DPDT On/On/On Question

Started by jwyles90, February 14, 2022, 03:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwyles90

Hey all,

Sorry if this is a simple question, I'm still pretty new to all of this so I'm still learning. I'm ordering some DPDT switches for a pedal and am wondering if I can mount the solder lug kind directly onto the PCB? Lovemyswitches only seem to have the PCB mount variation with the short toggle, and I'd prefer to use the long toggle (which is only available either in solder lug or extra mini size).

Thanks!

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

EBK

Whether you can mount the solder lug type depends on the board and how large the holes are.  Some PCBs are actually designed to have the solder lug type switches mounted to them.

In other words, what board are you using?
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

idy

And if you are ordering make sure you understand what kind of on on on is needed. There are two (mirror image) versions.

jwyles90

So I'm going to be using this board: https://aionfx.com/project/halo-distortion-sustainer/#&gid=pswgname1&pid=1
It calls for a Toggle switch DPDT on-on-on, which I'm assuming most DPDT on-on-on switches I've seen would work as long as they're the correct size.

antonis

Both of above posted should be fine..

Solid lugs may be "loose" if placed centered but you can off-set the switch either upwards or downwards to make physical contact with pads sides..

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

digi2t

As idy mentioned regarding ON-ON-ON switches...

There are two types, and the contact throws are mirrored. Make sure you check the project documentation to determine which type is required. One may not work with the project, especially if the switch is mounted directly to the PCB, and the board traces are designed as such. Here are the two types, and their respective throw sequences;

• SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

jwyles90

Ohhhh gotcha, that's helpful info! According to the build docs for that PCB it doesn't matter if I have type 1 or type 2?

ElectricDruid

Quote from: jwyles90 on February 14, 2022, 06:44:16 PM
Ohhhh gotcha, that's helpful info! According to the build docs for that PCB it doesn't matter if I have type 1 or type 2?

I've tried to find a way to make that work, but I can't see it, so I'm all ears if that's true.

jwyles90

Quote from: ElectricDruid on February 14, 2022, 06:48:53 PM
Quote from: jwyles90 on February 14, 2022, 06:44:16 PM

I've tried to find a way to make that work, but I can't see it, so I'm all ears if that's true.

It's on page 5: https://aionfx.com/project/halo-distortion-sustainer/

The way the switch is used (according to them) has the mids flat if the switch is in the middle position, then increases or scooped for the other two.

RickL

I think you're going to need the Type 1 version. The Type 2 version will work, in the sense that you'll get different sounds in each position, and in the two outside positions you'll get scooped and boosted mids, but according to the schematic the middle position should select CX1 and C11. The Type 1 version of the switch will do that. The Type 2 version will select C10 and CX2. But maybe that will give flat mids too.

jwyles90

Quote from: RickL on February 14, 2022, 08:03:20 PM
I think you're going to need the Type 1 version. The Type 2 version will work, in the sense that you'll get different sounds in each position, and in the two outside positions you'll get scooped and boosted mids, but according to the schematic the middle position should select CX1 and C11. The Type 1 version of the switch will do that. The Type 2 version will select C10 and CX2. But maybe that will give flat mids too.

Thanks for the help! I'll give Type 1 a shot then. It kinda seems like worst case scenario the toggle scoops the mids in the up position instead of down if I use the wrong type since each position of the toggle has a purpose?

RickL

Yup. And you may still get flat mids in the middle position (but I don't think so). You may actually prefer the tonal range in the middle position. The only way to really know is to try both versions of the switch.

Someone who understands the way the BMP tone control works better than I do (Mark?) can probably tell you exactly what the difference will be, but I'd say, use what you can get, and if you hate it, see if you can get the other version of the switch.