zoom 505 offered for me to buy!!!

Started by youngi, February 21, 2004, 06:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngi

hii,
well a used zoom 505 is offered to me for $40
i can't afford buying a more optional multi effect,
would u advise me to buy it, i find really a good bargin since the prices here in egypt are soooooo  high due to our bad economy.

please advise me!!!!!

also can i buy a volume pedal and plug in the place of the expression pedal?? will it work?

Peter Snowberg

I think the only real question is do YOU like the effects it gives? I have never played with one, but I looked at a number of reviews at Harmony Central and it looks decent for an inexpensive multi-effects unit.

From the reviews, it looks like a MOSFET booster in front would be a good addition.

If you don't like it, how easy would it be to resell it for $40?

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

petemoore

Of course like any Cavteats...it depends.
 For long echoes and all kinda patches in one box...it'll do that...
 As to the quality or musicality of those patches [?able///opinions wermcan...
 As to the compatibility, if it's like what I had [RP100 Digitech] which acted just like what other reviews read about using it with other effects...doesn't have much use for them...
 I tried mine live and it sounded like hammers in a steel drum going crazy sometimes, other times [if I had any kinda delay running like reverb] the thing would cut out...NO SOUND...for as long as it takes to say NO SOUNDS slowly...sometimes it was sorta passable sounding.
 My overall rating as a stage unit is: Wretched. a bane to musicality compared to analog stuff.
 I tried a Roland [forget the model letters], one of them 2000 buk jobbies, looked pretty new, had much higher resolution, I was interested in it as a trade for a Fender Strat, did really cool stuff in the living room [I temper my 'digital novelty'excitement now], but the sound faded, then came back, then disappeared...he re-started...it worked for a while...then the stories about how I didn't know and I'll take such and such for it...I sedd I'll give you 50 cents for it...literally, mitha rippa...yea get on home ..lol.. and take yer junk too...
 Anyway I offed the digitech unit with a half broken [needs adapter to work] adapter jack that's impossible to fix [inside the box anyway]...predisposition for failure I sezz.
 It always managed to work for me [and sounded just] like the day I bought it [except for some considerable outages and PS cord/jack twiddling.
 I had quite a time trying to dial in a tone I liked and dial OUT the digitalness...I concluded it can't be done.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Vincent Volta

Hey,
thats a good one in Egypt, China or here in Argentina! The 505 sounds cool on crazy stuff: the pitch programs, the phasers, the modulating ones, etc. It sucks on chorus, reverb, delay and distortion ( except for the fuzz ) The forte of this unit is mixing all the FX you can and adding a distortion pedal to it is your best bet. Dont ever use it live, its a pain in the ass to do so.
May the yoghurt be with you.

Hal

i bought a 505 about 4 (?) years ago, for $40 used.  Now I see 'em for about $30 used, but still pretty stable.  um...I can get a decent solid state distortion out of it, but the most usable effects are the weird stuff.  They delay is decent, though, for $40...

now I use it for recording.  It stays right next to my computer, until I can afford a POD...

Dan N

youngi

petemoore

Gives you a foot treadle [like wah] controller for parameters like wah, Volume, pitch shift..whatever the unit uses the Expresssion   pedal for.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.