Author Topic: The Please Steal My Idea Thread  (Read 32396 times)

vigilante397

Re: The Please Steal My Idea Thread
« Reply #280 on: January 14, 2021, 11:45:40 AM »
Random thought of the day:

Where are all the pedals with googly eyes on them?  Should be dozens of them.  I haven't seen any.  :icon_eek: :icon_razz:
You must be looking in the wrong places.

Not affiliated, unfortunately.
"I'm not sure what "serious design flaws" you see. Does it explode or poison your dog?" - PRR

www.sushiboxfx.com

Ripthorn

« Reply #281 on: January 14, 2021, 01:41:32 PM »
i currently have no breadboard space available, but i have been thinking about a device i call the character box.

it's basically a cascading of a bunch of BJT or Jfet gainstages and resistive dividers. first boosting 3x then reducing 3x and boosting and reducing etc... this would impart nonlinearities of the devices used, without really clipping. it would be an extremely subtle effect and good noiseless devices should be used but i think it can make a clean guitar sound 'warmer' and fuller due to a bunch of added harmonic content.

cheers, Iain

Even with some noise, it could add some vintage mojo. A little noise and warmth and you have vinyl mode.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

iainpunk

« Reply #282 on: January 14, 2021, 02:24:37 PM »
i currently have no breadboard space available, but i have been thinking about a device i call the character box.

it's basically a cascading of a bunch of BJT or Jfet gainstages and resistive dividers. first boosting 3x then reducing 3x and boosting and reducing etc... this would impart nonlinearities of the devices used, without really clipping. it would be an extremely subtle effect and good noiseless devices should be used but i think it can make a clean guitar sound 'warmer' and fuller due to a bunch of added harmonic content.

cheers, Iain

Even with some noise, it could add some vintage mojo. A little noise and warmth and you have vinyl mode.
that sound better, 'vinyl mode' as the name, and some cheap LP cut out on top of the enclosure.
it won't have any gain or loss, so its not going to have any pots or switches.
i have been thinking and i am going to add inverting opamp gain stages to cascade the non linearity the same way, not back and forth.
subtile filtering a-la bbe sonic maximizer, but on the cheap, with some bridge-t filtering clipping to slightly reduce some mids and add sparkle and bottom
(which is what the BBE essentially does, its an expensive, subtle mid-scoop, that's why it works better on bass and fully mixed music than on guitar. using it life will make you fade in to the mix a little bit and stand out less....)

cheers, Iain
half man - half snail - 6 feet to scale - Snail man's - not frail - He's been - to jail
snail man [x11]
snail man is fuccing real

Ripthorn

« Reply #283 on: January 14, 2021, 04:44:50 PM »

cheers, Iain

that sound better, 'vinyl mode' as the name, and some cheap LP cut out on top of the enclosure.
it won't have any gain or loss, so its not going to have any pots or switches.
i have been thinking and i am going to add inverting opamp gain stages to cascade the non linearity the same way, not back and forth.
subtile filtering a-la bbe sonic maximizer, but on the cheap, with some bridge-t filtering clipping to slightly reduce some mids and add sparkle and bottom
(which is what the BBE essentially does, its an expensive, subtle mid-scoop, that's why it works better on bass and fully mixed music than on guitar. using it life will make you fade in to the mix a little bit and stand out less....)

cheers, Iain

You could make the enclosure out of an old record that gets heat formed over a 1590B or 1590A or whatever fits the circuit! If you need one pot, it could go through the center hole.

duck_arse

« Reply #284 on: January 15, 2021, 08:23:20 AM »
Random thought of the day:

Where are all the pedals with googly eyes on them?  Should be dozens of them.  I haven't seen any.  :icon_eek: :icon_razz:
You must be looking in the wrong places.

Not affiliated, unfortunately.

that's disturbing. iddley.

a Homer after licking the toad would be good.

"I think we're done here."

iainpunk

« Reply #285 on: January 15, 2021, 08:56:23 AM »
If you need one pot, it could go through the center hole.
that's where the 3pdt goes

cheers
half man - half snail - 6 feet to scale - Snail man's - not frail - He's been - to jail
snail man [x11]

Ripthorn

« Reply #286 on: January 15, 2021, 09:25:34 AM »
If you need one pot, it could go through the center hole.
that's where the 3pdt goes

cheers

Ooh, yeah, good idea.

Fancy Lime

« Reply #287 on: January 16, 2021, 01:22:36 AM »
Has anyone tried controlling a BBD flanger or delay via a theremin-like antenna controlled oscillator? I recently monkeyd around with a CD4069 based Schmitt Trigger oscillator and noticed that the frequency changes in some settings when I got my hand near some wires on the breadboard. So I checked and sure enough, there are theremin designs out there that use the exact same kind of oscillator but tuned to kHz instead of Hz. It seems feasible to use that effect fo control a BBD with a copper plate by foot, doesn't it? If I had any time at all, I'd get right to it but I don't. I'm sure I'm not the first to come up with that idea. Is there a commercial pedal that does that? Have you guys tried?

Cheers,
Andy

No one? Or did this just get buried under the googly eyes?

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

garcho

« Reply #288 on: January 16, 2021, 10:58:00 AM »
Would it be different than having the rate controlled via expression pedal with a pot?
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Fancy Lime

« Reply #289 on: January 16, 2021, 11:36:36 AM »
Very different. I don't mean "control the LFO via proximity sensor". I mean "use the proximity controlled HFO directly to control the delay time of the BBD". For a flanger that would mean not having an LFO at all and just controlling the swoosh directly by foot. I'd buy that.

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

iainpunk

« Reply #290 on: January 16, 2021, 12:43:22 PM »
No one? Or did this just get buried under the googly eyes?

Andy
yeah, this got buried by googly eyes, i haven't heard of it, neither have i tried it...
would be fun, but a treadle has a sturdy surface to put your foot on to and a pivot for referencing musscle memory against, but a theremin has no sturdy surface to stand on and nothing to reference muscle memory against, since you are always moving around on stage.
its fun while you're sitting on a chair, but i have gig-jammed with the Zvex Fuzz Probe once, and it wast't fun to use on stage, while moving and rocking out, it doesn't support you like a treadle does, and it doesn't give you a fixed point like a fuzz does...

cheers, Iain

edit:
i think a piezo pressure probe is easier. both in using it and designing a circuit that reliably works for an LFO
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 12:50:30 PM by iainpunk »
snail man [x11]

garcho

« Reply #291 on: January 16, 2021, 03:50:38 PM »
For a flanger that would mean not having an LFO at all and just controlling the swoosh directly by foot. I'd buy that.

Ah, yes. I have digital effects that do that. They end up sounding a little like a weird wah pedal or VCF, but like I said, it's just code, not actual delay circuitry. I agree, I'd buy one! If it's not a million bucks.

a sturdy surface to put your foot on to and a pivot for referencing musscle memory

+1. Also where many guitarists pick up the bad habit of propping their right hands up with their pinky
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"