News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

A/B/Y Looper

Started by BostonGuitah, April 14, 2014, 10:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BostonGuitah

anybody know how to turn this BYOC A/B looper w/master bypass in to a A/B/Y w/master bypass.

http://byocelectronics.com/tblinstructions.pdf

I'd like to add a switch in the middle for the Y option.  I'm a rookie at this so please make it easy for me if possible.

digi2t

Something I build (what seems to be) eons ago.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=88008.0

You can simply get rid of the "R" (right) channel, and use the rest of the switch wiring to get your Y. Mind you... you won't have a bypass function anymore.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

BostonGuitah

I was hoping to keep the master bypass switch.

I want to be able to switch between ODs, combine them, and cut them off straight to clean tone.

mth5044

An A/B/Y is very different from the effects loop switcher you posted, in the world of switching units anyway. An A/B/Y has one input and two outputs: signal comes in and out but never comes back. The looper pedal has one input, one output and two loops: signal comes in and out and there and back again. Looking at A/B/Y pedals isn't going to help you much here, I don't think.

The many question we need to know is if you want loops A and B in parallel or series when they are both engaged?

BostonGuitah

I know I might not be using the precise terminology but I just don't know what else to call it.

I want the A/B switch to switch between my OD/dist.

I want the "Y" switch to combine both A/B but as an on/off switch for the combo effect.

I also want a Master Bypass to cut any engaged signal so I can go from a combo straight to clean.

The point of all this is to switch between 2 ODs with one switch, to turn on/off 2 ODs with one switch,
and go from 1or 2 ODs to clean with one switch.  "One switch does it all" is the big idea. 

Less switching=Less thinking=More rocking!!!!

mth5044

Quote from: BostonGuitah on April 18, 2014, 03:19:39 PM
"One switch does it all" is the big idea. 

Wait.. now you want it all to be done with one switch? Or do you still want three switches?

Also you still need to answer this question:

QuoteThe main question we need to know is if you want loops A and B in parallel or series when they are both engaged?

It's hard to tell from your description. One was is much easier than the other.

I'd imagine you want them in series, but you haven't said. Such as loop 1 > loop 2, rather then them in parallel.

BostonGuitah

3 switches

A/B- switches between A/B

A+B - an on/off switch for A/B combo

Bypass - a switch that will bypass the A/B or A+B signal

Sorry I didn't mean one switch on the unit. I just meant that whether you want OD/dist, a combo, or bypass to clean you only need to press one button to make it happen.  You won't be trying to turn one off and one on in a split sec to land on beat properly.  This would  be extremely helpful since I play lead and sing lead vocals.

mth5044

Ok, that makes sense, but again...

Quote from: mth5044 on April 18, 2014, 04:02:43 PM

Also you still need to answer this question:

QuoteThe main question I need to know is if you want loops A and B in parallel or series when they are both engaged?

It's hard to tell from your description. One was is much easier than the other.

I'd imagine you want them in series, but you haven't said. Such as loop 1 > loop 2, rather then them in parallel.

BostonGuitah

Not sure what the difference is.  I'm a rookie so you might have to speak to me in caveman.

mth5044

Haha I see. Say OD is in loop 1 and Dist is in loop 2. When you have your Y engaged, both on at the same time, do you want the OD fed into the Dist (series, A -> B), or do you want your signal to split, go into both pedals, come back in and be summed together (parallel)? Series is the most common and it would be just like turning both of them on at the same time if they were in the normal chain.

I just wasted about 6 post-it notes doing a diagram, but I'm totally blanking on it now. I'm pretty sure I've seen it done, but without a 5PDT switch or relays (which would be a bit easier), I'm coming up short. I'll keep thinking about it.

BostonGuitah

Ok now I understand!!! Series for sure.  I want it to sound the same my combo sounds now.

BostonGuitah

http://www.loop-master.com/mini-cleandirty-effects-switcher-wcombinable-loops-p-278.html

Here's another link.  This one is exactly what I'm looking for, but I just need to know how to wire it.  I don't feel like paying 100$ And waiting a month for something I can make for 15$ in 2hrs.

BostonGuitah

Bueller??? Bueller???

vigilante397

I've got my legal pad out and I'm working on a layout for you, but it still won't be super fun to wire :P I'll draw it up now and put it into the layout creator when I get home so it's more fun to look at.

I actually have something similar to this on my board, except I still only wanted a single stomp switch to go between the two loops and I have a flip switch that bypasses the loop pedal and puts the loops together in series.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

vigilante397

It's not pretty by any means (I'm kind of utilitarian when I make layouts :P ) and I just realized I didn't add an LED for the "Y" switch. Still, this should give all the functionality you're looking for in your pedal.

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

PRR

You should probably use three resistors for three LEDs. 3-on-1, the suckiest LED hogs the current and the others get too dim to see. Cost is trivial.
  • SUPPORTER

vigilante397

Quote from: PRR on April 23, 2014, 12:01:11 AM
You should probably use three resistors for three LEDs. 3-on-1, the suckiest LED hogs the current and the others get too dim to see. Cost is trivial.

I did think about that as I was putting it together, and I completely agree. That was more a bit of layout laziness on my part :P I had the three wires connected in the layout and decided to add the resistor as an afterthought. But while I have you here Paul, is there anything else you would change on the layout? Does it look alright?

(I've only been a member of this forum about 6 months, but one thing I know is that Paul R. knows his stuff.)
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

BostonGuitah

Awesome!!! Thanks for all the help I'll have to wire one up now and let you all know how it turns out.  I'm probably gonna go with a bi color for the A/B and normal on/offs for the other two.  This is gonna be a sweet box that solves a lot if issues. Thanks again. Expect some pics in a couple weeks