Need help with series / parallel switch wiring.

Started by onthetundra, June 05, 2013, 05:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onthetundra

Hey I am building a 4 channel parallel loop box with a jfet buffer/blender on each loop so I can blend in the clean signal with the wet.  I'd really like to put in 2 series/parallel switches so loops 1+2 and 3+4 could go from parallel to series.  I am a little stumped on how to wire this up.  I have two 3pdt toggles in the box to do this job with led's for each position.  If anyone can post a quick diagram that would be amazing.  Thanks.

onthetundra

The order switcher is confusing me.  Im just looking to make loops 1+2 have a switch to go between parallel or series and the same for loops 3+4.  there seems to be very little info on how to do this.

slacker

Here's something I drew up for someone asking a similar question, the green and red are in reference to this http://www.runoffgroove.com/splitter-blend.html. In your case Green/loop A would be your loop 1 and Red/loop B would be loop 2. In series the signal goes through loop 1 then through loop 2 coming out of loop 2.

gcme93

Quote from: slacker on June 06, 2013, 05:17:49 PM
Here's something I drew up for someone asking a similar question, the green and red are in reference to this http://www.runoffgroove.com/splitter-blend.html. In your case Green/loop A would be your loop 1 and Red/loop B would be loop 2. In series the signal goes through loop 1 then through loop 2 coming out of loop 2.

This! It took me a moment to understand it, but basically you have both the red and green sends connected together (forming one "signal in"), and both the red and green returns connected together (forming one "signal out"). Then the circuit does exactly what you're after. If you make the toggle a 3PDT, have middle of the extra connection on ground, and have an LED+appropriate resistor coming off each side of the extra connection and going to ground, you'll have indicating LEDs too. I'll try a bit of rubbish ASCII art:

3PDT (left hand side connected as above)

LED    R1
[]   []   []------O-----==------ gnd

[]   []   [] ---9volts
                    LED    R2
[]   []   []------O-----==------ gnd
Piss poor playing is why i make pedals.

slacker

Yeah you can connect the sends together. You can't really just connect the returns together though because in parallel mode you'd be connecting the outputs of the pedals in the loops to each other which probably won't give great results. You really need a mixer to recombine the outputs, hopefully onthetundra already has this sorted.