DIY Lehle-based splitter/re-amp/buffer

Started by bancika, May 15, 2018, 04:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bancika

Hi everyone,

Wanted to share my latest project that came out of necessity. I wanted to be able to record dry signal together with signal that goes through my pedals and tube amps and then be able to re-amp recorded signal using different amps or settings. Also wanted to have a buffer (klon-style) but still be able to run the thing passive. For isolation transformer I got the Lehle LTHZ, but threw in the Xicon TM018 I already had in the bin, mostly to be able to experiment and compare the two.

Below is the layout of the circuit I came up with by combining various bits and pieces from different sources. I didn't bother drawing the schematic because I couldn't make it any easier to understand than the layout. The basic flow is: input jack -> switchable buffer -> non-isolated output jack -> A/B switch for transformer selection -> re-amp switch -> phase and ground lift -> output jack.

Been playing with it yesterday and so far it works great. In passive mode, the difference between the two transformers in night and day. Xicon sounds like switching from a humbucker pickup to split single coil or when two pickups are combined out of phase. The sound loses most of the bottom end and sounds thinner. It's ok to be used as an effect, but not for anything serious.  With the buffer engaged, the Xicon sounds much better and closer to Lehle. There's still a difference but not as much.

I'll try to record few clips of each transformer with and without the buffer and I'll run frequency analysis to demonstrate the difference. Stay tuned (if you are interested in the topic :))

Also started an article on my website with more info http://diy-fever.com/misc/lehle-splitter-re-amp

Cheers!

The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

PRR

> the Xicon TM018 .... In passive mode, ... Xicon sounds like switching from a humbucker pickup to split single coil or when two pickups are combined out of phase. The sound loses most of the bottom end and sounds thinner. ...

You can't hang a $4 "10K" transformer across ordinary guitar-cord sources. With ~~50K sources it lacks low-end, as you note. Coming out of the <100r buffer it will do better than spec.

Thanks for confirming theory.
  • SUPPORTER