Alcapulco Gold LTSpice [project help]

Started by KingGeedorah95, March 14, 2021, 03:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingGeedorah95

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to characterize an Acalpulco Gold circuit in LTSpice. I've been using LTSpice for the past year during my electrical engineering degree so I'm familiar with the software but this is my first time trying to simulate a guitar pedal.

Here is what I go so far...

The pot and op-amps might be hard to read but they are 100k at 50% and LM386s

Now, I took the peak-to-peak of both Vin and Vout and obtained the gain. I multiplied Vin by the gain for verification and as you can see I've got a gain of ~5500. That's waaaaaaay too much isn't it? Wouldn't that be an upwards of +70 dB? Shouldn't it be something like +20? Idk. I can't find specs like this anywhere so please let me know if I'm wrong.

Am I using the incorrect input for my guitar signal? Right now it's set to 0.132 [mV] @ 1kHz. The rest of the schematic is in good shape, yeah?

FiveseveN

Hello and welcome!

Quote from: KingGeedorah95 on March 14, 2021, 03:27:57 AM
I've got a gain of ~5500. That's waaaaaaay too much isn't it?
Should be 40000-ish, it's a high-gain distortion, you will have a hard time getting a clean sine out of it. Which brings us to...

QuoteRight now it's set to 0.132 [mV]
That's more like the noise floor of a guitar signal. Here's an article by Jack Orman that goes into some detail: http://www.muzique.com/lab/pick.htm
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

anotherjim

The LM386 chip's datasheet does say the cap between pins  1 & 8 raises gain to 200. Total voltage gain with more than one stage multiplies by the gain of each consecutive stage. x3 followed by x3 is x9, not x6.
x5500 is too much, but I suppose there could be factors in the sim (noise & distortion?) and measurement (pk-pk vs RMS?) that can give such a large discrepancy because of the multiplying nature of the 2nd gain stage.

duck_arse

does your sim program recognise R1 as 1Meg or 1milli? [I know 0 about sims.] and welcome.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

KingGeedorah95

Quote from: FiveseveN on March 14, 2021, 04:56:08 AM
Hello and welcome!

Quote from: KingGeedorah95 on March 14, 2021, 03:27:57 AM
I've got a gain of ~5500. That's waaaaaaay too much isn't it?
Should be 40000-ish, it's a high-gain distortion, you will have a hard time getting a clean sine out of it. Which brings us to...

QuoteRight now it's set to 0.132 [mV]
That's more like the noise floor of a guitar signal. Here's an article by Jack Orman that goes into some detail: http://www.muzique.com/lab/pick.htm

Glad to be here and thank you for the article!

KingGeedorah95

Quote from: anotherjim on March 14, 2021, 08:55:18 AM
The LM386 chip's datasheet does say the cap between pins  1 & 8 raises gain to 200. Total voltage gain with more than one stage multiplies by the gain of each consecutive stage. x3 followed by x3 is x9, not x6.
x5500 is too much, but I suppose there could be factors in the sim (noise & distortion?) and measurement (pk-pk vs RMS?) that can give such a large discrepancy because of the multiplying nature of the 2nd gain stage.

I managed to find this information from the datasheet that you might be referencing...

"9.2.1.2.1 Gain Control

To make the LM386 a more versatile amplifier, two pins (1 and 8) are provided for gain control. With pins 1 and 8 open the 1.35-kΩ resistor sets the gain at 20 (26 dB). If a capacitor is put from pin 1 to 8, bypassing the 1.35-kΩ resistor, the gain will go up to 200 (46 dB). If a resistor is placed in series with the capacitor, the gain can be set to any value from 20 to 200. Gain control can also be done by capacitively coupling a resistor (or FET) from pin 1 to ground."

So I am going to try removing the second gain capacitor and maybe placing a pot there for gain control. Even using Vrms instead of Vpp there is less than a 1% difference in gain which leads me to believe there is a different problem at hand.

Thank you for your response!

KingGeedorah95

Quote from: duck_arse on March 14, 2021, 09:13:41 AM
does your sim program recognise R1 as 1Meg or 1milli? [I know 0 about sims.] and welcome.

Hahaha nope! I must've replaced 1Meg by mistake when I was doing some remodeling. I don't use Megs often so I am always forgetting that "M" isn't recognized by the syntax in LTSpice. Now that simulation looks like this...

There is some hard clipping on the output signal but that's desirable in a high gain/distortion pedal, isn't it?

I also changed my input voltage to 150 [mV] @ 640 Hz.

Vivek

Could you email me your LTSPICE file ? Thanks

KingGeedorah95

Quote from: Vivek on March 14, 2021, 04:25:15 PM
Could you email me your LTSPICE file ? Thanks

The link below should be shareable with anyone who uses it. All of the files are there including the LM386 .asy and .sub and the 1N4001 SPICE model. Let me know if you have any trouble accessing it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dUwpvGqqzTOBoi_ezlWijx5tabg0q2hx?usp=sharing

Vivek

Will you actually build this circuit after SPICING it up ?

ElectricDruid

Quote from: KingGeedorah95 on March 14, 2021, 11:50:12 AM

Hahaha nope! I must've replaced 1Meg by mistake when I was doing some remodeling. I don't use Megs often so I am always forgetting that "M" isn't recognized by the syntax in LTSpice.

Me too. I *think* I might now have got into the habit of using my new favourite 999K resistor value!

KingGeedorah95

Quote from: Vivek on March 15, 2021, 01:58:31 PM

Yeah! So I made a breadboard build and it sounds decent. Have you ever built this one? Any mods I should be aware of? I want to add gain control to the second op-amp.

I found another schematic that is slightly different so I'm going to SPICE it up and breadboard that one to see which I like better. Then I'm moving over to perfboard it and fit it into a tiny little 1590A. Just being introduced to KiCad so I'm not going to do a full out PCB layout just yet.

KingGeedorah95

Quote from: ElectricDruid on March 15, 2021, 05:47:51 PM
Quote from: KingGeedorah95 on March 14, 2021, 11:50:12 AM

Hahaha nope! I must've replaced 1Meg by mistake when I was doing some remodeling. I don't use Megs often so I am always forgetting that "M" isn't recognized by the syntax in LTSpice.

Me too. I *think* I might now have got into the habit of using my new favourite 999K resistor value!

Hell yeah! Haha that's great. -1k ain't going to make a difference at that level anyway.

PRR

• SUPPORTER

composition4

jdoughty

I just built this effect myself and it's awesome, so very excited to see if you can add a usable gain control! The variety of tones you can get with the volume knob is excellent, so I'm sure there's plenty of ways.

Vivek

Quote from: KingGeedorah95 on March 16, 2021, 01:11:34 PM
Quote from: Vivek on March 15, 2021, 01:58:31 PM

Yeah!  I'm going to SPICE it up and breadboard

It would be great if you decided to calculate expected signal level and distortion percentage/ wave shape at each stage

Off the cuff, I would assume that gain of first stage should be around 80 for the gain control of the second stage to be meaningful

( I cannot calculate more precisely since it depends upon

output of guitar signal

and impedance of guitar pickup

and also your tastes : Do you want from almost clean boost to mayhem  ? or mid distortion to high distortion ?

And loss in the inter-stage Low Pass filter)

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Vivek on March 18, 2021, 01:39:07 PM
( I cannot calculate more precisely since it depends upon

output of guitar signal

and impedance of guitar pickup

..both of which are widely variable, unfortunately.

A "guitar signal" is not a well-defined standard. In fact, the only way it *can* be defined is as "anything a guitar produces"!

Hence the effect of pedals that depend on gain and/or signal level for their effect is likely to be similarly variable. There's no way around this. The simplest solution is player-operated knobs that compensate for different signal levels, but then of course every player has a difference experience, which isn't ideal when people want to share "sweet spots" on the controls.