Cascading Charge Punps

Started by Big Monk, March 21, 2022, 11:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bean

Quote from: Big Monk on March 22, 2022, 11:06:12 AM
Quote from: antonis on March 22, 2022, 06:14:53 AM
18VDC should be more than fine.. :icon_wink:
(even 16VDC should be acceptable..)

Bear in mind original pedal's 24VAC are half-wave rectified..

I've been running my PedalPCB ElectroVibe at 24 vDC via a 12 vDC tap of my Truetone CS-7 and the internal charge pump. It has noticeably more depth at slower speeds over the 18 vDC via the 9 vDC tap.

My goal will probably be just to run a separate adapter for 24 vDC and forego the charge pump in my design for my new Vibe unit. I'll use a 15 vDC regulator downstream for the audio portions. Depending on the rated mA of the adapter, i should be able to get a touch more voltage than 24 vDC that way.

Does the CS7 have an 18v tap? If so, you could feed that to a 15v regulator which powers the LFO and send that 15v to a LT1054 in charge pump configuration. Take that output for the audio, unregulated. That gets you north of 24v and reduces the current requirement on the charge pump.

Big Monk

Quote from: bean on March 23, 2022, 08:01:51 AM
Quote from: Big Monk on March 22, 2022, 11:06:12 AM
Quote from: antonis on March 22, 2022, 06:14:53 AM
18VDC should be more than fine.. :icon_wink:
(even 16VDC should be acceptable..)

Bear in mind original pedal's 24VAC are half-wave rectified..

I've been running my PedalPCB ElectroVibe at 24 vDC via a 12 vDC tap of my Truetone CS-7 and the internal charge pump. It has noticeably more depth at slower speeds over the 18 vDC via the 9 vDC tap.

My goal will probably be just to run a separate adapter for 24 vDC and forego the charge pump in my design for my new Vibe unit. I'll use a 15 vDC regulator downstream for the audio portions. Depending on the rated mA of the adapter, i should be able to get a touch more voltage than 24 vDC that way.

Does the CS7 have an 18v tap? If so, you could feed that to a 15v regulator which powers the LFO and send that 15v to a LT1054 in charge pump configuration. Take that output for the audio, unregulated. That gets you north of 24v and reduces the current requirement on the charge pump.

Thanks Brian.

Yes, the CS7 has an 18 vDC tap.

I'm going to play around with a number of configurations, including dedicated AC wall adapters as well.

Between multiple different input taps, the Echoplex preamp style power supplies, etc., I think there is a winner in there somewhere that allows me the higher voltage for the LFO Darlington and Lamp section while maintaining the 15 vDC in the audio path.
"Beneath the bebop moon, I'm howling like a loon