Project development: Creaky Floor

Started by EBK, January 25, 2019, 09:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebunny

Quote from: amz-fx on October 07, 2021, 09:24:51 AM
I was in Japan a few years back and visited a very old home where the floors were made to be intentionally squeaky to act as a form of burglar alarm should anyone attempt to gain entry in the middle of the night. The squeaks sounded almost like chirping birds  :o

A friend of mine had the whole of his front garden covered in gravel for the same reason.  Then complained when I walked small sharp stones onto his pristine wooden floors...   :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

anotherjim

Quote from: duck_arse on October 07, 2021, 09:35:48 AM
... I've been cutting-up a floorboard for a noisemaker front panel of late.
And you covered the hole with a rug, right?)
Quote from: bluebunny on October 07, 2021, 11:13:05 AM
A friend of mine had the whole of his front garden covered in gravel for the same reason.  Then complained when I walked small sharp stones onto his pristine wooden floors...   :icon_rolleyes:
So next time you hop over there - go barefoot. Then they'll complain about the blood...

marcelomd

Quote from: amz-fx on October 07, 2021, 09:24:51 AM
I was in Japan a few years back and visited a very old home where the floors were made to be intentionally squeaky to act as a form of burglar alarm should anyone attempt to gain entry in the middle of the night. The squeaks sounded almost like chirping birds  :o

regards, Jack

From Wikipedia:
QuoteNightingale floors (鴬張り or 鶯張り, uguisubari) About this soundlisten (helpĀ·info) are floors that make a chirping sound when walked upon. These floors were used in the hallways of some temples and palaces, the most famous example being Nijō Castle, in Kyoto, Japan. Dry boards naturally creak under pressure, but these floors were built in a way that the flooring nails rub against a jacket or clamp, causing chirping noises. It is unclear if the design was intentional. It seems that, at least initially, the effect arose by chance. An information sign in Nijō castle states that "The singing sound is not actually intentional, stemming rather from the movement of nails against clumps in the floor caused by wear and tear over the years". Legend has it that the squeaking floors were used as a security device, assuring that none could sneak through the corridors undetected.

PRR

Quote from: bluebunny on October 07, 2021, 11:13:05 AMA friend of mine had the whole of his front garden covered in gravel for the same reason.  Then complained when I walked small sharp stones onto his pristine wooden floors...   :icon_rolleyes:

School I used to work for did it different. The back garden was "carpeted" in round river-stones. Ideal for breaking into office windows.

A few blinking lights deterred the vandals for a few years.
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Dropping a note here, mostly for myself:

I need to add the trim components to the schematic.  It is a 10k trimpot in series with a 2.7k fixed resistor and a toggle switch.  This entire combination is placed in parallel with the FSR.  When connected by the toggle, it reduces the effective resistance of the FSR when no force is applied.  For the circuit, this mimics the condition where a bit of force is applied.  Adjustable from (basically) none to enough to light the second bar.

When no bars are lit, there is no audio output. When the first bar is lit, the output is a buffered version of the pedal input.  When the second bar is lit, the output is buffered version of the return jack signal.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

EBK

Edit: cleaner schematic.

• SUPPORTER

EBK

A quick and crude demo with a clean input and a noisy fuzz connected to the send/return (yes, I know. I buffered a fuzz...  :icon_rolleyes:).  It shows that the pedal works.  I'll make music with it later.

If you missed the description of how this works:
Think of the LED bars as being numbered from 1 to 10, top to bottom.  When an odd bar is lit, you hear the input jack signal.  When an even bar is lit, you hear the return jack signal.  The bar graph also serves as a force meter.
  • SUPPORTER

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER

duck_arse

don't make me draw another line.

bluebunny

Quote from: duck_arse on October 09, 2021, 08:35:51 AM
what does the bargraph on the sausage indicate/quantify?

Ten scorch marks = I think Eric has his full weight on it.
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

That demo video is also a demo of my Cuban cigar box amp, by the way (as picked up by my tiny cell phone mic and compressed by my phone and YouTube  :icon_razz:).
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Some more fun noises, this time with a flanger:
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

For completeness, here is the Creaky Floor by itself, with nothing plugged into the send/return jacks:

• SUPPORTER

fowl

The socks sound just like the shoes.

EBK

I started to record one barefoot, but decided against it.   :icon_razz:
  • SUPPORTER

anotherjim

Quote from: EBK on October 13, 2021, 04:23:24 PM
I started to record one barefoot, but decided against it.   :icon_razz:
Will your toenails grow back after you made picks out of them?

EBK

Yes, but I'm still keeping my socks on.  :icon_razz:
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Minor update:  I cleaned up the schematic above.
  • SUPPORTER

lubdar

I was just directed to this project, and Whoa!!! very interesting!!!

Phend

EBK; You have exactly 14 days to get this done before Halloweeeeeen.
(I was going to say your pedal stinks but see it might not be the pedal after all)
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.