Would this be safe with an active guitar?

Started by RichC895, January 09, 2020, 08:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichC895

I built an a/b box using this circuit for my uncle who uses 2 guitars while playing out. He is thinking about getting an Eric Clapton Strat with the mid boost circuit and asked if he can still use it with that guitar. With this circuit, the unused input lead is grounded out. Will this cause any issues?

iainpunk

well, no and yes,

it depends on the circuit/chip used in the guitar.
you can avoid most problems by using a 1k resistor between the center lug of the switch and ground
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

RichC895

Quote from: iainpunk on January 09, 2020, 09:12:27 AM
well, no and yes,

it depends on the circuit/chip used in the guitar.
you can avoid most problems by using a 1k resistor between the center lug of the switch and ground

Thank you for the reply! I'm new to all this. My experience is solely wiring up guitars. This is my first stompbox attempt so excuse my ignorance. Will this affect the output of the guitars used?

antonis

Quote from: iainpunk on January 09, 2020, 09:12:27 AM
It could create a significant voltage off-set between Sleeves & DC Jack ground, couldn't it..?? :icon_wink:

P.S.
Welcome RichC895..!! :icon_smile:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

BluffChill

What's the potential issue here? It's just an AB switch, with presumably one guitar having a hotter output than the other?
Kits & Pedals! EctoVerb - HyperLight - Shagpile - http://bluffchilldevices.bigcartel.com/

PRR

Don't wire the Sleeves to the center switch lug.

You are using this plan backward: made for one in two out, you propose two in one out.

In the intended use, you do want to short the unused amplifier so it shuts-up. You do not need to short the unused guitar.

But my drugs are unsettled and you should wait to see if anybody will second my guess.
  • SUPPORTER