**The DIYStompboxes 10-Year Anniversary Contest Thread**

Started by midwayfair, May 22, 2013, 03:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcme93

Quote from: midwayfair on June 07, 2013, 08:36:38 AM
"Mojo" scoring has nothing to do with the sound, which is scored separately. Some people build circuits like pieces of art, and there have been contest entries that went through an extraordinary amount of work to obtain the parts necessary to make a build one-of-a-kind, sometimes even designing the effect inside around old parts not commonly used in anything. That sort of commitment should be rewarded somehow, so we made it clear in the rules that we wouldn't just ignore the work involved if someone wanted to focus their energy in that direction. The rules and scoring were designed to be egalitarian.

I completely appreciate that a serious amount of effort deserves recognition, but I do agree that "Mojo" feels a bit like the equivalent of the quiz round on 1930s politics - someone might have a beautifully designed digital circuit where mojo/old/hard to find parts are really unnecessary and a bit gimmicky to put in. It would be a shame for that person to lose out on the opportunity for bonus points because of it.

Based on how fair all the rules are, I'm sure that "mojo" will be interpreted fairly across all fields. Perhaps a digital section with particular "flair" of design can get similar bonus points
Piss poor playing is why i make pedals.

garcho

Yeah, I really wouldn't worry about these judges, they know just how difficult it is to click 'buy' and receive an expensive transistor in the mail. I think if they award mojo points it will be well deserved.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

gcme93

Cool, I better get to work making my discrete CA3094s then ;)

garcho

Quotediscrete CA3094

Punch card and valve op amp TS in my corner. Or, perhaps, that LPB-1 with the Moog 36 pole LP filter...
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

midwayfair

Guys, I'm no longer entirely certain what this line of discussion is about.

We included a category, je ne sais quoi, with a MAXIMUM of ten points, for things that make you say "wow that's cool," and mojo is just ONE way for someone to earn points in that category*, because sometimes it's cool. No one's talking about getting an automatic 10 points just for sticking a 6000V poly cap from the 60s in a fuzz face!

*And yes, a tube screamer built with a discrete tube-based op amp probably WOULD earn some mojo points.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

gcme93

Quote from: midwayfair on June 07, 2013, 12:23:48 PM
Guys, I'm no longer entirely certain what this line of discussion is about.

We included a category, je ne sais quoi, with a MAXIMUM of ten points, for things that make you say "wow that's cool," and mojo is just ONE way for someone to earn points in that category*, because sometimes it's cool. No one's talking about getting an automatic 10 points just for sticking a 6000V poly cap from the 60s in a fuzz face!

*And yes, a tube screamer built with a discrete tube-based op amp probably WOULD earn some mojo points.

Thanks Jon, that's exactly the answer I was hoping for. I guess now I read it back, that was quite clear!

Time for my Bluetooth wirelessly controlled polyphonic Pog 2 clone with only OC44 transistors (for that extra treble kick) and these caps: http://studiozey.com/woodencapacitor/index.html

midwayfair

Quote from: gcme93 on June 07, 2013, 01:22:36 PMhttp://studiozey.com/woodencapacitor/index.html

hehe.
I want one.

Edit: Waitaminit, that guy's serious? Can't tell if serious.

Edit edit: I'm going to have to assume he's being silly. It's the only way my brain will continue to function.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Jdansti

Aren't those the type of capacitors that the Professor used to build the radio on Gilligan's Island?   ;)
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Ronan

Jon, I think he is being serious...

Thanks for the answers to my questions, all good.

earthtonesaudio

Ok I read the wood capacitor,mod page, now I have this insane urge to try and one-up it.

midwayfair

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on June 07, 2013, 08:56:56 PM
Ok I read the wood capacitor,mod page, now I have this insane urge to try and one-up it.

One of my friends wants to troll TGP by saying that he replaced all the caps in his amp with these and started a fire. But it sounded great while it was melting.

posmaster

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on June 07, 2013, 08:56:56 PM

How about a mineral oil submerged pedal - like they did with this computer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sP45uBj4-k

Jdansti

Those wooden caps are great until a woodpecker attacks your amp!
  • SUPPORTER

tca

Question:

Are the entries for the contest restricted to stompboxes, I mean literal a box that you step on it? Can a preamp or an amplifier be submitted to the contest?

Thanks.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

Jdansti

Quote from: tca on June 08, 2013, 10:16:03 AM
Question:

Are the entries for the contest restricted to stompboxes, I mean literal a box that you step on it? Can a preamp or an amplifier be submitted to the contest?

Thanks.

We're working on the answer. :)
  • SUPPORTER

Ronan

Quote from: Jdansti on June 08, 2013, 10:34:46 PM
Quote from: tca on June 08, 2013, 10:16:03 AM
Question:

Thanks.

We're working on the answer. :)

The question has to be asked, why would one want to enter a preamp or an amplifier in a stompbox effect pedal contest?

gcme93

Quote from: Ronan on June 09, 2013, 02:49:35 AM

The question has to be asked, why would one want to enter a preamp or an amplifier in a stompbox effect pedal contest?

I can kindof understand the thinking - I'm desperate to build a drum machine plan that I've spent ages working out. I think it'll be a very big achievement for myself and I have had the thought of trying to add a guitar signal and stomp button to enter it into the competition somehow!   :icon_lol:

Obviously my example is quite a way out of the "appropriate" bracket, but if someone has big ideas for a cool project that's directly in the signal path and modifies the signal I would have thought it would be acceptable. Perhaps the condition would be along the lines of "if I could theoretically have it in a (perhaps large) pedal inclosure, turn it on and off with a footswitch, and it's directly affecting my guitar signal then it's valid".

Just a thought, as it seems nice to have the competition represent every aspect of the forum and there are definitely plenty of amps and preamps kicking around! (drum machines less so...)

Ronan

Yes, well I suppose if you can plug the box in-between a guitar and a guitar amp, and it alters the sound when stomped on, then it should be good to go :) I did build a siren effect once but it never got put into a pedal unfortunately. The ROG Tonemender is an example of a stompbox/preamp, mostly used for bass/mid/treb control, but can also drive a power amp - dual purpose.

midwayfair

We're going to go with "not meant to be the final sound reproduction device" for whether or not something's a stompbox. So no, amps aren't a stompbox. Also I think most rack gear is outside this definition unless it's got remote switching.

A contestant wouldn't be penalized for having a preamp or amp component as part of a stompbox effect. 

For example, if someone entered a tubescreamer/noisy cricket combo in one box, we wouldn't add or subtract points for the noisy cricket. If they entered a noisy cricket in an enclosure without any effects, we would have to disqualify it.

I think everyone here knows what a 'stompbox' looks like, and if you think what you're making might require judge approval, you can ask in private.

Besides, if you make an amp as your entry, how the heck would you give an example of the uneffected setting through the device? Plug your guitar right into the speaker? :p

tca

Quote from: midwayfair on June 09, 2013, 08:28:51 AM
We're going to go with "not meant to be the final sound reproduction device" for whether or not something's a stompbox. So no, amps aren't a stompbox. Also I think most rack gear is outside this definition unless it's got remote switching.

A contestant wouldn't be penalized for having a preamp or amp component as part of a stompbox effect. 

For example, if someone entered a tubescreamer/noisy cricket combo in one box, we wouldn't add or subtract points for the noisy cricket. If they entered a noisy cricket in an enclosure without any effects, we would have to disqualify it.

I think everyone here knows what a 'stompbox' looks like, and if you think what you're making might require judge approval, you can ask in private.

Besides, if you make an amp as your entry, how the heck would you give an example of the uneffected setting through the device? Plug your guitar right into the speaker? :p
Fair enough. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson