Author Topic: Clarification on Pedal Grounding  (Read 1568 times)

garcho

Re: Clarification on Pedal Grounding
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2021, 09:57:46 AM »
Great thread. It's important to walk through things step by step. I think part of what makes this issue confusing for so many people is:

• often, when you do it "wrong", it works just fine
• self-taught tinkerers like myself tend to focus only on voltage and forget that electricity is voltage AND current
• ground vs earth vs shield vs reference vs... but it's all ground?!?!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 09:59:55 AM by garcho »
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Big Monk

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2021, 10:06:25 AM »
...i.e. a single connection to the enclosure is shunting rather than conducting current.
I prefer to think of it as the enclosure does not "participate" in the basic operations of the circuit.  Shielding is a "bonus" that the enclosure provides in this configuration, which I like to simply enjoy and take for granted.  :icon_wink:

Well said.

Appreciate the input. Now let me go build that power supply filter I've been thinking about all morning... :)
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

"Beneath the bebop moon, I'm howling like a loon, for you..." Marc Bolan

amz-fx

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2021, 05:27:08 PM »

regards, Jack

Rob Strand

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2021, 06:57:55 PM »
regards, Jack
Quite a good video but the motive behind it it more about safety and stopping audio geeks doing stupid things.

The part from 17:40 (and some background for that back to 14:52) is probably more useful in terms of understanding mains related  "buzz".

With that in mind you can start to think a bit more about how mains borne noise couples in,
https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/41727248an_347.pdf

If you can explain why touching the guitar strings decreases the buzz you know you have got the idea.
The internet:  answers without the need for understanding.