BSIAB 2 doesn't work

Started by Nuts, May 20, 2018, 11:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuts

Hello eveyone !
I built a BSIAB 2 and it doesn't work  :-[
I hear random explosions and weak guitar signal, there is no distortion...
The tone pot and the level pot somehow work, the drive pot only lowers the level as i turn it up.
I spent the whole day trying to fix it, but I couldn't find what the problem is.

I used the one from this site http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.il/2012/12/brown-sound-in-box-ii.html
it looks like this :

The voltages of the transistors are :
Q1
D=4.18
S=1.82
G=2.03

Q2
D=9.15
S=4.19
G=4.12

Q3
D=2.94
S=0.14
G=0

Q4
D=9.08
S=2.95
G=2.88

Q5
G=0
S=0.86
D=8.44

Do you have any idea what could be the problem ?

Thank you

thermionix

Do you have a schematic that matches the layout you used?

Nuts

There is one from General Guitar Gadget:

It doesn't include the Contour pot, which is connected to R7, and R7 value is changed from 47k to 5.6k.
It also has a diode D1 connected to V+
And Q3 Q4 are 2N5457 instead of J201's

Elijah-Baley

- Ok for the pictures, but it's a bit hard to see well every parts. Try to take another look to the component's position by yourself. And another check to the interruptions track.
- I see some wires missing, but probably you soldered in the same stripe in the middle of the board, it could be ok, but I can't see the reason to do it like that. And I see a wire under Q1, I can't identify it. So check all the wires, those have to connect the right spots.
- Cut the board at the exact size of the board next time, it makes the work easier.
- The caps close to the q3 are 150pF and 470pF. Them seem to me pretty big, but I use ceramic caps with those values. Are you sure about those?
- Check the value of the resistors. Use the multimeter or compare them with some of the right value you could have in your stock.
- Pass a knife between the stripes if you see some contacts.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

Nuts

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on May 21, 2018, 03:38:28 AM
- Ok for the pictures, but it's a bit hard to see well every parts. Try to take another look to the component's position by yourself. And another check to the interruptions track.
- I see some wires missing, but probably you soldered in the same stripe in the middle of the board, it could be ok, but I can't see the reason to do it like that. And I see a wire under Q1, I can't identify it. So check all the wires, those have to connect the right spots.
- Cut the board at the exact size of the board next time, it makes the work easier.
- The caps close to the q3 are 150pF and 470pF. Them seem to me pretty big, but I use ceramic caps with those values. Are you sure about those?
- Check the value of the resistors. Use the multimeter or compare them with some of the right value you could have in your stock.
- Pass a knife between the stripes if you see some contacts.
Thank you so much !!! I used flat screwdrivier between the stripes and it works now  :D

duck_arse

can you remeasure and post your fet voltages now that it works, please?
don't make me draw another line.

Nuts

Q1
D=4.15
S=0.54
G=0.06

Q2
D=9.10
S=4.61
G=4.35

Q3
D=4.47
S=0.16
G=0.04

Q4
D=9.11
S=4.47
G=4.31

Q5
G=0.82
S=0.76
D=1.87

There is a high pitch sound that comes and goes now, even when the guitar volume is all the way down.

duck_arse

Q2 source and Q1 drain are connected and should be the same voltage.
Q5 gate should be 0.0x volts, yours is high for some reason. did you measure with no input signal? Q5 drain looks rather low for headroom, have you adjusted the trimpot?

Nuts

I did measure it without input signal, is it wrong ? I never done this before.
And yea, the trimpot is adjusted.

duck_arse

no, always measure your voltages without an input signal. the static measures.