Bought my 1st Tube amp!! Effect recommendations?

Started by jimbob, December 20, 2003, 01:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

I finally bought my 1st tube amp. Awsome! Better than all the cheap ss amps ive had in the past and never realized the difference..Excited still! Anyway, I have the tube screamer built for this. What other pedals might sound great w a tube amp? No science needed..Just opinions.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

bwanasonic

Well it depends on what tube amp. If you got a Fender Twin, a rangemaster might not be much fun. But if you got an AC30 or a Marshall plexi it would be cool.  I'm not a real big Tube Screamer fan lately (although I still have and use the TS9 I bought in the early 80's), as I prefer the OD from my amp goosed by either an AMZ Mosfet boost or Rangemaster clone. I consider a germanium fuzz face de riguer also. You may find the coolest effect is the one you get by trying different tubes.

Have fun
Kerry M

nightingale

jimbob~
pretty much any booster sounds sweet through a tube amp, if you have a breadboard, and some parts laying around... try a couple different booster circuits on the breadboard... which ever one you like the most, build/box one with some killer mod to suit your tastes... i have some different tube amps, and each one likes a little different boost circuit... pretty cool IMO!
hope this helps,
btw, which amp did you get?
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

Paul Marossy

Depending on what tube amp you have, if it was designed to produce distortion, tubes can make a very big difference in the sound you hear coming out of the speaker(s).

jimbob

Peavey Triple XXX 112 1x12. I was never a peavey fan before this. I was actually in the market for a Marshall.. I thought this had more of the sound i wanted.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031220134137065026027131187715/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/481355///
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

runmikeyrun

For some great, thick, over the top distortion build something with a high output (not necessarily lots of fuzz but just lots of level out) like a LM386 project.  Back the gain down and crank the output, it's bliss!!
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Ansil

are you wanting to use a pedal like distortion or od to help shape the tone.  or do you need a standalone pedal to run the clean channel??  or are you lookin for a non gain device

jimbob

Im wanting to bring out the best of the amp's distortion..I was hoping there was a pedal that could put it over the top.  Maybe something heavier..I have recently come to the realization that the most popular name brand doesnt always mean quality. I generally hate dod from past experience but the dod 250 and death meatal pedal i really like. What does this have to do with what im looking for? Because if it makes what i gots better--thazn its good enough for me--popularity dont pay my bills.. :lol: More ideas and suggestions welcome..thanks all! I very much appreciate all ideas--There are no stupid ideas/suggestions...just blank lines..

Ansil

drop me an email . i got what you need.

austenfantanio@yahoo.com

Fret Wire

Look's like a nice rig. What brand tubes did it come with?
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)