Corduroy Fuzz (Velvet fuzz) : How to get a bit more highs in the signal ?

Started by eh la bas ma, November 30, 2021, 09:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eh la bas ma

Hello,

I built a circuit that I love but have a dark calibration : a Wampler Velvet fuzz clone, Corduroy Fuzz.

https://www.pedalpcb.com/docs/Corduroy.pdf

...and i already added this mod (bypassing fuzz part) :

https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/bypassing-fuzz-part-in-corduroy-fuzz.2951/#post-54081

I like the sound of this circuit, but i would like to give  to the fuzz a bit more versatility, if possible.

I wonder if I could do a simple modification, adding high-mids in the signal to get a more open sound ?

I also noticed 2 caps and a resistor located around the Bright pot. Maybe I can try some other values on C18, C19 and R27... should I try to increase or decrease their values ?

Any help would be welcome !
"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.

Elijah-Baley

I never built this pedal, but I'm playing around the schematic, and I guess you need to work a bit with parts to find the right combination for your ear without create collateral effect like noise or oscillation issue or poor action of the Bright pot, for example.

In general:
- To get more treble you can reduce or remove C18.
- You can reduce C19 to get, overall, more mid high, not so high, and/or reduce R26 and R27, this will give you more treble but change the action of the Bright pot.

I know you modified the mode switching that swap the two input gain stage, but if you want:
- To get more treble in the 2N5089 input stage you can reduce or remove C10. Reduce R12, instead, could make a too little difference.
- To get more treble in the LM386 input stage you can reduce or remove C5.

If one or more than one of these things it's not enough or you don't like how the pedal sounds or the tone pot works, you could try to reduce the bass impact, that in this pedal seems rather boosted.
- In the 2N5089 input stage you can reduce C8, and in the LM386 stage you can reduce C1.
- In the rest of the circuit you can reduce C16 or some coupling cap: C15 and C17 have some margin to be reduced.

Let us to know. :)
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

Elijah-Baley

I found that replace the Bright 25k pot with a 50k helps to open up the tone.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

eh la bas ma

The B50k pot is quite effective, thanks !

It is much better now, even if I might take an other look one day.
"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.