Grounding circuit board

Started by Antonio1963, March 08, 2019, 12:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antonio1963

I just finished my first fuzz pedal and well it sounds really good it's very very noisy. When you engage the pedal before playing there is a good amount of noise. None of my other pedals on my board have this problem. I'm thinking it might be a ground issue. The circuit board itself has two points on it were a ground wire is supposed to be soldered into it however I'm not real sure where the other end of the wire supposed to go. Where is the best place to ground the wire from the board.

Dasher

If the effect is working properly (but noisy), then I don't think that grounding is the most likely source of the noise. How are you powering the pedal? If you're using a power supply, try using a battery and see if that reduces the noise. Is the effect boxed up in a shielded enclosure yet?

mth5044

You should ideally ground everything at one point. I usually wire the board, switch, and output jack all the input jack sleeve tab, then wire that to the DC - tab. Some fuzzes are pretty noisy when the gain is up though. Linking to your project, providing voltages, and in general following the debug list will help get answers.

Antonio1963

Quote from: Dasher on March 08, 2019, 12:26:34 PM
If the effect is working properly (but noisy), then I don't think that grounding is the most likely source of the noise. How are you powering the pedal? If you're using a power supply, try using a battery and see if that reduces the noise. Is the effect boxed up in a shielded enclosure yet?
The enclosure is aluminum, I'm not sure what a shielded enclosure is. I am using a one spot power supply. I'll try a battery and see if it helps.

Antonio1963

Quote from: mth5044 on March 08, 2019, 12:28:01 PM
You should ideally ground everything at one point. I usually wire the board, switch, and output jack all the input jack sleeve tab, then wire that to the DC - tab. Some fuzzes are pretty noisy when the gain is up though. Linking to your project, providing voltages, and in general following the debug list will help get answers.
It was a $20 kit off of Amazon. There wasn't much by the way of documentation.

Antonio1963

Battery power didn't work to stop the noise. I grounded the board to the jack ground and that didn't work.  I removed it from the signal chain and played it directly through the amp  and that didn't work either. Could it be low quality parts in the kit?

aelling

Quote from: Antonio1963 on March 08, 2019, 01:00:59 PM
Quote from: mth5044 on March 08, 2019, 12:28:01 PM
It was a $20 kit off of Amazon. There wasn't much by the way of documentation.

Based on that printed layout it looks to be an IC Big Muff clone, which will be a bit noisy, even when you have the knobs at noon.

GibsonGM

741s can be fairly noisy.  It's hard to get a handle on just "how noisy" it really is.   If the enclosure is grounded, and board, jacks are grounded, and there are no cold solder joints, it may be as quiet as it's gonna get....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Dasher

Quote from: Antonio1963 on March 08, 2019, 08:20:40 PM
I removed it from the signal chain and played it directly through the amp  and that didn't work either.

I don't quite understand what you mean by this. Are you saying that the noise is there when the effect is turned off? Or are you saying that the noise is still there when the fuzz is the only effect in your signal chain?

Antonio1963

Quote from: Dasher on March 08, 2019, 09:56:40 PM
Quote from: Antonio1963 on March 08, 2019, 08:20:40 PM
I removed it from the signal chain and played it directly through the amp  and that didn't work either.

I don't quite understand what you mean by this. Are you saying that the noise is there when the effect is turned off? Or are you saying that the noise is still there when the fuzz is the only effect in your signal chain?
What I meant is that I removed it from my pedal board,  and hook it up by itself to the amp.
The noise is not there when the pedal is turned off only when it is turned on.