The Please Steal My Idea Thread

Started by EBK, February 20, 2019, 04:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ripthorn

Set them up so that they control two different loops with different effects chains and make the switching back and forth random, but with tap tempo, so it always switches in time, you just don't know how many counts it will take.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

imJonWain

I had the idea earlier to build a messy glitchy pedal around a discreet Schmidt trigger that feeds into a adjustable low pass filter or some sort then follow it up with a gain stage to make up for the volume loss in the filtering. 

I don't doubt someone has done this already but it might sound cool.  Maybe I'll breadboard it later.
  • SUPPORTER
TFRelectronics

Ratimus

Quote from: imJonWain on May 09, 2020, 12:26:34 PM
I had the idea earlier to build a messy glitchy pedal around a discreet Schmidt trigger that feeds into a adjustable low pass filter or some sort then follow it up with a gain stage to make up for the volume loss in the filtering. 

I don't doubt someone has done this already but it might sound cool.  Maybe I'll breadboard it later.

Tim Escobedo's "PWM" is cool. Uses a CMOS Schmitt trigger, and the varying pulse width gives a somewhat similar effect to modulating the cutoff frequency of a resonant filter.

Ratimus

I want to see a pedal demo where someone's like "here's my clean tone..." and plunks around for a bit,  then you see the finger come out and hit that 3PDT with a satisfying "kchunk" and you hear those sweet, sweet opening sounds of a timeless classic by a certain Mr. Astley.

Fancy Lime

Quote from: Ratimus on May 09, 2020, 02:49:12 PM
I want to see a pedal demo where someone's like "here's my clean tone..." and plunks around for a bit,  then you see the finger come out and hit that 3PDT with a satisfying "kchunk" and you hear those sweet, sweet opening sounds of a timeless classic by a certain Mr. Astley.

Yes! Do it! Do it now!
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

EBK

Idea: Sometimes a single letter change makes all the difference.  Build a Fugz* Pedal!
Something intentionally hideous looking.  Bonus points if it sounds amazing!  Bonus points if it sounds aweful!  :icon_twisted:

*Here is a NSFW definition of "fugz", for those blissfully unaware:
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Fugz
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

duck_arse

I thought the was a something called the fuzzly bear, but turns out not. anyhoo, could be the fugly bear.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

bluebunny

Get the good folks at Bud Uglly Design to contribute some of their expertise.  :o
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

11-90-an

Idea: fully DIY stompbox - hand-rolled resistors and caps, self-made transistors and diodes and plus points for a diy footswitch!  8)
flip flop flip flop flip

Ben N

Quote from: EBK on June 17, 2020, 09:42:37 AM
Idea: Sometimes a single letter change makes all the difference.  Build a Fugz* Pedal!
Something intentionally hideous looking.  Bonus points if it sounds amazing!  Bonus points if it sounds aweful!  :icon_twisted:
Would that be something these guys would have used?
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Idea: A Shishito Pepper Overdrive
A nice overdrive with subtly sweet flavor, BUT...
when you step on the footswitch to activate it, there is about a 1 in 10 chance of some mildly spicy distortion being added.
  • SUPPORTER

11-90-an

Quote from: EBK on October 08, 2020, 08:42:40 AM
Idea: A Shishito Pepper Overdrive
A nice overdrive with subtly sweet flavor, BUT...
when you step on the footswitch to activate it, there is about a 1 in 10 chance of some mildly spicy distortion being added.

Here's a quick proposal:  :icon_lol:

basically, when the footswitch position is "off", or clean signal passes through, the clock enable of the CD4017 is LOW, and so it keeps counting, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.
when the footswitch is turned on, the clock enable is now HIGH, and so the CD4017 stops counting, and is stuck to whatever value counted. Since the CD4017 has 10 out pins, and only 1 of them is connected to the JFET-switching-system-that-controls-something, the chances are 1/10... I think the chances are *too* slim... 1/5 i guess?
flip flop flip flop flip

anotherjim

Like some buildings have no 13th floor, this forum should skip page 13 of threads.

By now, has anyone had nothing better to but count how many ideas presented herein have become reality?

Harry Muff

Quote from: Rob Strand on February 20, 2019, 04:42:55 PM
QuoteI'd like to see someone build a pedal named Resting Bitch Face (my wife used the phrase recently, and it struck me as awesome  :icon_razz:).
I'd like to see a pedal named "Muff Squeezer" in honor of Donald Trump.

"the grabber"  just grab it you got money to bribe everyone

amptramp

A pedal that detects signal going below a certain threshold and inserts swear words.  I could write the advertising copy:

Be the first musician you know to use the Tour-ettes pedal!  Perfect for the touring musician who doesn't have time during a gig to complain about all the crap that goes on when you are touring.

Tour-ettes might be a pretty good name for a band that is always travelling.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Ben N on June 24, 2020, 07:48:48 AM
Quote from: EBK on June 17, 2020, 09:42:37 AM
Would that be something these guys would have used?

I was kind of hoping that it would be the supposedly legendary "Fug fuzz".  I think Josh Scott had it mentioned to him in one of the fuzz history Youtubes he did.  I asked bassist Leland Sklar on his Youtube channel if he could ask Danny Kortchmar about it, since Kortchmar briefly played in the Fugs along with fellow guitarist Kenny Pine and Sklar said he would pass my question along to Danny, since they are now bandmates.  I also asked Kortchmar on one of his YT channel videos, but no one has gotten back to me.  It may have been something unique, made specifically for one or both of them, or it may have simply been an existing early version of the Guild Foxey Lady or Big Muff Pi that the maker told them was unique.  If one listens to the guitar solo on "The Garden is Open" from their Tenderness Junction album, there is a really nice wooly violin-like overdrive sound on the guitar solo (and yes, I know there is an actual violin solo in the song as well) that might be the sound of the reputed device.  It was over 50 years ago, so I'm not expecting a flawless recollection by anyone.  But it would be nice to know that either it's not a real thing or was simply a BMP with a couple different cap values that someone made for the guys.

EBK

Sorry for the let down, Mark.  I hope your quest eventually yields some useful info.  I had sadly never heard of the Fugs before I made my silly suggestion.
  • SUPPORTER

iainpunk

a mistake amplifier

it uses DSP to analyse which notes and schales you are playing and every mistake/wrong note gets a heavy dose of reverb and delay to make it stick out even more

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Fancy Lime

Quote from: iainpunk on November 04, 2020, 02:38:22 PM
a mistake amplifier

it uses DSP to analyse which notes and schales you are playing and every mistake/wrong note gets a heavy dose of reverb and delay to make it stick out even more

cheers, Iain
We'll call it the Jazzer's Friend...

I used to live near a church. Throughout November and December, a group of five kids used to play Christmas carols on the steps in front of it. On trombones. Five trombones! Five 12-14 year-olds honking the same three carols over and over each weekend, somehow seeming to play in 27 different keys and 8.5 tempos at once. I wonder what you pedal idea would do with that.

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

amptramp

Quote from: EBK on November 04, 2020, 01:36:37 PM
Sorry for the let down, Mark.  I hope your quest eventually yields some useful info.  I had sadly never heard of the Fugs before I made my silly suggestion.

The Fugs started in 1964 in New York City and were famous for doing raunchy songs like "Do You Like Boobs a Lot" and "Coca-Cola Douche".  NYC didn't really have much more going for it until the Ramones.