Barber Trifecta switching

Started by slashandburn, December 19, 2017, 05:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slashandburn

After being on a bit of a Muff kick lately and reading about the Jumbo Tonebender, I just stumbled on stories of an late 70s unit called the Barber Trifecta. It's a Big Muff, a Coloursound Jumbo Tonebender and Supa Tonebender all in one box, with the three Muff varieties available on one three way toggle.

Once my initial amazement wore off and I had a closer look at all three circuits I realised this seemingly amazing feat is probably trivial but I can't for the life of me figure out how to pull this off on one switch.

The differencesbare small. If you start off with a regular triangle Big Muff and chop off first lot of clipping diodes, you have a Supa Tonebender without any other component changes.  If you then take this Supa Tonebender and chop off the output buffer you're left with Jumbo. Unless I've missed something its really that straightforward.

Anyway, despite not planning to build one it's really bugging me that I can't work out how they went about wiring the switch. I could manage with two separate toggles (which would also give a fourth mode "Jumbo+clipping diodes"  but I feel there's a lesson to be learned somewhere in here for me, I guess I'm not fully understanding three position toggles. I'm just hoping someone can help me get my head round this.

Schematics:

EBK

My subconscious engineering brain said, "DPDT ON-ON-ON", but I'll have to use my conscious brain to double check that.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

slashandburn

Thanks Eric!  That's what I'm thinking. Not sure how to go about it. Column one, middle lug, c12, top lug r13, bottom lug blank, column two middle lug output from board, top lug to buffer, bottom lug to output jack?

Would that work? The third position confuses me!

287m

what bother me, the pedal gutshot by CJ, have asymmetrical clipping

so i guess, the dpdt on-on-on is for switching combination of first clipping (D3 + D4) and c9

oot
for me, the best jucombo pizza muff tonebender is mictester 21st century muff

slashandburn

I haven't seen a gutshot. Or a schematic. In fact I'm just realising these pedals are newer than I had thought. He's very recently released an updated version, the Exacta. I don't want to clone this guys pedals and I'm making a lot of assumptions about his designs and probably doing him a disservice so I'll just leave this here.

It's a really cool idea either way.  The gambling oriented naming scheme is right up my street, too. I'll just leave it at that.

I should go read something about switches!

duck_arse

I think the out buffer is the problem. you probably want double pole to switch out the output and the input. but that doesn't work for a centre off, so you'd need either 3 pole on-on-on, or rotary.
don't make me draw another line.

EBK

Available pics of this thing show what looks like a push-pull pot in addition to a DPDT toggle.  For example:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

craigmillard

I have one of these pedals, its the Barber Trifector: http://www.barberelectronics.com/trifecta.html

Great pedal, very well built and sounds great as a muff!!

The toggle actually does very little to the sound especially at band volumes, i have noticed it thickens or smooths the sounds on certain amps but on my main one it has little difference!

The push pull alters the tone stack and puts more mids in, it is a nice addition though :icon_lol:

Always thought about modifying it to have more pronounced change on the toggle but always end up leaving it just as, because its great stock!

Elijah-Baley

What does the sludge control do? Something about the voltage?
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

Philo

Dave posts on the gear page; he said the sludge control filters bass.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: EBK on December 19, 2017, 05:17:14 PM
My subconscious engineering brain said, "DPDT ON-ON-ON"

That would be my first thought too.

Elijah-Baley

Quote from: Philo on July 16, 2022, 04:24:40 PM
Dave posts on the gear page; he said the sludge control filters bass.

Yes, it surely do something to the bass. For me it's not still clear how do it, because, to my ear, it doesn't sound like a frequency filter. I wrong?
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

Philo

He said it is a pre-fuzz bass cut that allows the fuzz to fit into band settings more readily.