**The DIYStompboxes 10-Year Anniversary Contest Thread**

Started by midwayfair, May 22, 2013, 03:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samhay

Quote from: deadastronaut on May 30, 2013, 10:29:43 AM
ahh now i know what they are...i did wonder.....mad. are they just a swedish thing then?

Not that I'm aware of - the Swedes tend to lean more toward fermented and/or rotten fish and lingonberries.

If you fancy putting that 5 pounds back on, then this aught to do it: http://bacontoday.com/bacon-turtle-burgers/
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

artifus

midwayfair

Quote from: artifus on May 31, 2013, 03:35:45 PM
so long as they are teenage, mutant and ninja.

If you eat enough of them, at least one of these is possible.

Not saying which.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

artifus

i'm sure i ordered pizza...

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

midwayfair

Quote from: garcho on May 31, 2013, 06:00:55 PM
Is it too late for me to sign up?

See Rule 2. (Short answer: there is no deadline to sign up, only for posting the build.)
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

garcho

Doh! I wrote first, read second.  :icon_redface:

Just paid. Looking forward to seeing a new batch of inspiring builds!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Vallhagen

Quote from: samhay on May 30, 2013, 11:58:17 AM
- the Swedes tend to lean more toward fermented and/or rotten fish and lingonberries.

Perfectly true! We eat our kids too. Often! Always! To make the swedish version of that turtle burger, just replace the meatball layer between the sausage n bacon with some of that fish. And onion!

But frankly speaking - needless to say -  you are correct. There IS a bizarr swedish tradition, especially up in the northern part of the country, who eats fermented herring as a delicacy. Its fun, that this rotten fish tradition survived the years, but the tradition to drink the decoction of the berserk (the foot of the deadly amanita) died out...

samhay

Quote from: Vallhagen on June 02, 2013, 11:50:10 AM
Quote from: samhay on May 30, 2013, 11:58:17 AM
- the Swedes tend to lean more toward fermented and/or rotten fish and lingonberries.

Perfectly true! We eat our kids too. Often! Always! To make the swedish version of that turtle burger, just replace the meatball layer between the sausage n bacon with some of that fish. And onion!

But frankly speaking - needless to say -  you are correct. There IS a bizarr swedish tradition, especially up in the northern part of the country, who eats fermented herring as a delicacy. Its fun, that this rotten fish tradition survived the years, but the tradition to drink the decoction of the berserk (the foot of the deadly amanita) died out...

I guess a tradition that involves the ingestion of strong poisons is probably not going to last forever. I lived in Stockholm for a while and grew quite fond of some of the food. Never developed a taste for surströmming or children, but that might have taken a little longer.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

slacker

If you've ever over indulged on Swedish Schnapps you'll know the tradition of drinking strong poisons is alive and well.

garcho

They still make 'lutfisk', or 'lutefisk', as the old Norwegians called it, in Minnesota. Tasted it once as a child. It lives up to its reputation.

Two of my favorite rock bands are from Sweden:

Goat
Dungen

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

armdnrdy

That song by Goat sounds like a cross between Black Sabbath, Adam and the Ants, Nivana, and the B-52's.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

midwayfair

Thought I'd put an updated "prizes" section here, since we have one more prize to add right now.

---------

9) Prizes. We would like to provide prizes for 33% of the entries. The number of winners will therefore increase with the number of entries. (12 entries = 4 winners; 15 = 5 winners ...).

Thanks as always to the generous support of the community and retailers for providing prizes.

So far we have:
Parts!
  • $50 in store credit from Smallbear Electronics (www.smallbearelec.com)
  • $25 in store credit from Pedal Parts Plus (www.pedalpartsplus.com)

PCBs:

• Various PCBs courtesy of the judges, including some original designs and rarities!
  • 1776 Effects PCB prize pack
  • Possibly more to come!

Completed effects and enclosures:

• A handpainted enclosure with custom art (courtesy of MidwayFair)
  • HaveYouSeenHim has offered a JFET matcher as a prize (picture here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9878279/JFET%20tester%20haveyouseenhim.jpeg)
  • An FY-2 (Companion Fuzz), board built by Mark Hammer with a laser etched enclosure by Pickdropper
  • Complete Mutron V build by Mustachio -- just like the one that won the Turkey Day Competition!
  • Possibly more to come!

------

This is a LOT of prizes so far. I'd like to see more folks from the forum enter to make sure they all find a good home! There have been other prize offers made that are waiting in the wings if we need them, including more PCB projects.

garcho

QuoteI'd like to see more folks from the forum enter

I'd advertise in the main forum but that would just piss people off, because they feel threatened by humor.  :'(

;D

I looked up 10 year anniversary on a well-known search engine and discovered that in the US a 'traditional' 10 year anniversary gift is aluminum. How appropriate.  :)

10 point star. See the Star Trek symbol?  :P
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Ronan

Oh dear, here we go again!

I love the rules, especially no theme, SMD and digital allowed, basically open slather, allowing commercial builders if they DIY it themsleves, I think that's more than fair and adds to the spirit of the comp.

It is not clear if one can design a pcb and have it manufactured for this contest, can that be answered before someone else asks the question? :)

I have only one disagreement with the rules, that is, points for "mojo". Rare parts or not, mojo is a bone for me. I think its time to bury the mojo crap, a well-designed circuit will sound good without requiring special parts. If a particular circuit will only sound good (for example) with a rare Ge tranny that costs $25 then I think points should be deducted not added. In fact any pedal that uses hard to obtain parts should have some minor points deducted IMO.

OK rant over, if I only have one bone to pick, that's pretty good!!! I will submit an entry but have no idea what it will be, something very simple I hope.

As I said, I love the rules, very good, very fair, well done!

midwayfair

Quote from: Ronan on June 07, 2013, 05:39:38 AM
It is not clear if one can design a pcb and have it manufactured for this contest, can that be answered before someone else asks the question? :)

See rule 8. It's more than okay to use a PCB you designed for the contest -- you get bonus points for doing so.

Quote from: Ronan on June 07, 2013, 05:39:38 AMI have only one disagreement with the rules, that is, points for "mojo". Rare parts or not, mojo is a bone for me. I think its time to bury the mojo crap, a well-designed circuit will sound good without requiring special parts. If a particular circuit will only sound good (for example) with a rare Ge tranny that costs $25 then I think points should be deducted not added. In fact any pedal that uses hard to obtain parts should have some minor points deducted IMO.

"Mojo" scoring has nothing to do with the sound, which is scored separately. Some people build circuits like pieces of art, and there have been contest entries that went through an extraordinary amount of work to obtain the parts necessary to make a build one-of-a-kind, sometimes even designing the effect inside around old parts not commonly used in anything. That sort of commitment should be rewarded somehow, so we made it clear in the rules that we wouldn't just ignore the work involved if someone wanted to focus their energy in that direction. The rules and scoring were designed to be egalitarian.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: midwayfair on June 07, 2013, 08:36:38 AM
The rules and scoring were designed to be egalitarian.

If there was scoring for superior vocabulary... WINNER!  :icon_eek:

BTW.. Ill save time.

Egalitarian: Affirming, promoting, or characterized by belief in equal political, economic, social, and civil rights for all people.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"