BAZZ FUSS Gain pot added

Started by bzblues, February 20, 2023, 05:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzblues

Hi guys!

I've built the awesome little Bazz Fuss. This version I found online and it sounds killer. The thing is I wanted to add a gain knob and, after investigating, I read that you should wire a 1k pot to the Emiter of the transistor (check the layout)

I've tried but it doesn't work out. When I turn the knob the signal just fades away and comes back. Should I try other pot values or is it because of the layout?

Thanks a lot!

Brian.

FiveseveN

Quote from: bzblues on February 20, 2023, 05:14:32 AM
check the layout
A schematic would be more useful, plus that layout is not entirely clear with your black lead overlapping a black package. Is this what you did?

Also keep in mind that it's a gain reduction control, in case you were looking for more instead of less.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

bzblues

Hi, thanks for the response.

Yes, I meant readuction in gain to make it more dinamic to use. The pot wiring to the emiter would be something like this:

FiveseveN

Yup, that should do it.
Are you saying it acts more like a volume control or sounding misbiased?
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

antonis

As long as there is enough board space, I'd wire a 10μF to 22μF cap between pot wiper and GND..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

bzblues

Quote from: FiveseveN on February 20, 2023, 06:21:07 AM
Yup, that should do it.
Are you saying it acts more like a volume control or sounding misbiased?

Lets say I move the wiper just (up or down, it makes no difference) and the signal gets cut off completly. Then it comes back on its own, so its not acting as a volume pot or gain redution, it is acting very strange. I try several 1k pots and the result is the same

bzblues

Quote from: antonis on February 20, 2023, 06:33:30 AM
As long as there is enough board space, I'd wire a 10μF to 22μF cap between pot wiper and GND..

You mean a polarized cap? (sorry, I'm very new at this) you say that will solve the problem?

FiveseveN

Right, it cuts out because that simple gain control changes the bias and it takes a second to settle into the new conditions. Only an issue if you want to change the control while playing.
And like antonis said a better way to do it is to vary the AC feedback while leaving DC bias alone, it only takes an extra cap. See how it's implemented here:

You might also like the other additions.

antonis

ΙΜΗΟ, BC547 should be of C classification.. :icon_wink:

That kind of circuit DOES need a BJT of as high as possible current gain..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

mayoayox

Quote from: FiveseveN on February 20, 2023, 07:43:48 AMRight, it cuts out because that simple gain control changes the bias and it takes a second to settle into the new conditions. Only an issue if you want to change the control while playing.
And like antonis said a better way to do it is to vary the AC feedback while leaving DC bias alone, it only takes an extra cap. See how it's implemented here:

You might also like the other additions.

what is R3 doing there? does the 100k to ground help lower pregain volume?

antonis

With SW2 open, Q1 needs bias somehow, doesn't it..?? :icon_wink:

mark2

100k on the collector isn't enough for the 2N3904. Increase that to 500k'ish and you'll get a smooth gain control.

Failing that, increase the pot to 10k. I use that combination with great success.