Gristleizer build problems

Started by dze, May 09, 2018, 09:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dze

Hi guys,

I've recently gotten myself to a Gristleizer pcb board from a friend and got time to finish building up the board.
I'm using this as my reference for powering up the board with +/- 9v.

and I'm using this as my build for wiring,

Sorry this is a noob question and I've got some questions.

On the bipolar power diagram,

As in the diagram, I use a stereo jack and I connect my input- tip to the board and ring to 6.8k and sleeve to GND where the 2 caps meet. For my output, I connect the tip to board ground to GND on the bipolar power.
Basically I connect both the ground on the input and output together. When I unplug it from gnd at least I get a sound coming out, but really really soft. When I plug it in, everything falls silent.

I'm using a TC1044 on the bipolar power supply.

Where should I test the if there's power coming into the board? And how should I test this?
thanks for your patience!

BluffChill

Your diagram doesn't seem to show whereabouts the input goes but I've built dozens of Gristleizers so i think I know what's going on. However, why is the ring of your input jack going to a 6.8k?
Kits & Pedals! EctoVerb - HyperLight - Shagpile - http://bluffchilldevices.bigcartel.com/

antonis

Quote from: BluffChill on May 10, 2018, 12:10:31 PM
However, why is the ring of your input jack going to a 6.8k?
Probably for switching p-n-n ON when input pluged..
(base resistor to GND via sleeve...)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

dze

I've been searching around for more infos regarding building up the gristleizer and these are the best  I could find.
Is this also the diagram you use?

Hmm I'll try to explain the best I can.
I've breadboard the bipolar power yesterday, and it doesn't even turn on, no sounds or pops when I flip the switch nor turn the knobs. The board came originally with an attach 7809 regulators and 3 cables for +9v, -9v and 0v. The previous owner used it on in his modular system. I tried to power it up with the regulators attached with this diagram below, and at least I get a pop sound when I flip the switch or turn the volume. But no input audio. So I thought that it might be the problem with the bipolar circuit that I used. Hence i remove the 7809 regulators and use the pre-mentioned diagram instead as it did state that it works well with the gristleizer.

Does the input on the gaussmarkov diagram mean audio input? So it' right using a stereo jack on the input?
Also I noticed at TR2, 2N3819, the source and gate are connected together. This is right?

Also on the board itself, there's an input and output connection. So I connected those to 2 jacks and the ground to the bipolar circuit gnd? Is this right?

duck_arse

seeing as those traces on the fet pins are labelled "GND" and "-9V" DO NOT connect them together. and seeing as the circuit dia I can see shows the fet source to ground, it appears that one leg of the fet needs to be bent to fit the layout. odd.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

dze

hi

dave - I don't get what you mean? Should i connect 2 fet pins together? As it shows in the diagram? hmm
which one is the right one? It's confusing.

Bluffchill - any ideas of what you think might have gone wrong?

duck_arse

[my name's not actually dave, or shirley, but] no, don't connect two fet pins together. I think you need to bend one outer leg to reach the pad in the "GND" line.

when in doubt, follow the circuit diagram.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

dze

opps sorry duck_arse... it was a typo. ok I'll check the circuit again. Thanks

Ben_buttons

Hi there!

Any chance anyone could explain why I'm getting a constant high pitched tone coming through my gristleizer circuit? I've installed all the listed parts from musicpcb.com where I bought the pcb from. I haven't seen anyone else complain about this problem so I'm assuming I've done something very stupid. I'm going to go over the circuit again but any suggestions on what would cause a really high pitched noise. It's not an input issue as it occurs when there's nothing connected to input.

Thanks

BluffChill

Quote from: Ben_buttons on March 03, 2019, 03:48:28 PM
Hi there!

Any chance anyone could explain why I'm getting a constant high pitched tone coming through my gristleizer circuit? I've installed all the listed parts from musicpcb.com where I bought the pcb from. I haven't seen anyone else complain about this problem so I'm assuming I've done something very stupid. I'm going to go over the circuit again but any suggestions on what would cause a really high pitched noise. It's not an input issue as it occurs when there's nothing connected to input.

Thanks

I can practically guarantee this is down to your voltage inverter chip. The 7660s chips I have found to be very fussy - they all have different sub-type numbers, and I've found '15084P' to be the only one that doesn't whistle like crazy, if that helps.
Kits & Pedals! EctoVerb - HyperLight - Shagpile - http://bluffchilldevices.bigcartel.com/