Teach me how to do graphics. What are my options?

Started by rschultz, March 11, 2023, 01:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rschultz

I've built lots of pedals, from kits and my own designs... but always in a plain enclosure. It's time for me to figure out graphics. What are my options? Spray paint over a stencil? Iron-on stuff? Decals/stickers? I'd like to learn Illustrator (or a free alternative) and then apply it somehow.

Here is a pdf of PPP artwork for a pedal I'm building from Aion FX. But I have no idea what to do with it.

bluelagoon

If you are up for it, you are best to learn Adobe Illustrator or some graphic software that allows you to create Vector files, Once you get to know how to properly Vectorize a file, then you need to get over to Tayda Electronics online, where you make a purchase on whatever type enclosure box you are looking to use, then you place that in your shop cart, then you purchase a UV print service where you submit your Vector graphics file for the design you have created, Then if you are also willing and to make it easier on yourself you can also purchase a drilling service whereby all the drill holes you require are then also cut out to your requirement, this also needs your careful attention to plot where your drill holes go. You can even get square and rectangle cutouts done, takes a bit of working out to align with your graphics, But makes the whole process much easier on the FX Building.

Tayda UV Service Link -

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/enclosures/enclosure-uv-printing-service.html

All in all it is likely very close to same cost outlay for one completed box from Tayda as is for doing one yourself, when you take into account you no longer need to purchase any paint spray cans, no longer need any Clear Transfer paper, etc etc, for all those costs to be doing it yourself. Also there is the time cost whereby no time outlay of your own to get a completed well finished box with excellent hard wearing graphics, Well worth in my experience and a darned lot nicer and less convoluted that getting them finished in your garage at home.

And while you are over at Tayda, you can likely pickup a lot of electrical components you require for the builds you are doing.
There are also discounts when you purchase a larger quantity of the Boxes you want done.

Disclaimer: I have no shares or financial affiliation with Tayda Electronics, Just like the quality service they provide.  ;)
Cheers, Trevor

bluelagoon

I had a look at your graphics file and that is one easy looking graphic file to Vectorize, If you were looking to go that route of giving Tayda a go for a UV Print, then I could easily get your file vectorized for you. You could easily drill the holes out at home after getting a Tayda UV print box done. or I could possibly also help you with the Drill plotting needed for Tayda drill service.

What size box were you looking to do, a 125B or a 1590B?

let me know if I can help,
Cheers, Trevor

bluelagoon

All Good, I found the Artwork file over at Aion for the Dimension C, will have a look at it, it may already be to size and vectorized, shall check it later and get back to you.

One other thing to mention is that if you do use Tayda, their postage rates are very reasonable and cheap, compared to elsewhere.

Checked the Aion DC2 Artwork file, and it is already vectorized, All needs doing now if interested in a Tayda UV print job is just isolate the box graphics from rest of the pdf file and nominate a color preference for the graphics and easy peasy its done, ready for submitting for a UV Graphics print job.

Let me know if you need any help if the uv printing is of interest to you, Alternatively, theres always the cans of spray paint and either iron on or water slide decals, usually get a decent job done, there's also the option hand painting, among other ways such as metal etching.
Plenty of youtube tutorials on most any these methods.
Good Luck

ElectricDruid

If you want a free package for doing vector graphics, Inkscape is pretty good these days.

Personally, I don't get on with the Adobe stuff any more anyway - it was ok years ago, but they kept adding stuff and adding stuff and now it's bloatware and I can never find anything.

I've tried printing onto clear stickers for doing stompbox labels and never liked the look of it. I did an amp fascia like that once, and that looked better, clear sticker over brushed aluminium. The edges were hidden which helped. I've also tried doing waterslide decals, and you can certainly get some nice results, but it's fiddly. Also these techniques are both "dark colours on a light background" or even "black on colour" since you can't easily print white, *except* on a UV printer. Maybe I should see about getting white toner for my laser printer. That would be interesting...

Other more home-made looking options include paint pens or fine brushes, and this depends on you either being a fairly skilled artist or having a propensity for a punk aesthetic!

Another option which some people around here have made good use of is "PCB as front panel" - get a PCB fabbed that you then put on the top of the box as a front panel. This can include silver or gold areas where the track layer shows through, and also have a silkscreen on top, as well as several possible colours of etch resist solder mask. So there are fairly creative possibilities within the limitations. And it's often done using software we already know well, so that helps!

<minor edit>

stallik

Quote from: ElectricDruid on March 12, 2023, 01:08:00 PM

Personally, I don't get on with the Adobe stuff any more anyway - it was ok years ago, but they kept adding stuff and adding stuff and now it's bloatware and I can never find anything.

I hear you! I was forced to keep up with the Adobe versions for years when I was working in graphics. Each new version added another (few) features and it got to the point where I wondered if I was getting much value from the upgrades. So, I fired up a really old Mac which was loaded with version 3. Not CS3, the old one with the new layers feature. I decided to do all my photoshop work on that to see how long it would be before I missed a 'new' feature. 3 months!

Now I'm retired, I just use my last paid for version of PShop & Illustrator. No subscriptions and no new learning curve
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

slashandburn

Quote from: ElectricDruid on March 12, 2023, 01:08:00 PM
I've also tried doing waterslide decals, and you can certainly get some nice results, but it's fiddly.

This is my usual approach these days graphics. Took a while to get my process and technique down and there's limitations, occasional screw-ups and nightmares of Lovecraftian proportions when Ive to switch decal paper brands. But can achieve great results with just some decal paper, some clear acrylic lacquer and a £40 inkjet printer. Graphics "designed" in Inkscape (I say designed, that the most frustrating part for me. Usually involved a lot of late nights with Johnnie Walker where I just intermittently swear loudly at the laptop until eventually I wake up one morning with something that looks alright.

Happy to talk through my process if anyone would be interested. I've also considered making thin engraved plates to mount on the top of the box but never got round to experimenting with that yet.

I absolutely adore reversed etched enclosures, but it's so, so much work and even the smallest mistakes are hard to recover from. I really wish I had the time for that these days but even if I did I don't think I'd be doing it very often.

ElectricDruid

I suppose Desktop CNC laser or mill is another possibility that hasn't been mentioned yet. Those can certainly produce professional looking results, and although the set-up cost is high, once you've done one, you can run off as many more as you like for basically zero cost/effort.

slashandburn

Quote from: ElectricDruid on March 13, 2023, 06:28:40 PM
I suppose Desktop CNC laser or mill is another possibility that hasn't been mentioned yet. Those can certainly produce professional looking results, and although the set-up cost is high, once you've done one, you can run off as many more as you like for basically zero cost/effort.

I've seen MakerSpace's getting mentioned here, from both sides of the Atlantic. Maybe CNC could be more of a viable option for people, they've just started rolling out MakerSpaces in our council area here in Scotland (through the Council, no less) and my local one apparently offers access to CNC equipment. Another thing I've still to look into. Promising though!

Phend

Cermark, but laser power is needed.
It does not come off.
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

mark2

On the note about laser power, I've been doing some face plates lately with pretty good results. I have a variety of colors and can do it pretty cheap if anyone's interested.

Toy Sun

Big fan of the laser, but I had a few good reasons to get one, not just pedals, plus I do laser file design/creation for work. They are wonderful machines. All of these couldn't have been done w/o one. Variety of techniques - some are painted acrylic lasered from the back but also the "Neve" styled one is directly lasering onto the enclosure, then paint fill. All of these took a lot of time to develop and perfect, though (and the work continues).

Kevin Mitchell

Heh. Used that artwork for a hot-iron toner transfer. That was about 4 years ago.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Toy Sun on March 16, 2023, 03:17:10 PM

Love this backlit one. That's laser-etching into an acrylic, right?

The impressive thing is the range of different stuff you've managed to do with it, though. Nice work.

Toy Sun

Thanks, I have a huge backlog of ideas and techniques to try. The idea was not to try and not repeat myself and have a "thing". Wanted to share with you guys how many things one can do with a laser - or access to one. I used a makerspace for a few years before I got mine.

That said, my current direction is to just box things up, use masking tape for labels, play through them and maybe do component swaps, etc...

bluelagoon

Toy Sun, Really like the Envelope Filter, Nice Concept grest graphic display, Well done.

Phend

Yes, lasers are great tools. I like the florescent acrylic, the stuff that glows. Have done many photographs on clear acrylic. Could put one on a pedal for an interesting result. Don't scratch it ! Using an acrylic face plate on a pedal permits easy changing if it is not glued on. As John as shown and my business card says "Your imagination is not the limit". The laser I bought has paid for itself, it was expensive. Done lots and lots of hobby projects but the pay came from industrial contracts.
Wood, Cork, Metal, Granite, Slate, Leather, Plastics, Brass.
Like, but have not used, the clear shaft pots from Small B. Lets the internal led shine thru.

• SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

mark2

Quote from: Toy Sun on March 16, 2023, 03:17:10 PM

How did you mount the LED(s) to backlight it? It looks so uniform.

And is that a back-painted clear piece, with the labels reverse etched off?

slashandburn

Are iainpunk and hexjibber still around here? They both had some fantastic enclosures. I'm not sure iainpunks approach a lot looked cnc cut, hexjibber put out some absolutely incredible reverse etches and has a very thorough and helpful guide on etching.

rschultz

I apologize. Somehow I didn't have notifications turned on for this thread that I created. Great responses. I ended up learning how to do Waterslide. It took a few tries, the final product was decent but there are some small air bubbles in it. I should mention I designed this in powerpoint, had to download the BOSS font.