Fuzz with a dry signal control

Started by Dwubyd, April 08, 2022, 04:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwubyd

I am wondering if anyone can point me to a PCB or pedal that is a fuzz with the option to add some or all of the dry signal to the output?

David

antonis

A mixing/blending pot and a couple of resistors should be fine, in case of particular Fuzz non-inverting output..
In case of inverting output, you'll also need an inverting buffer (either for dry signal axis or for Fuzz output..)
Or an inverting amp with variable gain, thus eliminating the need for mixing pot.. :icon_wink:

P.S.
Welcome..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

I would try it, but I am curious how the FF low input impedance would affect the dry signal (?) 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

Quote from: GibsonGM on April 08, 2022, 06:13:54 AM
I would try it, but I am curious how the FF low input impedance would affect the dry signal (?)

We have to consider signal source output impedance almost zero, don't we..??
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

Yes, and low FF input Z...will we get 'tone suck' by passively splitting?
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Dwubyd

Thanks for all the replies, but my Norwegian is not too good.

Being serious now, I get the general idea of what you are both discussing. I would be capable of using, say, a Big Muff PCB and adding the blending pot and inverter (if required). However I would prefer to find a PCB that has the blending included.

I found a pedal that seems to do this: Old Blood Noise Endeavors Haunt

However I like to build pedals, and they are much cheaper when I build them.

....now to answer the 6 questions. I promise I would cheat by using Google.

antonis

Quote from: GibsonGM on April 08, 2022, 07:15:20 AM
Yes, and low FF input Z...will we get 'tone suck' by passively splitting?

It depends on mixing pot and resistors (if any) values..

IMHO, what would be interesting is to form, after the splitting point, an impedance for dry signal equivalent with that of Fuzz..

antonis

Quote from: Dwubyd on April 08, 2022, 07:36:34 AM
However I like to build pedals, and they are much cheaper when I build them.

That's a very debatable statement.. :icon_wink:

P.S.
I can't see any difficulty in just adding a pot to an already existent PCB, where this addition actually doesn't deal with no PCB point other than IN & OUT..

GibsonGM

Dwubyd, I think Big Muff Pi would work better for this.

https://www.electrosmash.com/big-muff-pi-analysis

Non-inverting...all you need is what Antonis said...a blend pot.  It is not on the PCB...  :)
  • SUPPORTER

Elektrojänis

Ampeg Scrambler has a blend pot. However... It does not have control for output volume. (That can be added though.) I'm not sure if there are any PCB-designs floating around for it.

Dwubyd

Madbean pedals do one called the Eggsploder based on the Scrambler.

Great tip thanks.

I will have to check if it is fuzzy enough.

duck_arse

the Fender Blender and alikes have a buffered 'clean' blended w/ the messed up signal. last time I breadborded one, it sounded awful. the Mosrite Fuzzrite ALWAYS sounds the best - it mixes cleaner and fuzzier stages via the tone pot, the first stage could have its gain reduced and then might fit the bill.
don't make me draw another line.

pacealot

Another excellent fuzz with a clean blend is the Maestro FZ-1S, although to my knowledge there are no PCB kits readily available for it. It's also a very tweakable circuit, and can have a much wider range of available sounds than most demos tend to show.
"When a man assumes, he makes an ass out of some part of you and me."

amptramp

You could have something like a DOD250 which is just a non-inverting op amp gain stage feeding antiparallel diodes to ground through a resistor.  If you add a pot in series with the diodes, you have the equivalent of a buffered output that limits above a certain diode threshold but you always have a dry signal added to the fuzz.  Raise the resistance to increase dry signal.  You could have interesting effects with separate pots for the positive and negative diodes that would add some even-order harmonics when the pots were set at different resistances.

Processaurus

The DOD Punkifier is a neat one, it blends fuzz and overdrive. Graham Coxon used one in Blur. In practice the overdrive mixed with fuzz seems to blend better than dry and fuzz, they're more dynamically similar and harmonically similar. The dry sounds like a plinky attack followed by sustained fuzz. The balance of the two will change with how hard you play, or chords vs single notes, since the fuzz makes everything come out the same volume, but the dry can vary wildly. Some overdrive on the dry side almost doesn't sound like distortion, it is just easier to hear the notes and the dynamics are limited like the fuzz.

Schematic

Some day I'd like to do a Rat/Muff with the Punkifier idea, it's sounded great when mocked up with a mixer.

One other idea people have tried to get the dry and distortion envelopes more similar, is running a heavy handed compressor on the dry side, I believe the 70's Deluxe Big Muff did that.

iainpunk

what about the Gretsch ControFuzz?

its not actually a fuzz, but more of a fuzzy distortion, and it mixes clean in with the distorted signal, but out of phase, so it gets really brassy and harsh.

there is a gain control, but it determines the mix between the clean and drive signal, and the actual gain is fixed.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

bluebunny

Check out Charlie (moosapotamus) Barth's 360 Bass Fuzz, which he adapted from the original Acoustic circuit to include a clean blend.  I built one a while back using Charlie's board and quite like it.  :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Dwubyd

I actually ended up making a few versions of this.

1. DIYGP Super Siberian - 4 stage big muff with a clean blend
2. DIYGP Punkin Pi with a Buff and Blend board from Pedal Parts Australia (https://www.pedalpartsaustralia.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62_64&products_id=1513). The Punkin Pi is a Op Amp Big Muff. Erik from DIYGP suggested this option.
3. Paramix from Pedal Parts Australia with the fuzz on one path and the other path being clean.

All worked really well.