Can I install a 100w tweeter into a 250w amplifier?

Started by lach, May 19, 2018, 02:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lach

Hi I'm very new here so apologies if I don't do something right. I am building a practice bass amp using a 4ohm 250w 10 inch subwoofer and a 250w class d amplifier kitset from Jaycar(https://www.jaycar.co.nz/high-power-class-d-audio-amplifier-kit/p/KC5514). I haven't really gotten into the bulk of the making of it as I've been trying to finish the case which is pretty much done now so I can just go ahead and make it all at once. So I was just wondering if it would be worth trying to make a hi/lo crossover with a tweeter to better the dynamic range because I was wanting to use it for my bass guitar however the highest wattage tweeter I can find at Jaycar (because of that staff discount) is 100w so that wouldn't work would it? either way I need to somewhat eq the signal (add bass/treble pots) and add in a volume pot and I'm not even sure whether to do that before or after I amplify the signal. I would really appreciate if somebody from this great community could drop some knowledge about this and also potentially some schematics. Thanks  :D

Rob Strand

QuoteSo I was just wondering if it would be worth trying to make a hi/lo crossover with a tweeter to better the dynamic range because I was wanting to use it for my bass guitar however the highest wattage tweeter I can find at Jaycar (because of that staff discount) is 100w so that wouldn't work would it?

The whole idea of power ratings tweeters has its problems since it depends on the crossover frequency and the spectrum of the applied signal.   Very few tweeters (none?) will handle 100W sinewave.   HiFi tweeters often have a power rating with a specific crossover (and crossover frequency.)   

The ESP site has a good write-up.  You can see the tweeter power increasing as you decrease the crossover frequency.  The power also depends on the slope of the crossover.
http://sound.whsites.net/tweeters.htm

You need to add on top of that balancing the levels of the tweeter and woofer.  If the tweeter is very efficient you need to attenuate it and that means, as far as the system power is concerned, the system power increases.   With a bass amp you might not the tweeter on full so that lets you increase the effective input power.

I suspect you are going to use the Motorola tweeter (KSN1001A).   These don't have a crossover.  The 100W rating is based on a shaped noise input, which to some degree supposed to reflect the abuse of music. 

http://www.pispeakers.com/PIE_Speaker_Application_Note.pdf

The rating also assumes an 8 ohm system.   If you connect it to a 4 ohms the effective system power rating doubles.  However the sensitivity is effectively lower.  All in all I suspect with a 1x10" system you might just make it.

I've tried these for bass and they are "ok" in small doses.  The larger horns have a lower cut-off frequency and tend to be quite harsh.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

DIY Bass

What's all this about a tweeter on a bass?  :-)

Rob Strand

QuoteWhat's all this about a tweeter on a bass?  :-)

Sometimes I think the tweeters are too much.

The old 15" drivers were a bit too rolled off and nasally.

There's something to be said about arrays of smaller drivers!
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.