Drill hole sizes for pots and switches??

Started by illuminatiNPS, September 13, 2015, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illuminatiNPS

Does anyone have a list of drill bits that are needed for the following pots, switches and DC jack??

1/4 jack:
DC jack(threads on outside of pedal)
Spdt:
Dpdt:
3pdt:
Potentiometers:

alr300

I don't have a list, but I can tell you that a 1/8" to 1/2" step drill (in 13 steps) covers everything I drill on enclosures. Yeah, I use a small bit for pilot holes. So, two bits and I'm good!
"Never attribute to malice that which may be adequately explained by stupidity."  Hanlon's Razor

MrStab

i use parts with both metric and imperial measurements, but here's the lo-down from what i use:

for both 6mm and 6.35 (1/4") pots, i recommend 7mm holes. that way, especially if using board-mounted pots, it'll be easier to get them all lined-up. the washer will cover the holes seamlessly, and they won't be too loose. SOME board-mounted pots i use have threads with a diameter of 7mm though, in which case i use 8mm.

for footswitches, using 12mm should result in a perfect fit for Carling and Alphas. that said, if you want some leeway as above, 1/2" (12.7mm) can be better.

12mm-1/2" for the usual barrel DC jacks too, though i HAVE come across smaller ones (which i think are about 11mm?), so you might wanna check which type you have.

as for the input/output jacks, i use the black plastic ones (the ones you usually see mounted to boards), which require an 11mm hole for a perfect fit. unfortunately i couldn't tell you what the regular jack hole size is off the top of my head, but i think it's about 10mm. you'll really need to check that though.

i don't know with toggle switches either, unfortunately, as none of my pedal types currently use them.

for all the above, you might wanna double-check with other posters and drill the smallest suggested size for each hole, then test to see if each part fits. you can always find this stuff on the datasheets - look for a symbol that's a circle with a line through it if you're having trouble spotting the diameter.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

FuzzFanatic71

I have a metric step drill set of 3. In sizes  4-12mm,  4-20mm,  4-32mm  but usually just use the 4-12 mm for pedals. The others are good for drilling out for valve socket though.

Try these sizes.

12mm for 3dt stomp switch and DC jack.
10mm for signal in and out jack.
8mm for pots, gives a tiny bit of clearance if using board mount pots.
8mm for 5mm metal led bezels.
6mm for toggle switches then bore out slightly with a rat tail file because I don't have a 7mm drill bit.
Sorry I don't know imperial drill bit sizes.
Why won't this @$&$ing thing work?

Cozybuilder

If you get a drill gauge, you can measure the shaft of whatever component you have and assure that you'll choose the correct size drill.

Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

deadastronaut

a reamer...is essential too, for odd bits/tight fittings...
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

FUZZZZzzzz

drill gauge sounds a bit dirty, doesn't it? ;) but yeah.. some of the websites even post the diameter needed to drill along with their products as well.
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

GibsonGM

Quote from: Cozybuilder on September 13, 2015, 10:03:06 PM
If you get a drill gauge, you can measure the shaft of whatever component you have and assure that you'll choose the correct size drill.

Beat me to it!  Invaluable for DIY and all your other shop needs!!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

amptramp

I have a set of these as well as the more usual drill sets:

R.G.

There is a better answer. This currently costs $14 at harbor freight, and solves the general question of "how big is it?" up to 4" in both inches and mm.
Once you ever use one of these, you'll never go back.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

duck_arse

the three step method for one-off chassis bashers (and to summarise the previous excellent responses):

You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

davent

Can't generalize, no one size fit's all for a particular part,  i measure, with a dial caliper like RG pictured, each part i'm installing and drill accordingly.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

deadastronaut

Yep digi calipers are a must too.. 8)

this has turned into the tools thread...
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

FuzzFanatic71

Quote from: amptramp on September 14, 2015, 08:56:29 AM

Yeah that's what I have. Only in metric sizes. Best pedal building investment next to a soldering iron. Can't recommend them enough.
Why won't this @$&$ing thing work?

karbomusic

A good set of step bits + caliper and all is well. I don't use the caliper for holes usually; with the step bit, I just drill until the part fits. ;) A step bit is pretty much indispensable IMHO. Oh, yea and as mentioned previously, a reamer for the times you really want a perfect fit and the closest bit is a tiny bit too small.

mth5044

Quote from: duck_arse on September 14, 2015, 11:13:14 AM
the three step method for one-off chassis bashers (and to summarise the previous excellent responses):

I always wondered what those protrusions on the opposite side of the TRex head were. Seems so obvious now.

Hemmel

Quote from: amptramp on September 14, 2015, 08:56:29 AM

^these along with a drill press = the best purchase I've ever done in my life.
Bââââ.

jimilee

I have this saved in Evernote And I always use it:

Led bezel 5/16
Led only 3/16
3mm bezel 1/4"
Potentiometer 5/16
1/4" jack hole 3/8"
Dc jack hole 1/2"
Smaller 5/16"
Foot switch hole 1/2"
Toggle switch 1/4"

armdnrdy

Quote from: jimilee on September 14, 2015, 01:09:54 PM
I have this saved in Evernote And I always use it:

Led bezel 5/16
Led only 3/16
3mm bezel 1/4"
Potentiometer 5/16
1/4" jack hole 3/8"
Dc jack hole 1/2"
Smaller 5/16"
Foot switch hole 1/2"
Toggle switch 1/4"

That's a nice list but...which model toggle switch, (micro mini, mini, or full size?) which 1/4" jack?, (standard open jack or board mounted jack) 16mm pot or 24mm? DC jack hole size can vary as well.

Enclosures by different manufacturers vary in size as well.

Best thing to do is measure with an digital caliper as stated above.
Trust nothing but your own eyes....and then double check that as well!  :icon_wink:

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

jimilee

Yep, that's the best thing, but I always use this list, hasn't mattered in 2 1/2 years building for myself and a few for money.  It's all good.