Aion Particle Fuzz - one question on function, one on design

Started by myusernamerulez, February 18, 2023, 11:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myusernamerulez

Hello Mates,

I've just finished building the Aion Particle Fuzz (https://aionfx.com/project/particle-vintage-fuzz/) and now I'm somewhat unsecure, if it's working as designed?
Bypass is working allright.
Clipping selection switch is working allright.
The circuit has one pot for Balance and one pot for Harmonics. Both pots are working all right, but if I turn either one completely down, the output gets muted - independent of the selected clipping type. As if both were just leveling up the volume up and down on a 2-volume level pot guitar. So is this working as designed?

The other question is regarding the circuit design: I wanted to use my own LED for the build and have soldered a resistor that I know would work well with 9V and that specific LED. I've soldered the cathode of the LED to the square marked solder point on the PCB. But the LED remains unlit when the pedal is switched on with the footswitch.
Also, when I try to see with my multimeter, if the circuit is a given from the resistor to the LED in diode mode, it signals OK and the LED is getting lit and it shows around 2.54V. What might I have done wrong? I've managed to measure a voltage of around 9V arriving at the front of the resistor from the edge of the footswitch daughterboard, should this be really the case?

thank you

antonis

>The circuit has one pot for Balance and one pot for Harmonics.<

You can call them as you like but they are "Volume" pots.. :icon_wink:
(in the mean of signal amplitude dividing..)

>Both pots are working all right, but if I turn either one completely down, the output gets muted - independent of the selected clipping type. As if both were just leveling up the volume up and down on a 2-volume level pot guitar. So is this working as designed?<

Yes.. :icon_wink:
(you can place a resistor, of 10% of pot nominal resistance value, between lug 1 and GND for not completely sound muting..)

>I've soldered the cathode of the LED to the square marked solder point on the PCB.<

That's a POSITIVE point mark..
(see also polarized caps markings.. ignore D1 respective orientation)

edit: :icon_redface: Welcome :icon_wink:

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

myusernamerulez

Thank you antonis.

I've fixed the LED. Now I can fully enjoy it.

I might mod the pots later on, but I'd rather add a bias pot, because I'm eager to do a pedal like Lemon Audio's "Hurts"