Star grounding, why the insulated output jack?

Started by Max999, June 04, 2018, 06:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max999

Allright, I have been reading a lot of posts about star grounding in a pedal and this is what I found:

Best practice is to ground the input jack ( so Maxwells law sends the rfi riding along the cable to the chassis). Then we connect the sleeve of the input jack to a point on the pcb where the different traces carrying grounds meet ( the star). This seperates the ground currents so they all will be connected directly to a clean ground and they will all be at the same potential, eliminating hum and other ground related artifacts.

The part that I don't understand is why it is also neccesary to use an isolated output jack and run a wire from the sleeve to the star ground.

Why can't this be an unisolated jack without the wire? Isn't the chassis also providing a single connection to ground using an unisolated jack?

GibsonGM

Nope; it could create a ground loop (in theory).  Whether it WILL do so (in any way you can hear) is open to interpretation, though.   
The main reason for not grounding the jack to the enclosure and using the wire is, however...because over time it will work loose, and you'll get a god-awful BUZZZ when that happens! 

....usually, what we end up with is some sort of 'modified star', in practice...at least in MY practice, LOL...The current levels we're dealing with aren't high enough to worry as much as one would with an amp, for example.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

GGBB

Quote from: Max999 on June 04, 2018, 06:29:43 PM
Why can't this be an unisolated jack without the wire? Isn't the chassis also providing a single connection to ground using an unisolated jack?

Because then it isn't a star. The output jack ground would be connected to the input jack ground which then goes to the common star ground.
  • SUPPORTER

Marcos - Munky

It's because the star point is not in the chassis, and you need to directly connect every ground to the star point, including the output jack ground. If you use an unisolated output jack, the output jack ground will be indirectly connected to the star ground by the enclosure.

Btw, usually in pedals a star grounding doesn't really make a huge difference. A proper ground planning is required when building high gain preamps and/or circuits that use noise sensitive parts (J201, LM386, CD4049, to name a few), but in most of the cases, just avoid ground loops and you'll be fine. Ground loops are bad for any pedal.

EBK

Ideally, you use the chassis as a shield, but not a ground current conductor.  This means only a single point on the chassis gets connected to ground, and you aren't using the chassis to provide a ground for anything else.

(I prefer to ignore the fact that we easily get away with ignoring these types of "best practices" and the fact that following them does not make any audible difference. )
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Max999

Thanks everybody.

I see now that in my example the output jack ground is daisy chained with the input ground to the star point.

But what if I make the input jack ground the star point ... still wrong?

PRR

In audio gear as small as a pedal, "star grounding" is pointless.

You do want to be sure high-current paths don't share the wire with low-current paths. Otherwise none of the wires are long enough that "star" or "bus" or "mish-mosh" really matters.
  • SUPPORTER

Max999

I like high gain PRR. What I noticed is that humfree circuit followed by a clean amp/pedal will suddenly have worse perceived noise specs because of the compression of the high gain. Offcourse high gain will always have a high noise floor, but if I can change 5% of it I will try to. (Emphasis on "try")  :)

Paul Marossy

Honestly, in my experience, the only place I've found star grounding to be useful is in a tube amp.

EBK

I use the DC jack as a star ground in my pedals, despite the fact that they would sound exactly the same if I didn't.  For me, it is part of the artistry/craftsmanship* and makes me feel more proud of my work.

*A personal aesthetic choice -- I don't feel that my stuff is better that anyone else's just because I choose to do it my particular way.
  • SUPPORTER

Paul Marossy

Quote from: EBK on June 04, 2018, 07:13:45 PM
Ideally, you use the chassis as a shield, but not a ground current conductor.  This means only a single point on the chassis gets connected to ground, and you aren't using the chassis to provide a ground for anything else.

True, but that was not common practice for a long time. Almost all of the older effects used the chassis as a common ground. But back then tape hiss and pops on records were just accepted, as well as some hum from amp/pedal/guitar.

vigilante397

I completely ignore star grounding convention in pedals and just ground everything everywhere.  :icon_twisted:

It tends to work.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

EBK

I imagine if you purposely tried to create an infinite number of ground loops, you'd end up with effectively zero ground loops....  :icon_confused:
  • SUPPORTER

vigilante397

Quote from: EBK on June 06, 2018, 06:34:01 PM
I imagine if you purposely tried to create an infinite number of ground loops, you'd end up with effectively zero ground loops....  :icon_confused:

That's exactly my strategy when building pedals. In amps I absolutely go for star grounding, but in pedals I find the Infinite Ground Loop Cancellation convention to be extremely useful.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

MrStab

forgetting all concerns about ground loops, IMO star grounding is way more reliable for enclosure-shielding generally. use a coupla tooth washers along with your crimp, nut and bolt and that thing will never come loose.

RG's system of using a PNP to power up charge pump circuits via. a stereo input jack often makes me wonder if there are other scenarios in which it's bad to pass circuit grounds so close to the high-impedance input. That's another reason i always avoid grounding everything to the input jack.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

reddesert

IMO, star grounding is a well-tested tube amp practice that has made its way into pedals with no particularly good engineering reason.

MrStab

i contend that as the input jack is a mechanical component which may be used fairly frequently and has some risk of loosening, its role should be purely that of carrying the input signal and its specific ground, and shouldn't be relied on for the entire ground network to reach the enclosure. So while the intention may often be wrong, i think star grounding is superior for that reason.
Recovered guitar player.

GibsonGM

Quote from: GibsonGM on June 04, 2018, 06:46:59 PM
Nope; it could create a ground loop (in theory).  Whether it WILL do so (in any way you can hear) is open to interpretation, though.   
The main reason for not grounding the jack to the enclosure and using the wire is, however...because over time it will work loose, and you'll get a god-awful BUZZZ when that happens! 

....usually, what we end up with is some sort of 'modified star', in practice...at least in MY practice, LOL...The current levels we're dealing with aren't high enough to worry as much as one would with an amp, for example.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

MrStab

i should have re-read other posts before opening my beak! anyone got a cracker?
Recovered guitar player.

blackieNYC

Star grounding can really be fruitful in building a studio. In fact, you'd be crazy not to. There usually is a couple "sub-stars" going on, but you can't stray too far.
I believe the size of the loops is one of the factors- in the sense of accidentally fabricating an antenna, and ground runs that have a little resistance, thus potential difference, between ends, are the kinds of factors that lead to problems in the high- fidelity atmosphere of a studio. It's hard to believe these problems can happen in a little aluminum box.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers