Stutter pedal

Started by { antonio }, February 24, 2004, 11:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

{ antonio }

what ever happened to the stutter pedal?  did that ever get finished?  did anyone ever build it?

godspeed & shalom.  antonio.
shalom + godspeed.  antonio.
www.myspace.com/magnificat

petemoore

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

{ antonio }

i saw the schematic at GEO but i someone had also built it when he released it and it didnt work.  

i just wanted to kn ow if that was a finished shematic.  thanks.
shalom + godspeed.  antonio.
www.myspace.com/magnificat

Pedro Freitas

I breadboard it with a diferent zener (the only I had :)  ,a 6.8V) and it made awfull pops switching the FET on/off.
Still have to try it with the specified 5,6V one.

Pedro
Please vitist: http://www.memoriar.org/

Transmogrifox

Switch pops are hard to get around.  I reccommend putting a gain of about 10 on the amplifier before the switch, then divide the output by 10 to increase "signal to pop" ratio.  Using a CD4016 or 4066 may help, as well, but the datasheets on those report a significant control input to signal path cross-talk....

I haven't built the stutter pedal specifically, but my chopper Fuzz  ( www.geocities.com/transmogrifox/chopper ) is nearly equivalent in concept and it works fine...all but the switch pop/clock feedthrough, but I figured that wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't amplifying it by a gain of 200+ after the switch.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

Chris S

Is it possible to get the stutter thing by modding a tremolo - like the EA???

smoguzbenjamin

The EA is pretty choppy as it is at max depth... try playing with the resitors around the depth pot, see what you can find.
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Transmogrifox

yeah, just modulate the EA with the oscillator that the stutter pedal uses for the JFET.  If it is too abrupt, then experiment with some capacitors to ground to soften the modulating signal.

The stutter pedal advantage is that it's like a real choppy tremolo with adjustable duty cycle.  That duty cycle adjustment is very fun...you can get some "pseudo pick attack" sounds with a more narrow pulse.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.