Another silly dual-stage overdrive

Started by Mark Hammer, January 04, 2021, 12:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11-90-an

Here's a quick perf layout, unverified, of course...

"Treble Pot version" is my suggestion here:
Quote from: 11-90-an on January 05, 2021, 01:38:28 AM
A quick mod, as I find myself looking for more treble (my taste), so replacing the 10k resistor on the output with a 4k7 in series with a 10k pot gives a tad bit of treble control without too much hiss, etc. This moves the LPF corner frequency from around 1kHz to 3.8kHz

Of course, stock is the original stock circuit by MH. If there are errors in the layout, please do tell... I will correct them as fast as I can...

Enjoy... :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

EDIT: I noticed an error in the layout, there is a missing 6k8 resistor. I'll change it in a while...

EDIT 2: Fixed it... :icon_mrgreen:

EDIT 3: Ahh drat... another error noticed... will proceed to fix, again

EDIT 4: Hopefully will be the last, fixed it and updated it again...  I am sad to say I cannot resist a jumper anymore...  :(

flip flop flip flop flip

Ben N

Eh, never mind.
  • SUPPORTER

Marcos - Munky

Very interesting!

As a 1590A guy, I did a 1590A layout for this one. Pots soldered to the board, no jumpers but the output wire have to be taken directly from the pot. Unverified, of course, and easy to be modded for a 1590B (which also solve the output wire "issue").

I can't really say when I'll be able to verify it. But I can share the files if anybody wants to give it a try.

Mark Hammer

Wow!  You guys make me feel like a king.  I hold out my hand and there is instantly a full brandy snifter in it.  I'm spoiled. 

It should be able to fit in a 1590A.  I perfed it on a board that is 12 x 16 holes, and that was only because I didn't have any small ceramic disc caps of the right values and had to use bigger plastic ones.

Just as an aside, these days, I'm finding I like to use these things for IC sockets, breaking off pieces to suit the number of pins in the chip.  It doesn't add much to the height of the components but it provides a little bit of space under the IC for things like 1/8w resistors and small caps running between pins 1-4 and 5-8.  A handy space-saver.

Fancy Lime

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 06, 2021, 04:19:25 PM
Wow!  You guys make me feel like a king.  I hold out my hand and there is instantly a full brandy snifter in it.  I'm spoiled. 
Well deserved and earned. Long live the King! (Is something I never thought I'd say but in this case I'll take a short break from the antiauthoritarianism just this once.)

Three cheers,
Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

iainpunk

Quotebut in this case I'll take a short break from the antiauthoritarianism just this once
don't have to,
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Anarcho-monarchism

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Fancy Lime

Quote from: iainpunk on January 06, 2021, 05:06:14 PM
Quotebut in this case I'll take a short break from the antiauthoritarianism just this once
don't have to,
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Anarcho-monarchism

cheers, Iain
Interesting, though I tend to favor absolute anarchy with a strong anarch  :icon_lol:
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

Vivek

Thank you, Mark, for your insightful comments and advice for so many years !

Vivek

At which point does having even more gain stages lead to no additional tonal benefit ?

Vivek

ASDFGH

Another
Silly
Dual-stage
Filtered
Gain-pedal
by Hammer !

Fancy Lime

Quote from: Vivek on January 07, 2021, 09:06:32 AM
ASDFGH

Another
Silly
Dual-stage
Filtered
Gain-pedal
by Hammer !

Sounds like a Lovecraftian monster. Something with nine wings and 17 tentacles on it's back. I like it.

Cheers,
Andy

Mark Hammer

The "ASDFGH" is on page 19 of the current IKEA catalog.  It is either a kitchen stepstool to reach higher cupboards, or else an implement for stacking comforters in the linen closet.

These days, I find the boundaries between IKEA product names and the names of various pharmaceuticals I see advertised on television, have pretty much dissolved.  Much like the names of holiday resorts and drugs.  Pedals aren't far behind.

Is a Mjolnir something I take for psoriasis, somewhere I should go for a honeymoon, something I use to neatly store over-sized cutlery, or something I use to drive an amp?  I can't tell anymore.

iainpunk

OT: sorry in advance
Quotekitchen stepstool to reach higher cupboards,
why not make lower hanging cupboards if you are smoll? or just grow more?

Dutch people are the tallest in the world, and i am relatively tall here, wanna know the secret? i was a righ menace when i was a child, and every time i got disciplined, its Dutch culture to receive a kick in the butt, getting more of those upwards kicks makes you grow taller, while having to bend over for a spanking, like in other cultures, slows growth down.
that's why the Dutch don't need stepping stools (in the kitchen, we still use them to clean the roofs of our houses, we're not THAT tall)

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Mark Hammer

When I did my masters degree thesis, much of the research I had to draw from was from Dutch researchers, many of whom were affiliated with medical schools.  That latter aspect meant that there could easily be 6 or more authors attached to a paper, since they all get co-authorship by loaning access to an expensive piece of machinery to another lab.  It's like that everywhere in medical schools.  You buy a pricey piece of gear with your grant, and you share it with others who have a different pricey piece of gear, with the understanding that you get a co-authorship when you let them use your stuff.  Upwards of 10 authors on a paper is not uncommon for that reason.

The trouble was that all those Dutch names were bloody long, and conformed to none of the spelling/pronunciation rules of English names.  Some welded the "van" to the second-part of the name, without a space, obliging an upper-case V, while others left the space, requiring a lower-case v.  It wasn't at all like briefly looking at the title page of an American study from a psychology lab by "Smith & Jones", and then turning to the keyboard to type in the reference.  In typing up the references section at the end of the thesis, I grew to hate the Dutch.  ;D  I know I shouldn't, but dammit, they hurt me so bad.  :icon_cry:

Fancy Lime

A significant portion of the research I cited in my masters thesis was in Russian. A whole new set of problems for the reference list... Needless to say, I don't even speak Russian. Good things that science uses so much jargon that you understand a lot if you can only read the alphabet. So I just learned that and was content with being able to understand the figures. I should learn Russian properly some time and I hope I'll manage before retirement.

Andy

iainpunk

mark, the different forms of last names all have meaning, the vanName is for small land owners or farmers in the west while names ending with -ing or -ink mean a farm in 'de achterhoek' (like Boeing, there is still a farm called that in de achterhoek) and different ways of spelling names that are pronounced the same has to do with social class, and last names changed if you changed in social status, its quite an interesting history, but my english isn's sufficient to translate the whole inner workings of dutch names, and describing words that don't exist in other languages is hard.

i'm glad i don't have a Dutch name, my last name is Romanov Schmaloer (its German, i'm totally not a Russian time traveler)

cheers, Iain

cheers

Mark Hammer

Nice!  I should have known you've covered this ground long ago.  And SIX pages of posts?!   :icon_eek:

PRR

• SUPPORTER

Fender3D

Quote from: iainpunk on January 07, 2021, 03:26:12 PM
...Dutch people are the tallest in the world, and i am relatively tall here, wanna know the secret? i was a righ menace when i was a child, and every time i got disciplined, its Dutch culture to receive a kick in the butt...

Those must have been quite effective kicks, 'cause, here in Italy, I took a wide selection of them (and still I do) and I barely reach 1.70m....  ;D
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge