News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Analog Pot to digital

Started by spacecommandant, January 10, 2023, 01:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spacecommandant

If you were to take an A250k or A500k pot and try to utilize it in multiple circuits that require a variety of pot values and sweeps (B1k, B10k, A50k, etc.), what would be the best way to achieve this? I know nothing about digital circuits but have been told it could be possible to do this. Does anyone have experience with this type of thing?
Thanks in advance!

FiveseveN

The best way to achieve it depends entirely on the details of the application, so can you be more specific?
E.g. why are you starting with those pots in particular? How much resolution do you need? Might those multiple circuits only require a control voltage that would be best served by a DAC?
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

spacecommandant

Let's say for arguments sake that those were the only pots available, and they would be used in various positions in analog pedals: a fuzz control in a fuzz face, for example, which is normally a C1k pot; maybe a depth control in a chorus that's normally B25k; etc.
Under the premise that those are the only pots available, what would be the best way forward to integrate them into these circuits?
I don't know where to start with DACs so I'd love to be pointed in the right direction if you have experience,
Thanks!

FSFX

Quote from: spacecommandant on January 10, 2023, 05:50:46 PM
Let's say for arguments sake that those were the only pots available
Pots are cheap compared to any digital alternative. Just get the correct ones for the circuit.
Once you go down the digital rabbit hole you will need to start learning all about microcontrollers, learn how to design and write software in a language like C++, learn all about DACs, ADCs, interface chips, etc, etc.

Ripthorn

Look up the geofex article "The secret life of pots". I use linear pots with microcontrollers and in the microcontroller I have lookup table for log and reverse log trappers that are truly log and reverse log. I have also used a single pot input to a microcontroller to control multiple digital outs. You could make one of those digital outs feed several digital pot IC's, but it won't be cheap or easy, necessarily.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

spacecommandant

Quote from: Ripthorn on January 10, 2023, 07:33:51 PM
Look up the geofex article "The secret life of pots". I use linear pots with microcontrollers and in the microcontroller I have lookup table for log and reverse log trappers that are truly log and reverse log. I have also used a single pot input to a microcontroller to control multiple digital outs. You could make one of those digital outs feed several digital pot IC's, but it won't be cheap or easy, necessarily.

Could you tell me what kind of microcontroller you use?
Thanks

Ripthorn

Quote from: spacecommandant on January 10, 2023, 07:37:19 PM
Quote from: Ripthorn on January 10, 2023, 07:33:51 PM

Could you tell me what kind of microcontroller you use?
Thanks

Depending on the task I will use ATTiny85 or ATTiny841. For anything with serial comms, 841 is preferred. I use 85 unless it simply doesn't have all the peripherals or IO I need.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

spacecommandant

I finally dove back into this subject over the past couple of days and feel I have a tiny bit more understanding.
Conceptually, I'm trying to learn a way to have a single analog pot control digital pots that are integrated into various pedals (e.g. the feedback, blend & rate of a PT2399 delay; the sweep & resonance of a wah; the dirt & tone of a fuzz pedal...).
Somebody pointed to using an ATtiny85 to control AD5272 or AD5292 pots which replace the analog pots of the circuits.
I'm aware that there will be challenges to replacing analog pots with the digital pots and it won't be as easy as simply dropping them in 1 to 1.

Is this still worthwhile to pursue this method or are there alternative ways to do this that would make better sense for this application?

Always grateful for everyone's patience and generosity!

Thanks again...