Which Big Muff Pi, the IC version Or Transistor version?

Started by rogeryu_ph, July 15, 2022, 04:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogeryu_ph

Hey DIYer,
Its been so long I never been here...  :)   
Great to see many old timer still lurking and wanna thanks them all for having this community alive, of course specially to Aron..
I still have pile of stock components to make one or two more project and thinker which of the BIG MUFF PI version I saw in TONEPAD project to make... for less components I see the IC version is much easy built but does it SOUND as the original transistorized version?
TIA
Roger   

FiveseveN

Quote from: rogeryu_ph on July 15, 2022, 04:18:12 AM
I see the IC version is much easy built but does it SOUND as the original transistorized version?

There are two answers that could apply depending on how much you care about authenticity:

1. No, and it's not supposed to.
2. If you put that scooped tone stack after any fuzzy high gain circuit it will get you close enough for rock'n'roll.

A somewhat intermediate solution is ROG's 22/7: https://www.runoffgroove.com/22-7.html
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

idy

It is interesting how putting "that" tone stack after a fuzz makes it sound like a muff. The "old tube sound fuzz" (or red llama or...) + BMP tone stack sounds more like a BMP than anything else. 22/7 is kind of a hybrid BMP and TSF.

If you have gone this far how can you resist building both? What self respecting fuzz lover could stop at just one? You might go mad wondering "maybe the other sounds better!"

Yes IC is simpler, build first.