Drill hole sizes for pots and switches??

Started by illuminatiNPS, September 13, 2015, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armdnrdy

I just wanted to make it clear to the OP that it depends on the "hardware" you are using.

Not all switches, jacks, and the like are created equal.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

PRR

> a better answer

A cheaper answer: in the car-parts store, look in the dollar bin. (It's all $3 and $5 now.) I picked up a real cheezy "vernier" caliper. Looks like the one in Duck's post except the vernier is un-readable (badly stamped), just straight scale. But this IS good enough to tell 25/32 from 13/16, on bolts, hydraulic fittings, and drills. Where you either know it must be a Standard size (bolts), or you don't care if it runs 1/32" large (metric pots versus Imperial drills).

I think it may have metric markings too. But my 1967 USA Ford tractor has no metrics so I don't care.

The drill-gauge is also handy, and Home Depot often has plastic ones for a buck (get a couple). These may also have screw-length notches, inch/mm marks, and angles.
  • SUPPORTER

blackieNYC

Good point on the variety of switches.  If you happen to be a customer -Jimilee's measurements suit the basic stuff from smallbear - the red toggles, his pots. The blue stompswitch can actually go in a 15/16ths hole

Must get drill guide. 
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

davent

Jacks are the same way in variety of sizes, i use Neutrik/Switchcraft open frame, same size, Lundberg open frame, different size, couple styles of Cliff type plastic, different from the others.
Pots, PEC's, Alphas in various sizes, CTE's etc.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

MrStab

imo the ultimate tool is the datasheet, BUT it's important to make sure the delivered item meets spec using a calliper. not literally every unit, you can probably tell by eye if something's off by a problematic margin once you've verified the batch. sometimes it's hard to come across the datasheet, though, and not everyone's bothered to figure out the constituents of pot codes etc., which can be confusing as hell to begin with
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

armdnrdy

Quote from: MrStab on September 14, 2015, 10:58:08 PM
imo the ultimate tool is the datasheet

Some suppliers don't post data sheets...hmm....hmm...Steve...

It makes it very difficult to work out a board layout until you have the actual parts in front of you and take measurements with a caliper.

:icon_idea: Caliper seems to be the keyword of this thread.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

MrStab

ime the internet often follows that "original thought theory" thing, even when least expected, if you have a big enough spade... but i like Steve's prices & service so i still pick Smallbear for stuff!
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

stevie1556

I use the step drill bits as well, best thing I've invested in apart from my soldering station. A 3mm drill bit for a pilot hole, then run the step drill bit  to the required size. I will say that a drill press is absolutely invaluable though. I've got this one, it's cheap but we'll built and never caused me any issues (apart from the guard broke so I took it off) www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?option=shop&page=shop.product_details&product_id=9040&l=uk&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&gclid=COmFtvLa-McCFUsCwwodJjgCBg

I always use the same parts in all my pedals, so then I know the holes will always be the right size when I drill a batch of boxes.

The sizes I use are:
DC jack - 8mm
Pots - 7mm
Switches - 6mm or 6.5mm depending on switch
Audio jacks - 10mm
Foot switch - 12mm

For drilling the pilot holes, I use templates cut out of 3mm acrylic. They have 6 holes for pots so I can use one template for multiple pedals using different pot configurations. The lines on the enclosure was where I was lining up the holes on the template right before glueing it together.

blackieNYC

I recommend doing that thing with the step drill bit where you wrap a piece of tape over the next largest cutter just above the one you want.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers