Original Gristleizer rebuild

Started by TheLoneRoger, January 14, 2021, 11:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheLoneRoger

I'm rebuilding my original Phonosonics Gristleizer (or "Guitar Effects Pedal" as the original PE article had it), and I have a couple of questions.
I know a few folks have created newer versions based on more 21st Century tech, but i would like to just get mine working rather than start a whole new board, if possible.
So, my Q's are:
1.The original used 741's throughout - mine, sadly are soldered directly to the board (I hate my younger self!), but would there be any value in replacing the VCA chip (IC5) at least with a TL071?
2. I seem to remember it ticked like a bomb; the updated version(s) have an optional de-ticking cap, but where would I put that on this board?
3. I would like to put the finished thing in a box with two other boards which has a -12/0/+12V psu - can I simply use a 7809/7909 pair to tap off a -9/0/+9V supply? The power unit has a pretty hefty heatsink, so I imagine it can take it.

TIA

Below is a scan of the Phonosonics layout sheet.

Kevin Mitchell

This is what I would try - I haven't built it myself but your questions are pretty straight forward.

1: Leave the UA741 chips be unless they're no good.
2: I would solder a 100nF decoupling capacitor between pins 4 and 7 on both IC4 and IC5. Either ceramic or film is fine.
3: You can definitely add those regulators to the supply. But I would use 12v regulator's input supply instead of their output to reduce any extra stain on those regulators. You'll only need a heatsink if the +/-9v current demand is high or if the regulator is burning off a lot of voltage to get to 9v.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

TheLoneRoger

Excellent, thanks - that"s all good news, and we like that!

It's been years since I've heard this thing, so I'm looking forward to getting it working again,
Cheers
Roger