My chip looks.... too new - help a guy out - LM301AN

Started by Kevin Mitchell, February 13, 2023, 06:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Mitchell

Can anyone with a LM301AN on hand relay a quick measurement for me?
Quickest way would be diode test on meter, negative lead to pin 7, positive lead to pin 2 or 3. These are the respected input transistors tied to V+.
I just want to know if what I have looks per usual. Comparing with other BJT input opamps only gets me so far, as I can only verify what they aren't.
I've got 800mv on both inputs on all of a few dozen.

I would normally give the benefit of the doubt, but the closest similar images I can find are of known fakers but with the brand logo rubbed off.
Plus, I thought that genuine devices also have the dot impression, which these do not. In fact, it seems that all Nat-Semi ICs I have on hand until these, have the dot impression.

I know I'm a pain.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

Rob Strand

You are lucky,  I have a 1970s nat semi LM301A around my desk.

Old school digital 3.5 digit DMM.   When measuring a diodes with my DMM, the positive lead on the anode of a diode gives a normal reading.

I'm getting no diode voltage in either direction; pins 7 to 2 or 3.
Ohms: Negative lead to 7, positive lead to 2 or 3 gives 18MEG ohm.  Other way is > 20M.

It's possible the 800mV comes from protection diodes to +V that are part of their production process. 
See which direction they point.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Kevin Mitchell

Well... according to the datasheets with schematics it shows that both inputs go through an NPN base with collector tied to V+, so my go-to was the simple diode test - as I do when verifying transistor polarity. So I'm confused on why this isn't working for you?

I've got 8M resistance with negative lead on V+, positive on 2 or 3. Shows open on my meter flipping them around.

Trying them out anyhow. Fingers crossed.
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

QuoteWell... according to the datasheets with schematics it shows that both inputs go through an NPN with collector tied to V+, so my go-to was the simple diode test - as I do when verifying transistor polarity. So I'm confused on why this isn't working for you?
That makes a lot of sense!

Dammit, tried another meter.

Diode range =  ohm range 2k:  -ve lead on pin 7, and +ve lead on 2 or 3: 810mV
Reverse leads and no reading.

Ohms range 20M: -ve lead on pin 7, and +ve lead on 2,3:  500 kohm (some meaningless measurement of 0.5V to 0.8V)
Reverse leads and get > 20M.

Try previous meter, now diode range: -ve lead on pin 7, and +ve lead on 2 or 3 : 0.79V   !!!
Ohm range 20M: readings as before.
Grrr ... WTF ... surely a glitch caused by one of the UFO flyovers.
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Rob Strand

A third multimeter:

Diode range:  -ve lead on pin 7, and +ve lead on 2,3:  0.76V
Open in reverse.

Resistance range only goes upto 2M but reads open in each direction.
When I ratched the ranges to 2k, I get :
-ve lead on pin 7, and +ve lead on 2,3:  990 ohms (again a meaningless equivalent of 0.5V to 0.8V)
Open in reverse.

Rob Strand

In reality I think my first diode measurement was dodgy because the chip had oxidized pins.  I plugged the chip into the breadboard to hold the part but measured from the top by placing the probes on the fat part of the leads.   It could be 10 to 20 years since that part of the pins has been touched.

Kevin Mitchell

Thank you, Rob!
Are you getting a resistance reading between pins 6 & 8? Two nat-semi sheets and the Alfa AS301AN show a few resistors in between the comp & output connections. Expected ~7K resistance.
The on-semi sheet does not and the chips I have show open there as well.
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

I got 25.3k/25.9k depending on polarity.  I checked two ranges 200k and 2M to make sure the readings were resistive and not due to VBE drops.  (Also checked with two meters.)

I've extracted internal schematics before and the datasheets vary.  Sometimes I don't believe them.  Other times I merge info from more than one.

So your 7k5 comes from the National Semiconductor data (1999, 2000),

The ST 1995 datasheet shows 25k, (agrees with my measurements but my chips are National Semiconductor 1976)

And when I see these variations I often go back to early Fairchild datasheets, this one from Fairchild 1973 and it has no such resistor,

Look closely and you can see different connections due to drawing errors!

Try to find national semiconductor 1994, 1995:
got 1994, it has the 7k5,
https://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/nationalsemiconductor/DS007752.PDF

Kevin Mitchell

I figured there could be a typo in the schematics. So far they look... okay. But the considerable difference in resistance measurements is a flag.

I was already prepared to cut my losses and snag the new Alpha ones, but was hoping this "reputable vendor" would pull through - even after sending me some crap by mistake instead. Being in the NOS market for so long, I'm not surprised at all. They look very convincing, just not what I've been seeing after sourcing obsolete stuff for the better part of a decade.

Plugged 32 of them into a massive build last night. LEDs are lit, LFO flashing but no output.
Not blaming the opamps just yet. I'm actually kind of happy that it didn't work right away as I've been too lucky lately and I can keep working on it  :icon_lol:
I can only hope that the problem is not these opamps. On to debug & calibrate this beast which should make it more clear if the chips are legit or not.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on February 13, 2023, 06:17:57 PM
Can anyone with a LM301AN on hand relay a quick measurement for me?
Quickest way would be diode test on meter, negative lead to pin 7, positive lead to pin 2 or 3. These are the respected input transistors tied to V+.

I'm a pain.

I have three parts, each LM301AN. #3 is early, natsemi waves, flat divots, batch /749.
#2 is squiggle [late logo] natsemi, curved divots, wide white band, code M53AD.
#1 is waves natsemi, curved, wide white, code :M8930.

ohms test between pins 6 & 8 - 1 and 2 show ~5k each way. 3 shows ~6k each way.
diode test same pins - 1 and 2 show 1V35 one way, 1V11 the other. 3 shows 1V41 and 1V21.

diode test pin 7 to pins 2/3 - all three show ~~800mV one way, open the other.
same test with either hi or auto ohms - all show open, no reading.

meter is a piece of shit autorange. doesn't know where 0 ohms is.
I dunno what any this means.
don't make me draw another line.

Kevin Mitchell

Thanks, duck!

Quote from: duck_arse on February 14, 2023, 09:05:52 AM
I dunno what any this means.
We're checking the forward voltage drop on the input transistors and internal resistance through pins that are tied internally through a few series resistors. It seems ~7K to 25K is expected for comp to output resistance - depending on the flavor (maker, year, legitimacy). Mine do not have this resistance and shows open. 800mv seems to be the common ticket and shows that the inputs are likely single NPN transistors with the collectors tied to V+. So we know they're similar and correct in that respect.
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

QuoteMine do not have this resistance and shows open.
I wouldn't be overly concerned about that at the moment.   Interesting that the old Fairchild LM307 datasheet (similar to LM301A)  has the resistor but no value.

Something the LM301A does that many opamps can't is feedforward compensation.    If you look at the LT datasheet there is a waveform at the bottom right of the (third column) on page 3 (2-299) and the middle circuit on p5 (2-301).  If you can get that fast waveform from the inverting circuit there's a good chance you have something at least representative of an LM301A.   Common opamps will show waveforms like that at the bottom left of page 3, more than 10 times slower.    Unfortunately the breadboard capacitance will mess with it a little.

https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/lm101a.pdf

The voltage drop to +V your are measuring is another quirk of the LM301A.   The LM301A common mode range goes up to the +V, not many opamps did that.

[Another very old chip was the Lm709, it had some similarities with the LM301A. I haven't looked at the schematic.]

Rob Strand

I just remembered I had a board with 2x LM301AN's which was easy to get to.

Parts are National Semiconductor 1979.

*In circuit* I measured pin 6 to 8 at 4.9k ohm, both parts are same batch and measured the same.   Not far off Duck's 1977 devices.

The feedback resistor on pin 6 is 470k.  I didn't want to pull the parts but I tried shorting some of the resistors on the board and it didn't change the measurement.

Kevin Mitchell

Interesting... another one with resistance between comp and output unlike mine (I know, don't think too much on it). That last datasheet you've shared doesn't have that as well, another typo or perhaps minor discrepancies that didn't warrant a part # change? Anyways, you're right that I should plug it into one of the suggest circuit applications and scope out the transition speed.

I'm not entirely convinced that they are 100% real, but I've yet to have a firm reason to doubt besides esthetics.

Fixed my big project up, the one that uses 32 of these chips. First and last time I use spade lugs for speaker connections lol. We're bleep-blooping away. Still need to calibrate which will be the real tell about their authenticity, but it's looking good so far!

For the archive;

• SUPPORTER

Kevin Mitchell

Just did a google search on the # on top.
Someone over at DIYAUDIO had a chip with that same #, but it was an LF356 - a different single opamp.
While I barely have a grasp on mf codes, that's definitely suspicious. I'm thinking rebrand, though typically it's printed and not etched.
Edit: They're not the same as amongst other things, the 356 has p-channel jfets on the inputs and our measurement methods would be of opposite polarity.

Any thoughts?
  • SUPPORTER

FSFX

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on February 15, 2023, 08:20:04 AM
Interesting... another one with resistance between comp and output unlike mine (I know, don't think too much on it). That last datasheet you've shared doesn't have that as well, another typo or perhaps minor discrepancies that didn't warrant a part # change? Anyways, you're right that I should plug it into one of the suggest circuit applications and scope out the transition speed.

I'm not entirely convinced that they are 100% real, but I've yet to have a firm reason to doubt besides esthetics.

Fixed my big project up, the one that uses 32 of these chips. First and last time I use spade lugs for speaker connections lol. We're bleep-blooping away. Still need to calibrate which will be the real tell about their authenticity, but it's looking good so far!

For the archive;

Thanks for giving us all such clear images.
From the marking on the chip, it corresponds to that for a chip made by National Semiconductors with the following characteristics:

Date of manufacture - Jan/Feb 2002
Die manufacturing fab - Greenock, UK
Assembly plant - Malaysia
Lead finish - Pb- Free Tin

But looking at the datasheet it seems to show that National used a dot to mark pin 1 on the package as well as the notch at the end as shown in my picture from the datasheet.
So, although the marking code is consistent with National Semiconductors for chips made in 2002, the package looks inconsistent with the datasheet. Also the fine hatching of the laser engraving of the National logo looks a bit suspicious to me.

Kevin Mitchell

Thanks for chiming in!
And thank you for the breakdown on the code. That explains how two different ICs can have the same info stamped.

I totally agree with the dot observation. I had noted this in my top post as all nat-semi ICs in my inventory have this dot. This was the first thing I had noticed that made me suspicious. My lack of familiarity makes me unsure. As in, does this imply that ALL genuine nat-semi ICs have this dot? Also, are there other brands of LM301AN or AP chips that don't have the dot impression?

My experience with resurfaced ICs is that it's probably cheaper to print or stamp the label, I've even seen real chips get resurfaced - likely for a bait n' switch effort. In these strange times where practically all components are at slow turnout and high demand, they (counterfeiters) could certainly make the line more blurry by investing in machines to make it more convincing.

FWIW, I couldn't tell that the markings were etched until I took the photo this morning.

Anyways, as I've said I have a big project that takes many of these. If I can't calibrate it properly that will be my sign as there's many places where the design will not function properly with anything but a LM301A

Edit:
Shout out to my other thread, "Old or Fake Chips?"
Maybe I should change this one to "New or Fake Chips?"  :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

QuoteInteresting... another one with resistance between comp and output unlike mine (I know, don't think too much on it). That last datasheet you've shared doesn't have that as well, another typo or perhaps minor discrepancies that didn't warrant a part # change?
FYI, the 1996 Motorola (pre Onsemi days) datasheet doesn't have the resistor either.

It's very hard to workout when those schematics represent reality or deviate from reality (or have errors).

QuoteAnyways, you're right that I should plug it into one of the suggest circuit applications and scope out the transition speed
It's something concrete at least that be confirmed by measurement.   Another set-up is a gain of 10 (not unit) with a smaller compensation cap for more bandwidth but it's a less convincing test than the feedforward compensation test.

QuoteI'm not entirely convinced that they are 100% real, but I've yet to have a firm reason to doubt besides esthetics.
You can spend a lot of time doing forensic research to work out if the finish, makings, pin dimpling are all consistent.  To do that you have to get the year correct.   For example,

QuoteDate of manufacture - Jan/Feb 2002
Die manufacturing fab - Greenock, UK
Assembly plant - Malaysia
Lead finish - Pb- Free Tin
For example is it possible that date code is 2012?  and are those plant locations consistent with 2002 or 2012? Companies close down plants and move manufacturing locations over time - sometimes this info isn't easy to find although old databooks will give lists of locations, then you have to go over many years of databooks.     TI took over NS in 2011 so 2012 would be a fuzzy year for getting info.   

QuoteBut looking at the datasheet it seems to show that National used a dot to mark pin 1 on the package as well as the notch at the end as shown in my picture from the datasheet.
So, although the marking code is consistent with National Semiconductors for chips made in 2002, the package looks inconsistent with the datasheet. Also the fine hatching of the laser engraving of the National logo looks a bit suspicious to me.
Without doing forensics the lack of the pin 1 dimple is suspicious to me.

I think SI and TI has the top half-moon dimple but NS has the extra pin 1 dot.   Another feature worth checking is if NS had chamfering around the edge of the chip in either 2002 or 2012.    Font size and style is another one.  Mark Hammer posted a link to an excellent video in the Lounge section a few years ago and it mentions stuff like rubbing acetone (?) on the marking to working out if the chips have been remarked.

Rob Strand

QuoteAs in, does this imply that ALL genuine nat-semi ICs have this dot?
You would have to do a lot of digging to confirm the "ALL".   When you start gather info on this stuff it's frightening how many variations have occurred over time.

Rob Strand

I found this document but the only useful info is when changes occur after the TI takeover, end of 2012.  So that leaves a gap for most of 2012.

https://www.mouser.com/pcn/nationalsemi_20126102.pdf

The doc talks about the year marking being YY format before the change, so maybe the 2012 devices are marked 12 and your devices are in fact 2002.

See,
http://www.elenota.pl/datasheet-pdf/147885/National-Semiconductor/MARKING?sid=67b5a593918b05787cce7f253e6ffd1a

This one has a table,
https://e2e.ti.com/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/196/marking_5F00_conventions.pdf

Go to the table 2002:  0206 206 21 A
If I'm reading that correctly, presumably a combination of 1A is valid.
That's not to say it is legit, just consistent.

This looks like a 2003 chip with JR31AB marking.  Cannot vouch for authenticity even here but it's interesting it has the pin 1 dot.  Notice how the part number in closer to the date code and LM is on the same line as the 1458.

I've come to the conclusion I don't trust any of the 2000 and after markings!