pappasmurfsharem, December 29, 2012, 10:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappasmurfsharem

I am building the "Son of Clay Jones" overdrive with the layout from http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/12/son-of-clay-jones-overdrive.html

If I use an ON-OFF-ON DPDT switch, remove the LED's from the layout and attach one wire to each trace.

I saw on another page that since the LED's have a higher clipping threshold that when the other diodes are "engaged" that they are "basically" out of the circuit
The black diodes would be 1n4001 and the red are 4148. Center are 3mm LEDs

"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

ashcat_lt

With an on-off-on that'll work as long as you don't want a "no diodes" option.  I'm not sure, though, that the two pairs of si diodes are going to give any noticeable difference.  Maybe replace one pair with shottky/germanium or an assymetrical arrangement?

Mike Burgundy

The LEDs short out the switching poles right? So off would leave you with just the LEDs, got it Pappasmurf.
Ashcat is right, there is not very much difference between 4001 and 4148, if any at all. You could try different combinations though, say 1+1 4148, vs 1=2 4148 for asymmetrical clipping, or Ge.

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: ashcat_lt on December 29, 2012, 10:49:39 AM
With an on-off-on that'll work as long as you don't want a "no diodes" option.  I'm not sure, though, that the two pairs of si diodes are going to give any noticeable difference.  Maybe replace one pair with shottky/germanium or an assymetrical arrangement?

I heard a bit of a difference in the sound clips from diode-o-rama (http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pedals/99963-diode-o-rama-clipping-diodes-compared-tube-screamer-circuit.html)

I'll have to see if the difference changes at higher volumes perhaps.

maybe I might just opt for a 4148+2x1N4001, I'll have to audition the goods I suppose
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

ashcat_lt

Honestly, since you've got the LEDs there, you'll get pretty close to a 2+1 assym with just one si.  This will "override" one of the LEDs and leave the other for the opposite swings.