Positive Ground Octave Up

Started by Dirtbag Devices, May 15, 2018, 02:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirtbag Devices

Hi everyone,
This is my first forum post, but I have built 5 or 6 pedals now. My latest project was a Joe Gagan "Easy Face" Fuzz, which is PNP (1 Si and 1 Ge transistor) and positive ground. I am powering it with a battery, because my other effects are daisy chained. My big idea is to add a foot-switchable octave up to the same enclosure, and ideally run them off the same battery. It's not a huge deal if I have to use 2 batteries, but I assume it is possible to make a positive ground octave up, although my limited understanding of transistors may be misleading me. I breadboarded out the Dan Armstrong "Green Ringer" and my initial thought was to swap the 2 NPN 2N5088s with some PNP equivalent, and swap the 2N3906 with a 2N3904.

Questions:
How do I wire the battery? Just swap black and red?
That will just put my +9V bus at 0V and my ground at -9V, Right?
Any recommendations for a PNP version on a 2N5088 that I can get my hands on?
Am I missing anything? Is ground swapping more nuanced then I am giving it credit for?

Thanks

PRR

• SUPPORTER

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: Dirtbag Devices on May 15, 2018, 02:54:26 PM
Questions:
How do I wire the battery? Just swap black and red?
That will just put my +9V bus at 0V and my ground at -9V, Right?
Any recommendations for a PNP version on a 2N5088 that I can get my hands on?
Am I missing anything? Is ground swapping more nuanced then I am giving it credit for?
In the order you've asked:
- yes
- yes
- like PRR said, use 2N5087 for PNP. Or BC557/558/559, beware of the pinouts (just rotate the transistor 180 degrees).
- well, you need to reverse electrolytics too. But in the green ringer, you don't have any (besides a possible filtering cap). And some circuits don't work too good when reversing the polarity. Try and see how's the results.

Also, Tim Escobedo's Pushme Pullyou and Rambler are both nice and easy octave circuits, just don't know how they'll behave at positive ground.

Suggestion: build one of these: http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com.br/2016/02/negative-voltage-inverter.html.  Now you can power your Easy Face with a regular power supply :icon_wink:.

Also, welcome to the forum!

Dirtbag Devices

Awesome! Thanks guys. It looks like I should be able to get this idea to work. I'll have to try out some other octave schematics too.