Tonebender MKIII schematics and differences (tone bender mk3 3 knobs)

Started by Renegadrian, February 15, 2023, 03:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegadrian

hello everyone, I have to build a vox tonebender 3 knobs, negative ground obv, got some schematics in my archive and found some differences in the resistors at the base of the first transistor.
fuzzcentral and others have 220k from -v and 47k to +grd, others have 680k and 100k/150k.
fuzzdog pdf says 220k/47k is for colorsound and 680k/100k is for vox.
The small cap in the tone section is 1n or 2.2n.

to your experience, which are the best components values and why?!
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

bmsiddall

Greetings from Australia.

Have recently gutted my first MK3 (220k/47k string) with 680k/150k version.  Prefer the latter as it seems to be a little less smooth, grittier, more personality.  The transistors are different so there's probably more to it than that.

I'd also add the I prefer my dizzy tone to the buzzaround I built - dizzy tone has the 680k/150k string.

Cheers,
Brett
  • SUPPORTER

bmsiddall

I forgot to add that I bumped up the small tone capacitor to 3.3 nF, which seems to give a better sweep of the tone control .
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

IMHO, 680k/100k and 220k/47k bias configurations are a convenient trade-off between Ge and Si BJTS..
(other than input impedance difference..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

bmsiddall

Out of curiosity, what values would you consider ideal for ge and si? Asking for a friend  ;)
  • SUPPORTER

mac

I changed the 2n2 to 4n7 in the tone control, lower the series output resistor, and wired the fuzz control as an inverse volume pot --> legs 1 and 3 across the reverse diode and leg 2 to the 220n. It could be wired as a standard vol pot but Q3 bias will change to the point of cut off.
Transistors are Matsushita 2SD352 NPN, very low freq cut off --> keep highs at bay at full fuzz.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

andy-h-h

Here's a table with a number of common Tone Bender MKIII / MKIV values - https://vero-p2p.blogspot.com/2022/12/tone-bender-mkiii-component-values-table.html

I much prefer increasing the 2n2 to 4n7 or at least a 3n3.  More mids as the HPF cut-off is reduced from about 7.2khz down to 3.3khz and 4.8khz.   I also completely remove the resistor limiting the output and increase the volume pot.  This is stock for D*A*M MKIIIs